Crowning moments of psychotic video game obsession.

You’re kidding me, Esker.

My most obsessive was probably playing Birthright long after I’d conquered the whole map -starting from a kingdom with one province surrounded by two of the strongest human kingdoms- just to maximise the trade and power levels of every single province. For the good of my subjects. And I was perilously close to the goal when I got bored having to fight 10 battles each turn against bandits, as if I used auto-battle I’d have to spend money to raise new troops, which money could be used to upgrade the provinces. Then Sierra folded and with it the two promised sequels. Shit.

Other than that I’ve been regularly playing single-player Starcraft for a decade, [strike]played[/strike] beat Fallout 2 with a Hand-to-Hand character -which meant challenging groups of ten far after the middle of the game equipped with the spear I’d gotten from the first area of the game- and I’ll stop replaying Zelda:ALTTP when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

All in all, it seems I get obsessed at times to revisit old games.

… and I thought finishing Rampage on NES was something. :
Sin wins.

I put 120 hours into Dragon Quest 7, beating both bonus dungeons and getting God to live in my town.

I also got into Lower Norfair in a recent run of Super Metroid without getting the Space Jump, absolutely not an easy feat as the gravity jump is really difficult to pull off. But I can wall jump and mockball all over Zebes.

I maxed out Super Mario 64 and its DS port, as well as every star in Mario Galaxy as both Bros (A lot of people say Luigi’s Purple Coins is the hardest one to get, but I find the final few Daredevil Stars to be nightmarish)

I beat Metroid Prime 2 on Hard Mode. I’m counting that. Hell, I’d count it if I stopped after the bloody Boost Guardian.

I’ve played through Mega Man 2 on Difficult (ie: regular you frickin wimp) using only the Arm Cannon, swapping to a special weapon only in places it was required to progress. I made Crash Man suffer.

I’ve beaten Hell in Cave Story. Balos Schmalos.

I beat Rast once in Starcraft Well, I was on a winning team that was fighting against him. …and he was fighting our team alone. …and we won by the skin of our teeth

You are a far braver man than I.

Also: Fuck the Daredevil stars in general and Bouldergeist in particular. :scream:

Sin beat 7th Saga…he’s beaten us all right there.

The only other things I had were:
Beating Drakkhen (Good god that game sucked…)
Getting 285 Trophies in Super Smash Bros. Melee (There’s only around 290)

I’m guessing nobody here has got all the Battle Trophies for Star Ocean 3? I’d consider that very obsessive. God knows I could never do it.

-I’ve played Disgaea and Disgaea 2 for 150+ hours each

-Got to Ozma in FF9 at about level 40 and got slaughtered, then killed off what seems like the entire race of Grand Dragons for hours on end the get to level 99 and got my revenge

-I’m already closing in on 80 hours in FFXII and I haven’t even got to the Great Crystal yet

An “easier” alternative: Kill Grand Dragons with L5 death until you’re satisfied with the amount of damage Freya does with the skill dependant on dragons slain - while stealing with Zidane to up his Thievery Damage. Exit the area at times to collect frogs for frog drop.

There, you’ve got three skills that do damage regardless of defense and Ozma’s physical attack immunity, with stuff that you’ve been doing. Add in Eiko/Garnet to Haste/Cure and it’s a solid team.

I played through DQ7 4 times. Twice on my own to do the shrine and with 2 separate GFs.

Swordless 2nd Quest in the Original Zelda.
Minimalist runs on LttP, LA, MM, and MC (I’ve also dug up every possible place within LttP, LA, OoS, OoA, and MC).
I’ve beaten SRW OG 1&2.
I came within one pellet of energy to finishing Megaman Zero on a hard mode saveless run.
I’ve beaten MMX2 without any upgrades.
I’ve beaten Sword of Hope 1.
I’ve played through Legend of Mana about a dozen times.
I’ve beaten Sword of Mana.
I’ve beaten Dawn of Mana.
I’ve played through the GBA port of Tales of Phantasia.
I’ve beaten Ninja Gaiden within seven hours for my first playthrough.
I then went and beat it again within an additional hour.
I’ve played through DQVII one and a half times (will one day beat it).
Got up to level 99 in Secret of Mana.
I’ve collected every item, secret area, equipment, and card within Castlevaina CotM.

Ouch man… just… ouch.

So what did you spend the other remaining month of your lifetime on?

I’m not sure if most of these exactly count. I mean, getting 120 stars in the mario games is still, within the parameters of the game, an acceptible achievement. They don;t feel like the sort of totally pointless achievements I was going for.

I’ll concede beating 7th saga, though. Got to this one town where you HAVE to fight one of your competitors, and got compeltely stuck there. Fucking priest.

I’d concede playing more than one random battle of 7th Saga (does Sin’s being an android disqualify him?).

You know, all this talk about the 7th Saga has gotten me interested in getting it. Unfortunately I’m going to have to wait for it to show up on the VC since I still need to either replace or repair my SuperNES controllers.

7th Saga show up on the VC? The day that happens, I’ll eat my hat.

There are these things called emulators nowadays. You can get something called a ROM, and download it to your computer machine, and play it like on the TV!

Better yet, connect a controller to your computer and your computer to your television. Then its like playing on your SNES!

Holy shit! You astound me.

Or better still, I could purchase a replacement controller and a copy of the game and play that. It’ll really feel like I’m playing on a SuperNES then (and as a bonus I don’t have to feel like a pirate).

I’ll be amazed if you can even find 7th Saga.

Has anyone beaten Beyond the Beyond? That game beat me. I stopped after 10 hours when I was in a dark labyrinthine dungeon that had pitfalls that dropped you to other floors.