Cannibal Corpse

Is anyone here a fan of the death metal quintet Cannibal Corpse? Has anyone here even heard of Cannibal Corpse?

Most of you, at the very least, have heard SOME Cannibal Corpse…due to a scene in ‘Ace Ventura: Pet Detective’ where Jim walks through the crowd watching CC play ‘Hammer Smashed Face.’

Mind giving more information on the scene?

I’ve heard of them. I’ve heard some of their stuff too, my friend likes them, so he makes me listen to their songs occasionally. Unfortunately he makes me listen to so much I don’t know whats what anymore.

I’ve heard a couple songs, its pretty cool. I like death metal, but only in small, 15-20 minute doses.

I’ve been downloading lots of songs lately, and I just may give them and Cradle of Filth a try.

CoF is black metal, Cannibal Corpse is death.

Cannibal Corpse’s early stuff is OK- but I prefer Nile man. Nile and Death kick all other death metal bands asses, with a… uh… asskicking machine. Yeah.

And the guy from Nile sounds like a mummy (especially in “Whisper in the Ear of the Dead”)- so check it out.

What are the differences between these metal types?

I believe one involves more incoherent screaming than the other.

No and no.
But now I’ve heard about them, too bad I haven’t yet heard anything by them.

OK, first off, I’m going to say that I have no problem with metal in general (not that I’m a big fan of trying to conveniently taxonomize music into pre-labled genres… but I’ll play along for this post). My range of musical tolerance (and enjoyment) is remarkably broad. So don’t think what I’m about to say is because I dislike this genre of music.

Second, my personal listening experience of Cannibal Corpse is limited at best, but I’m quite familiar with them through their lyrics, which I have read extensively, and through talking with people who have listened, and do listen to them. So I’m not going to comment on how adequate (or not adequate) their actual music is (although from what I’ve heard, it’s not too impressive).

Anyway, Cannibal Corpse is absolutely laughable. They’re the epitome of a gimmick band (and it’s not even an entertaining gimmick like Spinal Tap, the Gorillaz, or Gwar). How anybody can take them seriously after reading their lyrics is far beyond my comprehension. This isn’t “serious music”, this is some idiots trying to sound as disgusting as possible, because they know that controversy causes some degree of popularity. I mean, how many songs can one band write about some necrophiliac raping a rotting dead baby filled with worms? Do they even have any songs that aren’t about rotting corpses, demon rape, bloody slaughter, or similar subject matter? As somebody who puts high value on the quality of the lyrics in this type of music, I have to say Cannibal Corpse probably has the most shallow and infantile lyrics I’ve ever heard of.

That’s my opinion on them anyway. You may now go back to your discussion of how the band is so awesome because they pretend to be badass rebels or whatever.

Man, Cannibal Corpse sucks, in my opinion.
I listened to a few of their songs… any good music that was there was ruined by the horrible singing. This coming from a person who likes slipknot x.X
Cradle of Filth… still haven’t heard anything by them.

This invalidates all and any musical opinions you had, have, or will have in the past, present, or future. <.<;;;;;;

Unless it’s their first album- in which case it’s pretty funny- and they have a song about Werewolf: the Apocalypse.

The difference is essentially the subject matter. Most death metal is about necrophilia, killing… gross out stuff really. It’s okay.

Black metal is more about “evil,” magic, sex, “evil,” sex, “evil,” and sex. Also- black metal has keyboards wheras most death metal bands wouldn’t be caught dead with them. Black metal bands also wear “corpse paint” (white face make-up) wheras death metal bands are like “eww… girly stuff!” =p

Oh- the Werewolf song by Slipknot:

“Slipknot” - Slipknot

"Pentex sucks! Pentex sucks!!
They drain the life force of my tribe
Pentex sucks!

Bonegnawers suck! Bonegnawers suck!!
They roll around in garbage bins
All Bonegnawers suck!!

(Pentex is bleeding but night is falling)

The Black Hand sucks! The Black Hand sucks!!
Those wyrm-tainted bastard leeches
Black Hand sucks!

If I had my way! If I had my way!
I’d rend them all ripped and torn
ALL THAT SUCKS DIES!!

