am I the only person who hates cell phones?

If you need to use a phone, and you have no cellphone on you, you have to find a Waffle House. That happened to me a little while back. I didn’t have my cellphone, I had to get in touch with my parents, and there were no payphones anywhere. I had to find a Waffle House. They always have payphones.

Die, you worthless piece fucking filth. Do the world a favor and kill yourself.

ahem Sorry. The T-mobile guys, at least the ones at the mall here are fucking vultures. I walked by their booth once and they stopped me, I was bored so I decided to listen to their spiel, and told them I’d think about it. Then they asked “what’s there to think about?” they were telling me about this state law that says the early cancellation fee can be paid installments which is so incorrect. They said they’d work with US cellular and pay it off, then they kept throwing in more minutes, more texting for less and less and less, just so I could buy one of those fucking piece of shit phones from those piece of shit wastes of space.

I dunno if you do that too or not. If you do then… I hate you. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not opposed to Cell Phones on principle. But they just don’t work for me, literally and figuratively. People call me all the time at home, often just to ask favors; being AWAY from a phone is one of the few excuses I have to get some peace. I finally ended up accepting a Cell Phone after my seizures started and my sisters were afraid I’d collapse somewhere when I went out by myself. Reluctantly I accepted it, and guess what? Broke down before I ever got to use it. They gave a a second phone. SAME story. I guess they don’t like me either. :stuck_out_tongue:

I find some people to be obnoxiously conspicuous with their use of their cellphones, and have often been one to bitterly observe that if people are going to have loud-ass ringtones that everyone has to hear, they should have to pass a test on their musical taste before being allowed to have ringtones (it’d be like going to the DMV). I think the road is dangerous enough as is without making it more hazardous by having people on their phones while driving. And I think that cellphones have made it much easier and much more acceptable for people to be rude and impersonal to those around them by retreating into their cellphone conversation…

…BUT…

The technology itself is pretty darn cool and amazing. And, also, without it, people would have something else to facilitate their jackassitude, and conspicuous consumption would continue to take its other forms (like spinning rims and other ostentatious and useless car modifications, true signs of the evil dedacence of our modern culture).

I don’t have anything against cell phones, but I have a huge problem with its close cousin the text message. I mean, what’s the point, just call the damn person! Why would spend the ten minutes to type out a message on a little coded key pad, when you can either call and talk the person or leave a voice mail. My sister’s cell phone bill was five times the amount that mine was for the month because of this stupid “texting” bullshit.

10 minutes? I can peck one out in a matter of seconds.

Anyway, I love my phone. It’s attached at my hip. I also exclusively use my phone, and quite the opposite of cid, only close family and a specific few friends have my home phone number.

I really don’t get some of these. Maybe it’s just because I pretty much got handed a cellphone when 7th grade was over. Then again, pretty much everyone over here had one even then. Small country. Getting the hang of our own innovations was the thing.

It’s just too handy when you can reach the twelve persons you’re going out with with a single text message. Although I do prefer to inform people via other means too. (IRC and MSN work too.) I really should call people every once in a while. Aaaand a cellphone helped to keep up with a certain individual in a certain case during the summer. (moooooose…)

I’ve also refused to get a new one every year or two, just because my present one works just fine enough, thank you. Thanks to “New-fangled technology”, I had to give away my banana phone in exchange for something not so fun. >:(

Xero: WTF? Either she texts out a whole frigging lot or your Cell service providers have serious problems with their fee policy. I can send a textmessage for something near a cent or under it.

Actually, I worked in Activations and Consumer Credit, which means I get calls from those same dealers you talked to. And they were so annoying to talk to as an Activations rep, since half the time they have no idea what they’re doing, they waste your time on the phone, and drive up the call resolution time, which makes the rep look bad for not finishing the call quickly enough. I could vent more about it but I will refrain from it.

But yeah, my job was just activating phones and running credit on customers. Which is kinda fun, looking through all of someone’s credit history. But I digress. We don’t actually sell anything, and we certainly don’t do outbound calls (we’re not telemarketers). That’s what the vultures in the mall are for.

We agree on something! *Shock/Awe!

If you want to get in touch with me, you use mail or e-mail or instant messaging, maybe fax if you’re lost in the 80’s.

This is true, especially on buses and especially with girls who want to impress others with their make-believe social life. Having a fake conversation with the boyfriend you don’t really have applies here.

no I dont have one, people who pretend to be Dick Tracy are losers

Really? I find it rather convenient to have a GPS service ready if I’m driving to some location I don’t have any idea about. I really don’t get cellphone cameras, (don’t have one myself on mine.) but I guess it’s a nice way to catch some thing that otherwise might be lost to memory.

