After a great deal of thinking...

Good luck. :wave:

Originally posted by Gila-Monster
Welcome back… even though I’ve still talked to you for the last 2 weeks. :stuck_out_tongue: I personally wouldn’t want anything to do with the armed forces, but if that’s what you wanna do, then that’s what you’re gonna do. Try to have fun in it.

It’s not as hard as you think. In fact, I’m just chilling now. It’s better than college in that you do many classes, are rarely tested, are paid to sit through the class, the tests you get are easy, and then you do some work here and there, and you get paid to exercise.

Hey CC, congrats. So what field are you going into? As you probaly know the Marine Corps is part of the Navy so it’d almpst like you were a brother. So what made you choose the Navy over the other 3 branches, just out of curiosity? I almost joined the Navy (if I was still a computer science major I probably would have). Heh, and I almost skipped over this thread because I thought it was about something stupid (as I feel many of the threads are becoming…).

Originally posted by Infonick
It’s not as hard as you think. In fact, I’m just chilling now. It’s better than college in that you do many classes, are rarely tested, are paid to sit through the class, the tests you get are easy, and then you do some work here and there, and you get paid to exercise.

I don’t think it’s hard at all… Infact, it’s probably so easy making a living being in the army, even an idiot could do it. But, the thing is, I don’t want to be my countries bitch. That’s just how I view it… I dunno, I’m not much for wars, or fighting in general. Although, I do live in Canada, so most likely I WOULD be getting paid for doing nothing if I was in it, but still… nah, not for me.

Yeah, Infonick, most of the threads are becoming a MORE than a little stupid.

And I’m really not sure what I’m going in for quite yet. I have yet to take the ASVAB, but from what I scored the previous time and what I scored on a practice test I have a feeling I won’t be chipping paint for a living. :stuck_out_tongue:

And I’m not sure if I want to be on a ship or on a submarine. On a sub you get more pay, but you could end up being underwater for months at a time, and I’m not sure how I’d deal with that. When you’re on a ship, at the very least you can SEE that there is more out there… not sure how to explain what I mean.

What kind of excersizes would you reccommend to prepare for boot camp?

Ever heard of a Dishonorable Discharge ? They CAN fire you, but you’ll be worse than a vagrant when you get back into the world. Thats Dishonorable Discharge will follow you everywhere and make it hard for you to get a job even at McDonalds…

But CC, i think it’s great that someone els on here is enlisting. I am going Army at about the time as you, maybe. Don’t worry too much about basic training, the NAVY has the easiest. Unless you are going Marine Corp, then you’ll have the hardest basic:-) You’r dad should have some goot tips on how to prepare for it, but push ups and sit ups and running should be your main focus… i guess. I honestly dont know a lot about the Navy except jokes(derogatory) and that i dont like boats.

I might add some more to this later when if i think of it… see ya 'round.

You need to do what you feel is best for you, plain and simple, soo… I’m glad you made a conscious decision about what that best thing really is. And I trust your judgement. I was pretty surprised at first, but I’m happy for you. Whatever happens, try to have some fun! ;D

Originally posted by Born_Loser
Don’t worry too much about basic training, the NAVY has the easiest. Unless you are going Marine Corp, then you’ll have the hardest basic:-)

Are you sure about that? The Air Force only requires six weeks of boot camp wheras the Coast Guard, Navy, and Army require eight weeks. And yes, the Marines require twelve weeks of basic training. o_o

Good luck my friend. And welcome back:cool: .

Man, I’d never heard of anyone joining the military because they know they’re an anoying jackass. But do what you want. :wink:

Man, I’d never heard of anyone joining the military because they know they’re an anoying jackass. But do what you want. :wink:
CC, you’re my idol. I know this guy who was a marine he was in the gulf war, and he can shoot an elk through the neck from a pickup truck, at like half a mile.o_o

Ever heard of a Dishonorable Discharge ? They CAN fire you, but you’ll be worse than a vagrant when you get back into the world. Thats Dishonorable Discharge will follow you everywhere and make it hard for you to get a job even at McDonalds…

I think you really have to try to get a Dishonorable Discharge. One of my great-grandfathers went AWOL for like 6 months, had a small bounty on him if he was brought in, and when he did eventually complete his enlistment, he got a Good Conduct Medal. Of course, they may have gotten more strict since then.

That will definitely succeed in giving you “discipline,” but if it’s “independence” you’re after, the military might not be the best place for that. Also, you should try to get some deal under which you can complete all the education you want with financial assistance from the military, because if you ever decide to leave the military, you’ll need that outside education to get a good job in the outside world.

does the welcome back dance I know nothing about the navy and less about the American navy, but enjoy your life! :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Sephiroth Katana
Also, you should try to get some deal under which you can complete all the education you want with financial assistance from the military, because if you ever decide to leave the military, you’ll need that outside education to get a good job in the outside world.

