Best RPG You Played

Yeah. It’s a Staff joke.

ok well if thats not an rpg then I really cant pick a best more like a bunch of favorites. and what your saying about CT is total BS.

I agree with hades. Five Playable time zones but the same map…It was good but it was easy to play and basic…fun to play as a 1st RPG, but we all played it at different stages of gaming exp. I didnt play it til much later, it had past before I came around to it. That game that hooked you to RPG’s tends to be put on a pedistal. CT was that game to lots of ppl.

It’s certainly not BS - ask anybody here. While, as sad as it is for me to admit, Hades is making good points, I’m not just shooting smoke up your ass either. The character development in Chrono Trigger is pretty good, and the game is big and pretty long at about 35 hours. The plot is also intriguing, engaging, well rounded and has few, if any holes. Those are the points I made to begin with and I’m sticking to them.

If Chrono Trigger was Harry Potter it would have yielded far more revenue.

If CT is memorable or rich is rather subjective. Which RPG of the time is considered deep? CT had addictive gameplay, great music and presented its rather unoriginal plot in a way made up for it.

Of CT’s time? FFVI. Nothing came close to it. You had to play it when it was big though.

I always liked link to the past. Never played Chrono Trigger though.

FF6 annoys me. I was enjoying it right up until the world of ruin and then it just got dull and boring as hell. :frowning:

I honestly think the only thing that CT lacks (which unfortunately keeps it from being a ‘best’ to me) is that it lacks character development. All the characters’ personalities are static for the entire game. Sure, some of them have SOME development (Lucca, Magus, Marle), but none of those developments really changed their personality (You could make the argument that Lucca’s development caused a change in her personality, but you never got to see what she was like before, so the impact isn’t as powerful as it maybe could have been). This is the only thing that holds CT back in my opinion; everything else is perfect, and, if you think about the game in context of when it was released, it blew nearly everything else out of the water.

Anywho, some of my recent favorites:

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Shadow Hearts
Okage: Shadow King
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Growlanser 3

Some older greats:

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 7
SaGa Frontier
Breath of Fire 3

It remains good, don’t worry. I doubt whether it’s really “deep” or not. It had scenes you wouldn’t normally get at the time (e.g. the Terra arc, the war tactics of the empire etc.), granted. Still I don’t know if we are all too happy to see these elements in a game and forget that they are not that developed. I tend to compare it with books, then I make the separation of the story from the presentation and arrive at a standstill again. Then I go and play Super Mario World.

Maybe people wouldn’t think it was BS if you didn’t keep your opinion of Hades out of your posts.

I know this is off topic here, but this just made me think “America”.

As for the CT vs. FFVI debate I look at it this way- Which one made more money? It’s narrow, but it holds true to how many people really wanted to play it.

My favorite RPG would have to be FFT. I just love Tactics games, and I love to play Final Fantasy games. I don’t really remember much on development or anything, but I love tactics and managing characters classes and such.

I never could play chrono trigger long enough to finish. I got bored. Same with FFT. I love tactics games, but FFT was too slow moving and junky for me.

My favorites in sort of order:

Suikoden 3 - my favorite characters of all rpgs I’ve played. I love the suikoden series and this one by far did the best job of fleshing out a lot of characters. I liked the story, art style, and battle system too.

Shining Force 2 - I have replayed this game more than any other. The battle system was so smooth and easy and fun.

Baldur’s Gate II - Great Characters and battle system (although tough to play with all that thac0 crap). I thought the scenery was really beautiful.

Oblivion/Morrowind - They are roughly the same game. The moddability makes both games easily tailored to your style. I love freedom in rpgs.

FF7 - I really could have put FF-X or FF6 here too. All 3 I liked for obvious reasons, graphics/story.

Star Wars: KoTOR - I was never interested in Star Wars at all until I played this game. If the mini-games were any better and the replayability upped some it could have been an exceptional rpg. The second version was heading towards this, but Obsidian farked it up.

Here are the RPGs I’ve most enjoyed. 5 titles I consistently lost sleep for during my initial playthrough.