One day was pretty bland in school. Then one guy got about three text messages in about five minutes or so. Normally, this would’ve been dispelled as “Do you mind?” but the guy had the Duck Hunt “DUCK GET”-tune, thus saving my day. (The one where the dog shows you the catch…)

I’m disappointed. I expected a full blown 4 paragraph rant about the evil cell phones inflict. Still after 33 posts noone has done this yet sigh

[STRIKE]Evil luddites[/STRIKE] Dear friends, it’s not the size of the sword that counts. It’s how you wield it. I mean, you are the master of the phone. The phone obeys you, or gets thrown down the spikey pit.

I have one, but like Ciddy I don’t like the idea of being reachable 24/7. And like Sin, I hate phones.

I’ve only owned one cellphone, it’s from 2001 and still going pretty strong. Got it when I graduated, along with a “We know you don’t want it, but we feel you should have one”-note from my parents :stuck_out_tongue: They fully well knew too that there was no way I’d own one otherwise.

… heck, I didn’t even bother to learn my own number until two years ago.

Still, I have to admit that there are situations when it’s very handy, such as when Jing was going to come visit my college for the first time and couldn’t find the way.

And then there are situations such as when I for the first time get a call on it way back when - that being, since I hadn’t ever gotten a call on a cell phone before I hadn’t remembered to turn it off during class. And then I want to throw the whole idea of handyness out the window along with the screeching little demon spawn. Same with when it isn’t my phone calling in class and making me look like an inconsiderate fool who doesn’t care about the lecture.

No, my teachers REALLY don’t appreciate ringing cell phones. Erk.

Here’s a tale my dad once told.

He was walking in the woods, when he sees a guy coming the other way, talking on … a cell phone! He’s thinking, “Oh great, the guy could be out enjoying this beautiful weather but instead he’s talking on the phone.”

Then as they get nearer, he overhears the guy saying something like, “All right, is he still wearing his cast?” in a sort of stern-but-concerned voice. Oops, guess it was something important that would’ve been a big problem if he hadn’t had it, after all.

I hate these people. I keep mine on vibrate or the least intrusive ringtone that comes standard with my phone.
If I miss a text/call, no big deal. I can always get back to them. I don’t wanna get bitched out at work or anything.

I hate phones and never really wanted a cell phone. Once I had to get one for work I have found that cell phones are GREAT for people who don’t like phones.

Bad things about phones

1. One of my main reasons for disliking phones stems from high school and having these people CONSTANTLY call me every day to where I would literally shudder any time the phone rang. They would never get the hint that I did not like talking to them and my parents would never let me turn off the ringing.

2. The other reason I hate phones is that I think they are extremely rude. I don’t want to be interrupted unless it is REALLY important.

Good things about cell phones

1. A cell phone fixes both of those for me. I keep mine silent most of the time and just respond to voice mail. Plus since my only phone is a cell phone I don’t ever have to deal with a home phone that I can’t silent.

2. When I am expecting a call the caller ID will tell me whether I want to pick it up or not.

3. I use it as a clock that is nearly always correct . And it is handy since whenever I look at it to see the time it also tells me if I have a voicemail.

4. It IS available for emergencies which has made my life a lot easier in a couple situations. Cell phone + AAA makes car trouble very easy to deal with.

I do hate people talking on cell phones in quiet places or while driving and I do think it is rude to talk on a cell phone when you are with someone else.

Originally Posted by Zhare
am I the only person who thinks that thos damn things are th worst invention known to man?

No theres about a 1:20 ratio of cell phone haters.I am not a cell phone hater,but I rarely use it to call people.

I’m not a fan of talking to people on-line or on the phone if it’s not necessary. I like the personal aspect of seeing the other one you’re talking to. I’m not saying that I never use either of them (hay intraweb), it’s just that I think they depersonalize conversations; besides, I like the interactions I have in person. I never discuss personal or important stuff over the web and very rarely over the phone; I just think they’re too important to do it in such an impersonal manner.

With that said, I do like my cell phone. As said before, it’s a clock which is almost always right. Being able to talk to people back home while I’m at college for no additional cost is also nice. I’m only anti-phone if I could just walk to see the person instead.

I have a cell phone, but I only use it for emergencies, like when my car won’t start. I have no quarrel with cell phones or cell phone users, however, I do have a beef with obnoxious cell phone users. And I hate annoying ringtones too, but I think that’s a given.

The reason I hardly use my cell phone is, well, phones aren’t my preferred method of communication. I prefer face to face communication and typing up words on my computer. (Yes, the text you’re reading is a part of my favorite way of talking to others.)

So, I suppose I’m in the same boat as most of you when it comes to communicating to my fellow humans. But cell phones aren’t an abomination, even if they do drop calls, and that is my two cents on the subject.