I plan on it. Also, its going to be difficult for the recruiter to screw me over, since my dad was in the Navy, and is quite a bright fellow. And no, I don’t plan on staying in the military for very long- four to six years. If I stay longer… eh. I do.

[b]Ever heard of a Dishonorable Discharge ? They CAN fire you, but you’ll be worse than a vagrant when you get back into the world. Thats Dishonorable Discharge will follow you everywhere and make it hard for you to get a job even at McDonalds…

But CC, i think it’s great that someone els on here is enlisting. I am going Army at about the time as you, maybe. Don’t worry too much about basic training, the NAVY has the easiest. Unless you are going Marine Corp, then you’ll have the hardest basic:-) You’r dad should have some goot tips on how to prepare for it, but push ups and sit ups and running should be your main focus… i guess. I honestly dont know a lot about the Navy except jokes(derogatory) and that i dont like boats.

I might add some more to this later when if i think of it… see ya 'round. [/b]

A dishonorable discharge comes from you seriously fucking up. I mean fucking up BIG. You have to break a law. Also, dishonorable discharges usually come at the end of your contract. You almost have to try for a dishonorable discharge, that is why it is not considered. Besides, anything you do to get a dishonorable discharge will land you in the brig, which you’d most likely be in until the end of your contract.

Actually, the Air Force has the easiest and the Navy’s is only one week short than the Army’s.

CC, just run. Running will be the hardest thing to do and it’ll help you in many other areas. Go for a ship. There a lots of suicides on subs since they suck. On a ship you’ll stop at ports much more often, which is cool. Also, ships arent as cramped and have more to do on them than a sub. Avoid going on a sub at all costs.

Originally posted by Cybercompost
Are you sure about that? The Air Force only requires six weeks of boot camp wheras the Coast Guard, Navy, and Army require eight weeks. And yes, the Marines require twelve weeks of basic training. o_o

Actually, it’s 13 weeks. 12 weeks that count towards graduation, but the first one gets your eady for it all and gets you used to the military lifestyle as much as it can before your actual DIs force it on you. I thought that the yelling and running they made us do that week was bad, then I me tmy DIs and it made that week seem easy. The Army’s is 9 (starting 0-8). Yeah, the Air Force has the easiest.

Originally posted by yoshmeister
CC, you’re my idol. I know this guy who was a marine he was in the gulf war, and he can shoot an elk through the neck from a pickup truck, at like half a mile.o_o

It’s because Marine’s have the highest rifle standards, every Marine can do that. We qualfiy at 500m. We’re the only branch that does that.

You’d be surprised by how many people join the military to gain discipline.

I think you really have to try to get a Dishonorable Discharge. One of my great-grandfathers went AWOL for like 6 months, had a small bounty on him if he was brought in, and when he did eventually complete his enlistment, he got a Good Conduct Medal. Of course, they may have gotten more strict since then.

No, that’d probably still happen now. Besides, the time that you are UA doesn’t matter much after 30 days. 30+ days is deserter and then it doesn’t matter how long.

That will definitely succeed in giving you “discipline,” but if it’s “independence” you’re after, the military might not be the best place for that. Also, you should try to get some deal under which you can complete all the education you want with financial assistance from the military, because if you ever decide to leave the military, you’ll need that outside education to get a good job in the outside world.

You get more independence than you think. Like my platoon ifs evry supportive of my going to school part time. They’ll ask me how my classes are and if I need ot get to class I can leave early to do so. I can do homework during work hours if nothing is pressing. It’s pretty much like a normal job. The only real difference that time is a big thing. A long day is usually 0730-1700 and that is a long day on a normal schedule. The only way those hours increase is if you are going overseas for war or something like that, but the increase isn’t too much even then. The biggest thing would be that you have to work on weekends and nights at times (at night is usally only 2-3 people) and weekends only if somethign is pressing or soemthing comes up that only happens on the weekend, but they usually try to make it up to you (like giving you a Friday off). As for education, the military automatically covers it. If you are reseve you can get extra money each month to pay for college (if you are attending) for 36 months. If you are active you get like $35000 when oyu get out. If you becoem a veteran you’re kids college tuition is covered (all I have to pay for are books now for my kids). The military supports education. There are classes that count towards promotion and college credit. The Marien Corps has things called “MCIs” (Marine Corps Institute) whicj are siilar to online classes, but in a book instead and I’m sure the Navy does too since they are the same branch. Also, there are classes you can take on base. You can tkae night classes, and your military training counts too. A lot of it will help a lot, such as certain jobs are for computers (like networkers and programmers). The military has taken those sort of things into acount.

Originally posted by yoshmeister
Ground forces for me, I’d rather die on land :stuck_out_tongue:
heh, I’d rather not die at all

Originally posted by Xachariah
heh, I’d rather not die at all

I’d rather the enemy die. I don’t plan on dying for my country. I plan on making him die for his.

Can’t beat that logic :stuck_out_tongue: