Bureaucracy sucks all.

Proving that no-one has a damned clue about anything…

Apparently at my college there has been an incident involving a four-day trip to some hotel in Wales. The school has sent letters home to all students saying not to believe any rumours that there may be about this incident. The police are looking into this incident and we should not worry about the incident. We will be kept up to date with this incident.

THEN ARE YOU GOING TO TELL US WHAT THE DAMNED INCIDENT WAS ABOUT!!??

I mean, I know there’s confidentiality and stuff, but give us a damned clue guys. Why bother telling us there was an incident if they aren’t saying anything else? Surely a letter like that will only cause more panic as people automatically assume the worst? Stupid UK govt…:thud:

…or at least use a different word than “incident” every sentence.

THat was more or less how the letter looked as well. -__-’

Sounds like an airline pilot getting on the speaker-thing and saying “This is your captain speaking … there is no cause for alarm.”

Why involve police in it? There’s something to it that must be uncovered. Someone’s got an evil plot there…

Maybe a girl was raped and they’re investigating and they want to keep her ID a secret (as is the case with most rapes).

Originally posted by Sinistral
Maybe a girl was raped and they’re investigating and they want to keep her ID a secret (as is the case with most rapes).

That’s understandable, and I wouldn’t mind, but telling us nothing will just make things worse. They should at least say something. Even vague mumblings would have told us more…

Originally posted by Sinistral

I got that already. I never suggested they go around screaming names. There are ways of letting people know things without saying specifics.

theres no better way to deal with rape, in my opinion, than to shroud it in a veil of secrecy and pretend it never happened.

Its better to at least say what kind of incident it was because all kind of rumors could start surfacing even if they say what kind of incident rumors will appear but at least the range of these will diminish

let’s assume there was a rape. Now you can look at all the potential candidates , which are most likely females. Now in the crowd of females, you can look for which is more probably the one to have been raped by her past and present behavior and certain people can end up being harassed if they are that person or are the girl(s)’ potential rapist(s). In the end, it can create more problems.

let’s assume there was a rape. Now you can look at all the potential candidates , which are most likely females. Now in the crowd of females, no one knows that there is a rapist or two in the student body. a female is raped, the end.

the answer isnt to avoid the problem because people might harass the suspected victim. that problem has a seperate answer entirely.

then why does the scenario I named happen? People won’t stop just then at the thought that someone got raped, then they’ll be more interested in who it was and they’ll want to get the details. It is amazing the amount of gossip that can go around any environment. In the end, this is better for the person named because it can be more easily dismissed as speculation.

Also, almost all rapes are done by a guy the girl knows.

It is probably the Principal who has lost his wallet, but who thinks it has been stolen, and who doesn’t want to alarm the would-be thief. nod, nod

It’s a standard political procedure. Don’t be exact, be general.

I’m guessing the 4 day trip occured already?

And why would the college send home letters to the student body regarding a rape…?

if there has been a rape, the authorities should say so, and a criminal investigation should be done. if people want to speculate on who the victim or suspect is, thats their problem. when they make it someone elses too, there is another problem that needs to be dealt with. i never suggested that what i am suggesting is practiced.

And why would the college send home letters to the student body regarding a rape…?

… are you serious?

Uh, yes I am serious. I just skimmed over the thread so if i’m missing anything let me know. I don’t see why it is necessary to inform the whole place that someone was raped when it is (or should be) a private and confidential affair.

Originally posted by Silhouette
if there has been a rape, the authorities should say so, and a criminal investigation should be done. if people want to speculate on who the victim or suspect is, thats their problem. when they make it someone elses too, there is another problem that needs to be dealt with. i never suggested that what i am suggesting is practiced.

Neither should it be. That is a problem which is worse than the original problem and thus it is avoided.

so some asshole accusing someone of being raped, something that should not be at all funny to any rational person, is worse than someone sexually violating another human being?