A.f.i.

Anyone heard their new CD, Sing the Sorrow?
My cousin came up from Florida, he’s about 11 and listens to them. He gave me the CD, and I just can’t seem to stop listening to it. Anyone else listen to them?
The lead singer’s voice is pretty unique and goes well with the rest of the band, I think.

I have there new CD too, I don’t like it as much as old AFI but yeah, they are a good band.

I’d say some of the lyrics are pretty damned deep…

<center><b>…But Home is Nowhere</b>
Twenty-six years and seems like I’ve just begun
To understand my, my intimate is no one
When the director sold the show, who bought its last rites?
They cut the cast, the music, and the lights

This is my line, this is eternal
How did I ever end up here?
Discarnate, preternatural
My prayers to disappear
Absent of grace, marked as infernal
Ungranted in dead time left me disowned
To this nature, so unnatural
I remain alone

Twenty-six years end, still speaking in these tongues
Such revelations while understood by no one
When the new actor stole the show, who questioned his grace?
Please clear the house of ill-aquired taste

My prayers to disappear
I remain alone

Give me something, give me something
Give me something, give me something
Give me something, give me something real

I lay strewn across the floor, can’t solve this puzzle
Everyday another small piece can’t be found
I lay strewn across the floor, pieced up in sorrow
The pieces are lost, these pieces don’t fit
Pieced together incomplete and empty

My prayers to disappear
I remain alone

How did I end up here?
My prayers to disappear
I remain alone</center>

The new AFI CD isn’t up to my standards. I preferred their older stuff. Heh. Yeah, it seems like I say this about every band- but the truth is- if you like Sing the Sorrow, you should check out The Art of Drowning, which I believe is a far superior album.

I’m not saying Sing the Sorrow is a bad album- some of the songs on it are great (The Leaving Song Pt. 2 being my favorite)- but some of the songs were just too… well… silly- for me. They experimented with this album, and I really don’t like how it came out.

shrugs

I liked the CD… something better than this CD? o_o;

Yeah. AFI has had a lot of albums. Excepting their first one (where they sounded like Offspring, if you like that kinda thing), they have always had a really unique sound.

Yeah, I’ve known they have a lot of albums, but damn. This CD is pretty farkin good. They successfully experimented.

Yer cousin is 11 and he’s listening to punk?

Anyway, I’ve heard they’re better than other bands out there. I can’t really say, as I haven’t listened to their songs.

Actually, their first TWO albums sounded like The Offspring. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways, Sing The Sorrow is probly AFI’s best album, because it’s their most diverse (It sounds like a mixture of their best ideas from their previous 3 albums in 1 CD), and most musically sound. Simply put, fucking amazing.

Originally posted by Bakufan19
Yer cousin is 11 and he’s listening to punk?

Yes.
He’s also a skater already. He can kickflip better than my friend my age. He’s learning to surf, and he is pretty good at inline skating.

Ugh. I’m tired of seeing punk-skaters pop up everywhere. Over one summer, the kids at my old school all turned into skaters. I asked one of them why they chose to skate, and he answered ‘because it’s cool’. I’m saddened by this.

It could be worse. If he kickflips better than any of your friends, then he doesn’t fall into the ‘skateboarder who can’t do an ollie yet claims he’s sick’.

I think what’s really funny is that people like to label themselves at all…genres of music, styles ofclothing, types of PEOPLE…what EVER.

Im not much into that punk rock type shit. So negative.

Eh, not all of it is negative. AFI is poetic, and most punk is expository. Ever heard Bad Religion, or NOFX? :smiley:

Yeah, there’s ‘actual punk’ like Bad Religion and stuff, but then there’s ‘manufactured punk’ like Good Charlotte and Linkin Park. I should make a handy-dandy guide to punk.

(Actual punk) Or Dead Kennedys or Black Flag or The Misfits or The Damned or Articles of Faith or Anti-Flag or goes on forever, the long-winded bastard

And since when did any moron say that Linkin Park was punk?

I didn’t mean that Punk was negative, I meant that was a negative on me listening too it.

I’ve never been much on Bad Religion or Ozzy Osbourne. Yes, I’ve heard NOFX, but I didn’t really like it, and I’ve heard a few songs by most of the bands CC listed, didn’t really like them either.

Ozzy Osbourne is not punk.

Eh you guys, the ‘genre’ of punk reflects a state of mind, not a musical style. Just listen to Bad Religion, then listen to Suicidal Tendencies, then listen to AFI, then listen to The Dwarves. They’re all ‘punk’ but none of them sound particularly similar. Actual…manufactured…It’s shit like this that made me decide that being a punk is so dumb. :stuck_out_tongue:

Dude, by that definition, Punk is categorized by rebellion, which makes about as much sense as emo in that all music has emotion in it, since rock is almost synnamous with rebellion, especially metal, which is what I would categorize Suicidal Tendencies as.

Edited for stupidity.