(Sweet smell bleeding glow is melting me)

I bring my klave into battle
Shifting into Crinos - I slay wyrmfoe
Then I step sideways…

You can’t see me, for I hide within the Umbra"

<font size=7>;_;</font size>

How can people listen to that scary stuff? Well it sounds scary to me…>> I realize some of it stems from the “musical” factor…by lyrics wise even…and what Hiryuu described…

Oh man where to start.
Well, Cannibal Corpse is an alright band, they aren’t that great. I like Hammer Smashed Face and Devoured By Vermin. There’s waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better death metal bands, like Death, who are quite possibly one of the best bands ever, Cryptopsy, who are sometimes considered grindcore or whatever, Deicide, Dying Fetus, etc. There’s some good melodic death metal too, like In Flames. Yes, melodic death metal.

CoF is black metal, Cannibal Corpse is death.

I wouldn’t call CoF black metal. I’d call them …metal. Black metal is waaaaaaaaaaaay cooler.

What are the differences between these metal types?

I’ll copy and paste something someone told me a while ago:
"Death Metal: Very fast, intense, nihlistic (although ironically rhythmic at times) unmelodic music(excepting maybe At The Gates). Lots of muffled power chording and single string riffing (though not always) with evil growling trademark vox. Alot is rooted in thrash while some from the Northeast even has a slight NYHC influence to it. There’s also so called progressive Death Metal out there which isn’t quite as oxymoronic as progressive grindcore but still…

Black Metal: Intense Metal with vocals that range from death metal esque growling to high pitched shrieking and musicianship ranging from quite simplistic to a complexity that would rival Jazz Musicians. Alot of early so called Black Metal bands were basically just Death Metal IMO but overtime the music has actually become quite epic sounding. Have to talk to a devout fan of this genre for a definition to really be done justice."
So, death metal is more heavy, with growling vocals(often called cookie monster vocals), with death, gore, and nhilistic vocal themes. Black metal is fast, and also heavy, with vocal styles that range from high pitched screaming, to deep gutteral growls, and the vocal themes are usually satanic, evil, and even norse mythology.

Anyway, Cannibal Corpse is absolutely laughable. They’re the epitome of a gimmick band (and it’s not even an entertaining gimmick like Spinal Tap, the Gorillaz, or Gwar). How anybody can take them seriously after reading their lyrics is far beyond my comprehension. This isn’t “serious music”, this is some idiots trying to sound as disgusting as possible, because they know that controversy causes some degree of popularity. I mean, how many songs can one band write about some necrophiliac raping a rotting dead baby filled with worms? Do they even have any songs that aren’t about rotting corpses, demon rape, bloody slaughter, or similar subject matter? As somebody who puts high value on the quality of the lyrics in this type of music, I have to say Cannibal Corpse probably has the most shallow and infantile lyrics I’ve ever heard of.

I agree, Cannibal Corpse is laughable, but if those are the worst lyrics you have heard of, clearly you haven’t heard of …uhhh I forgot the band name, but they had songs like “coon killing” and “raping dead coon babies” and shit like that.

This coming from a person who likes slipknot x.X

Slipknot sucks.

Oh- the Werewolf song by Slipknot:
“Slipknot” - Slipknot

“wah wah wah life sucks”

Re-Slipknot sucks.

How can people listen to that scary stuff?

I dunno I find Blink 182 pretty scary myself. How can you listen to that scary stuff?
…you know, scary that a band making songs like those is actually making money.

lol Gila :stuck_out_tongue:
What about the lyrics to songs by the band Anal Cunt. OHOH
Or Mindless Self Indulgence, there are a few gems in that bunch of… I don’t know what to call it :stuck_out_tongue:

Heh, MSI is cool.

Mindless Self Indulgence! WHITE THE WALL WHITE THE WALL WHITE THE WALL PLASTER

What i like to do, is mute the TV, then play Cannibal Corpse. Every once in a while whats on TV kinda fits whatever Cannibal Corpse is playing, and the results are very funny.

Cannibal Corpse also has some pretty gross album art, AND there a great way to pick up chicks.

Anal Cunt is the best band ever. I like their song “Tom Arnold” and “I snuck a retard into the sperm bank”

Heard of Cannibal Corpse, listened to a few songs, not my thing.

For some reason I’ve always preferd Six Feet Under over Cannibal Corpse. I have no idea why, Chris Barnes did sound better when he was in CC.