Best RPG You Played

THe best RPG was probably either Legend of Mana, or Kingdom hearts 2. don;t ask me to choose, I don’t want to.

You forget that Hades’ opinion = fact. I personally enjoyed FFT. Hell, I enjoyed Legend of Dragoon for that matter.

I enjoyed Legend of Dragoon, from what i remember. I was young enough when it first came out and I first played it to not notice its glaring flaws and merely notice that it was pretty fun.

Final Fantasy 5 with the foul language patch.

Just kidding. I love RPG’s, but each one I’ve played lacks a special something, keeping me from having one as my favorite game. I like the game genre, which involves a lot of personal growth and development among the characters involved, which is much more intense than most other games.

Actually, if you think about the meaning of roleplaying, you get two extremes. You could either say that you play a role in just about any and every videogame, or that the games everybody is mentioning aren’t the one who fit the semantic best. FOr one thing, one game in which you really do roleplaying is Black & White, which I do consider a very special kind of RPG (I also happen to like it a lot). So I’d rather call games like the ones form the FF series, Suidoken, Shining Force etc. Character Development games.

Back to topic, one such game that I like a lot is Sid Meier’s Pirates! Gold. I even have a legit copy back from the year it was released.

Okay, okay, for the ones who are more mainstreamly called RPG’s, I like the ones where your characters have more down-to-earth needs and worries, like having to eat, sleep etc. That’s why I like some games which have horrible graphics, I think the system makes up for them. Castle of the Winds, Blades of Exile, Baldur’s Gate 2 and Aleshar: World of Ice fit into that.

Final Fantasy IV is a special case. It was the first RPG I played on SNES. It ha something magical which makes me feel nostalgical whenever I think about it. Has to do with the music and scenario design. I don’t like the plot enough for it to be in the very top of my list, though it is close.

For a new experience, I’m considering Bahamut Laggon. I have never played it, but I’ve been told it looks like Secret of Mana (which I also never played but I am about to fix that). Anyone has good or bad things to say about these two ones?

Bahamut Lagoon is hard to find translations of, but worth the work. Not my favourite of all time, but a damn fine game.
Secret of Mana is the one Seiken Densetsu game I could never, ever, force myself to like. It’s a lot of people’s favourite, though, so don’t take my word for it.

Bahamut Lagoon is a TRPG, absolutely nothing like Legend of Mana. It’s pretty original in a lot of ways and the graphics are excellent considering it’s a SNES game.

LoD/SD2 is fine, but if you are going to play it, might as well just go for Seiken Densetsu 3. It’s better in almost every sense, although the boss battles get pretty stupid later on mostly due to the enemies having way too much HP.

At least someone can be counted on to remember.

Give Bahamut Lagoon a try. If you find out how to develop your dragons (basically get each dragon strong to an element and kill foes with corresponding attacks. You get items of the same elements which you can give to the rest of your dragons) and mix decent parties (their magic is dependent on the stats of their dragons btw) it will be enjoyable up to the point where begin the plot twists. By then you’ll be close to the end and you’ll do it just out of curiosity. The last 2/3 stages are but a grind, though. Everyone (their dragons) is fully leveled and you have a horde of magic items. The enemies have a loooot (yawn) of hit points and you blast them to oblivion. All in all it’s a cool game.

Though it has a storyline faux pas Why did you forsake me?

I’ll note that down :D. Hehe speaking of Legend of Dragoon. A friend of mine is like, “I hate that game! My brothers love it, but I mean comon all you do is go around killing things!”.

How is that different from most roleplaying games? Or, indeed, most games?

Dragon Warrior is a great game, for instance, and all you do is run around killing things.

I’m not to sure. She isn’t really that big of a gamer if I remember any who. I just thought it was funny, and a good reminder of who to talk to in class.

Shinobi.

I had Shinobi, but I don’t remember why I stopped playing it. I think I got lost somewhere and gave up. All the cool flippy onto the buildings then off again type moves might have made it hard for me to figure out where to go. Kind of like fucking Prince of Persia, which is another one of those good idea shitty product games.

One game that not many people seemed to enjoy that I enjoy playing is The 7th Saga for the SNES. The battles are fast paced and have good strategy to them, and it’s very challenging to attempt playing through without a companion. Although I do understand why, I just thought this game was underrated/underappreciated, it is a really great game for me.

Oh, you don’t like falling into gaps and dying.

edit:ev0l post 666.