FFVI: far and away my favorite. Loved everything about it (except difficulty)

Xenogears: amazing tale, unfortunate gameplay

Balder’s Gate I (PC): when I wasn’t playing I wished I was. II was too much of the same for my taste, but generally considered “better”. Just thinking about it makes me want to replay.

Suikoden II: Great story: Nanami, Riou and Jowy. Loved the continuity from SI. And Nanami. If you liked II be sure to give V a shot.

FFXI: I racked up more gameplay here than any other title, but since it’s MMO that’s to be expected. Hoping to quit someday.

I have no figures but I think the GB Pokemons may have been the best RPG of all time (cause it was actually one game).

But he didn’t, and they still thought it was BS.

As for the CT vs. FFVI debate I look at it this way- Which one made more money? It’s narrow, but it holds true to how many people really wanted to play it.
We’re not talking about how many people wanted to play it before it came out. This is irrelevant.

Just FYI though, CT sold substantially less than FFVI. Up to 1000000 copies less, at a time when 2 million sales was record-breaking. The numbers I got from a quick Google varied but CT’s sales were <i>always</i> lower. (FF7 sold more than both of them on it’s first weekend though, haha)

My favorite RPG would have to be FFT. I just love Tactics games, and I love to play Final Fantasy games. I don’t really remember much on development or anything, but I love tactics and managing characters classes and such.
You don’t remember much because there wasn’t any. When you break it down to its simplest parts, FFT had no character development, no more than 20 minutes of bad storytelling (and this is a story that people worship -_-;;), and a non-world that couldn’t be explored. It was 100% menus. The game played itself. FFT is like a bridge without girders. It’s so wrong in it’s construction that it’s one of the few games I’d say is objectively just <b><i>bad</i></b>. I bought it as a greatest hits title, and I was seriously pissed off at the 4 trips to McDonald’s I lost.

Two Wizards with Short Charge and Summon: Leviathan win the entire game. As well as a few other combinations. My main problem with FFT’s system is that it’s too easy to find a single combination that’s basically an instant win for 95% of the battles.

Anyone on here who mentioned liking Oblivion or Morrowind, I’d look into Daggerfall. It’s their old DOS-cestor (being the Elder Scrolls II. Don’t even bother with Arena, TES I, it’s fun but kinda incredibly not worth the effort it takes to get anywhere), and is pretty similar with some quirks of its own. It has a very large game world with cities on schedules and whatnot, much like Oblivion. In fact, Oblivion’s improvements upon Morrowind are the steps it took to be more like Daggerfall, pretty much.
Daggerfall also has a more fun combat system, if you ask me (hold down right mouse buttong and drag, and your sword follows. It gives the game kind of a swashbuckling feel to the combat), and is more balanced between Magic and Weapon than any of the other games; Magic is much better than weapons, but it’s terribly hard to use.
It’s hard to get to work on newer machines and it’s got more bugs than Starship Troopers and Arachnaphobia put together, as well as any other famous insect films I neglect to mention here, but they’re usually trifling things (your horse stops making clip-lcop noises and/or never, ever stops sneezing). Some, like taking immunity to something and being killed by it (on a first loadgame, the game sometimes “forgets” your class advantages and disadvantages, so it usually solves the problem to just the load the game and then load it again before you start playing).
Anyway, that’s my piece of advice. It’s a fun game.

My favourites would be all the Elder Scrolls games and Legend of Mana. Others I like, but they cannot consistantly hold me for as long a period of time or interest me half as much.

What? I don’t think Hades was offended when I said that, if anything I would imagine he took it to heart. We go back. Besides, I couldn’t even tell who ‘NealMan’ was talking to.

Anyway, Chrono Trigger is still the best RPG I’ve ever played. Far surpassing FF6 because, as someone else mentioned, it just gets boring when you reach the world of ruin. But alas, I concede to a better, valid arguement.

CT’s a great game, no doubt about it. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

And yeah I wasn’t offended. Me and Sorc are homies or something. Or at least very opposite people who try to get along anyway.

Well I never said I had good taste. Well I don’t think I have bad taste either. I just can’t really judge things as good or bad because I can play just about any crap game. I think I bought it as a used greatest hits for 10 bucks.