Black Mages 3 Confirmed

It looks like Nobuo’s making a Black Mages 3, and I couldn’t be happier.

Original Article (in German)

English Translation.

The juicy bits are:

1. They are planning the third album
  2. It will be a double album
  3. One disc will be FF music, the other will be “trying to present Japanese myths musically”.

This is all very interesting. What songs do you want to see on the new album that they haven’t already done?

IT MUST BE MINE!!!

Awesome.
Hmm… truth is, there aren’t many themes they haven’t done yet. Probably the new games (FF11, FF12, DoC, FFCC, etc.) will have some numbers.

I DEMAND A BETTER RENDITION OF OTHERWORLD. :frowning:

But in all seriousness, I’ll buy this the day it comes out.

I hope.

I’ll D/L it, probably. Why break tradition? Especially when the CDs are like 40 bucks.

Yeah, the otherworld cover was awful. The point is to do heavier versions of existing FF songs. Otherworld was heavier than fuck. Yet it sounded like a thundercats song. I’d like to hear more Power metal like The Skies Above.

Thanks for posting the translation to the interview, it was an interesting read. I didn’t know that he was doing the theme for the new smash bros game!

And there are plenty “themes” from the FF games that he hasn’t touched… there’s a lot of interesting ones in Final Fantasy 9 such as Amarant’s theme, Quina’s theme, and the last boss battle. FFV had Exdeath’s theme and the last boss theme, I would love to see those with real instruments. FF7 has the motorcycle theme(did they do that already?). There are a lot of other themes I would want to hear, I just can’t think of any others off the top of my head.

I agree, I cant think of what else they could do, short of a version of One-Winged Angel, but I got my rock version of that on the AC soundrack. I dont think they will/can do FF11, FF12, DoC, FFCC because Nobuo didn’t do the music for those (as per my recollection). There’s plenty of good tracks out there, but none I can think of that could use the Black Mages treatment. What I don’t want is more of those original songs like Blue Blast Winning the Rainbow (a wrestling theme? o rly?) They dont have the nostalgia that the others give you when you listen.

True… it was a great track though. 8p
Gila: Huh? Quina’s theme in heavy metal? Are you nuts?

I keep meaning to do my own version where I impersonate the cast of Homestar Runner.

I could make Quina’s theme work. I mean, they took Jenova’s theme which is electronica based and made it pretty heavy. Quina’s theme would be slower and more pounding, not all metal is fast. But then again it’s doubtful he will even touch that one.

Jenova was a cool theme; none of the battle themes are heavy metal, but they have some sort of beat to it. Quina is a quirky theme. It makes no sense to put it into a heavy metal context.

I strongly disagree with that. None of the battle themes are heavy metal? Fuck, take a listen to the boss themes and then listen to some actual metal bands, there are some big similarities. A lot of video game music is hard rock influenced, especially from the late 80’s to early 90’s, that’s why it translates to being heavy metal music so easily.

I agree that it is a quirky theme but I still stand by my statement that it could be done.

*edit: Just to prove my point, I spent some of my time editing a midi of Quina’s theme in Guitar Pro, and have uploaded it:
Quina’s Theme “Metal” version.

Yeah, but they’ve already done the boss & battle themes, cept one-winged (done on AC). Maybe they could do FF9, but it’s pretty light, and I didn’t like the boss battle theme. I’d like to hear The Extreme (FF8 final boss music).

Ooh, ditto. And FF9’s badly-named “Last Battle.”

Trance Kuja’s battle theme is also pretty good, actually.

[QUOTE=theWallflower]I’d like to hear The Extreme (FF8 final boss music).[/QUOTE
Yeah, that one is great! It would be cool to hear them do an acoustic song.

It would also be good if they did “Dark Messenger” from FF9, it’s the one that’s in Chrono Trigger too… it goes dunnnn dunnnnnnn dunnnn DUHNNNN dunnn dunnnn dunnnnn with the beat in the background going dun-dun-doosh, dun dun doosh etc. oh yeah, and later in the song is gets even better, it goes duda-du-duda-du-duda-du-dudaduda and then goes up a step or so.

Singing over messageboards is not particularly useful.
And no tune in FF9 was also in Chrono Trigger.

Dark Messenger IS Trance Kuja’s theme. And while it certainly wasn’t in CT, it does remind me of “World Revolution” from that game. I’d love to hear a Black Mages remix of that.

Ok, I was wrong. The song I am thinking of is “Tyran Castle”, from Chrono Trigger. You have to admit there are atleast a few similarities, such as the interlude. Both are kick ass themes.

Yeah, that one is great! It would be cool to hear them do an acoustic song.

It would also be good if they did “Dark Messenger” from FF9, it’s the one that’s in Chrono Trigger too… it goes dunnnn dunnnnnnn dunnnn DUHNNNN dunnn dunnnn dunnnnn with the beat in the background going dun-dun-doosh, dun dun doosh etc. oh yeah, and later in the song is gets even better, it goes duda-du-duda-du-duda-du-dudaduda and then goes up a step or so.[/QUOTE]

And then Strong Mad comes in on his bass and he’s like, dou dow da dou da da DOU da dou da dou dou and The Cheat comes in on his keyboards and he’s like boop boop boop boop boop boop boop boop boop boop boop boop boop boo and then I’m like “And the dragon comes in the NIIIiiiiIIIiiiiIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIiiiIIGGHHt!”