Chrono Cross fucking sucks

YEZZ INDEEEEEEE!D!!1!11

And BigDiz? If you’re surprised at a random off-topic post, you obviously haven’t been at RPGC for very long. :3

For the record, I hated Chrono Trigger. Found it extremely boring to play. Storyline didn’t hook me much, the music, well, was good at points.

So, I figured, with the changes they made to Chrono Cross, it wouldn’t be that bad, huh?

I was wrong. I personally believe it sucked as much as Chrono Trigger. The characters didn’t have development in both games, and in Cross, you get the feeling they threw everything out the window and started anew. When you have a time-traveling storyline, there’s a lot you need to pay attention to, and the same goes for when you’re crossing dimensions, and that, well, I can’t complain, because I haven’t seen a game that did it better. That doesn’t mean it’s good. It just means that no one’ll touch that shit.

(Wait, Persona 2 did the whole crossing dimensions thing, but not in real time…still, worked better than CC)

As Sin said, the storyline is executed poorly. It suffers from the same problem as CT in my opinion in that the hooks are at the wrong place and the wrong time. In the beginning, the game is supposed to hook you into it. The music doesn’t help, of course, but I’ve heard shittier soundtracks. The beginning where you’re in the castle was a good hook. The fact that it was always a random character was also fun. After that, the game takes a drop in quality. By the time you get hooked to the story, you’ll have ignored the rest of it, and you’re gonna go “Huh? Why the? Okay, this sucks.”

The gameplay…oy. The spell grid is a good idea, but in such a game, it tends to kill any individuality the character has. Of course, they tried to counter that by using the character base elements…and it failed. It’s not good. Not by a long shot. In a game with this much characters, you NEED to have things that set them apart more than just 3 skills and an element. The character needs to feel like his own person instead of carbon copy no.254.

Character designs were better than in CT. I found myself attracted to the designs, lack of character depth for a few didn’t bother me as much as CT’s.

In other words, I find that CC was utterly disappointing, mostly as it was heralded as the sequel to end all rumors that sequels suck.

Well, I ain’t gonna lie, I’ve been here for all of three and a half weeks.

LIES

All I’m saying is that you shouldn’t complain about random topic changes. Of course, by this thread’s very nature, i.e. complaining about a particular game, magnetically draws the topic back to the original one, since everyone knows there’s nothing fanboys like more than to complain. :smiley:

I’m going to have to side with the people who like Chrono Cross, but also agree that it isn’t quite as good as Chrono Trigger.

I thought the music was excellent (I own the soundtrack), battle system innovative (once I got used to it), and the plot overall was pretty good.

I will freely admit that characterization was nowhere near par, and the ending was way too rushed. However, I can’t fault them for not always giving clear directions on what to do next, because that makes the game more challenging. I don’t want to be spoon fed when I’m playing. And while the ending was rushed, things were hinted towards it that you can see when you play through again.

And Sinistral, your plot summary wasn’t entirely accurate. You’re not “randomly” sent to another dimension at the beginning of the game. That is explained (in the rushed ending) as being part of Project Kid where Kid will sometime in the future reach back in time to send Serge to the other dimension.

As for walking into the bad guy continuously, that’s because you are pursuing him a lot of the time. And since he also tends to pursue you back, it leads to a lot of meetings.

As for the Schala thing, there was no split in the dimensions when she heard Serge. And hearing things from the timeline at the End of Time/Tesseract is canon from CT: that’s where Gaspar’s ‘To Do’ list comes from. So she hears him not ‘just in time to prevent’, but merely ‘before’ she goes ‘nuts’. This also clears her head enough to create the daughter-clone as a last ditch effort to save a part of herself.(I have no idea what you’re talking about when you say Kid knows things she shouldn’t. But I’d love it if you could tell me some examples!

As for the Wazuki-Lynx connection, that happens before the time split. Wazuki gets intergrated into FATE when Serge is three years old (which is when Schala heard him crying), while the time split happens when he’s ten. Wazuki fights it long enough to get Serge home, and then succumbs. The reason there’s no Lynx in Home World is because he went to the Dead Sea with the crew from Viper Manor and got ‘stuck’ there like they did as a spirit-type thing. I’ll agree with you it’s kinda silly how the Lynx-Wazuki connection doesn’t get explained until the end. In my opinion, it would have been a good idea to do that at the last battle with FATE, but that’s just me.

I don’t agree that the storyline had nothing to do with the ending, because like I said earlier, there are hints when you replay the game.

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy the game. At least it wasn’t something you bought! If you (or anyone else) disagrees with anything in the ‘plot summary’, please let me know! I could be interpreting things wrong, after all.

I thought the last battle was with Lavos merged with Schala, or something?

It is; I’m talking about the one in Chronopolis, which is why I added the qualifier with FATE, as any battle with Lynx could theoretically also be considerered a fight with FATE. I can see how my wording caused confusion… Sorry about that!

kthxbye. Y’know, none of this would’ve happened if they’d released Chrono Trigger as Final Fantasy 7. (Of course, what it means is that people’d be complaining about Squall in FF9, and FF12 would be the online one, but …)