2D or 3D RPGs?

Me personally? I love old school 2D. Final Fantasy 1-6 style, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Earthbound. There’s new rpgs I like too, but even they’re 2D spritish… like Children of Mana and Rondo of Swords, both for the NDS.

So how bout it? 2D or 3D?

Both are good when done well. I don’t favor one over the other.

I agree with Cid, its all about the quality of the story and gameplay. I’m not gonna say graphics don’t matter, because graphics used well can significantly improve the milieu of the game and playing experience, but a game with good graphics but a bad story and bad gameplay is still gonna suck.

Heh, this reminds me of back in the late 90s when there was a movement of RPG gamers vehemently against 3D graphics in RPGs.

Depends on the nature of the game, story, and gameplay. Any game can look good, but it isn’t worth shit if it has nothing else to add to it.

Personally, I have a bias towards 2D games, as they can be rather well done and polished with today’s standards. I still enjoy 3D games when done right. Sometimes, even a mix of 2D/3D can do wonders.

I agree with the previously stated opinions.
The way a RPG is made is not as important as it being made well.

Also, I remember playing a game that claimed to be 4D, right in the title. So I’m gonna go for that. :stuck_out_tongue:

I loved the hand painted backgrounds in like FFIX and its 2d world.

The new 3d is really cool but the Art of the old games is gone I think. Computer generated worlds are also graphics masterpieces but those old games had a charm to them and left to still imagine some of the world you where in.

Don’t get confused between “2D games” and “old-quality” games. Odin Sphere and most Nippon Ichi games (Disgaea et al) are 2D but you’d never confuse them with Final Fantasy VI.

So your saying that final fantasy IX is not to 2d …

Um, no, it certainly isn’t.

have no clue what you talking about if there not 2d since the guy who started the thread even says so …

But the newer games he’s referring to are Children of Mana and Rondo of Swords for the NDS.

Cicero also complained about the downfall of art and society :wink: Anyway, 2D games have had more time to mature and though it seems development costs have gone through the roof, we’ll see even better 3D games when the focus shifts again from the graphics or by people using others’ engines or 2D graphics as a lower-cost alternative. Not that we don’t already have great 3D games.

Someday we’ll have decent A.I. and then we’ll get a spiritual sequel of Fallout that will rock our worlds. Hopefully.

Originally Posted by pokefreak_85
Also, I remember playing a game that claimed to be 4D, right in the title. So I’m gonna go for that. :stuck_out_tongue:

I also remember playing a game that claimed to be in 4D. It was called Star Ocean 3.

Bah, that is nothing compared to the game that proudly throws 4D at you, right in the title.
“4D Boxing”. XD

For those of you who don’t know it, and I guess that would probably be everybody.
It’s an old 3D boxing game that came out when 3D was new and innovative. I guess they thought it would be cool to raise the number one step higher (kind of “11. One louder”), even though it didn’t really make sense if you know what 3D actually means.

If you consider time the 4rth D, games with time-dependent scripted events are 4D. Or usually just annoying.

For the most part, I favour 2D, but I think that’s simply luck-of-the-draw and timing, more than anything else. The only 3D RPGs I can think of really enjoying have been follow-ups to games I enjoyed in 2D. Then again, I have the muttonchops of a grumpy old man.

Doesn’t really matter as long as the game is good. But I fancy 2D if I had to choose. It’s easier on my eyes too.

I prefer the graphic look of 2D, but that doesn’t quite determine if the game is going to be fun or not.

i like both
2D- means you focus more on the story and game
3D- is (usually) more realistic and gives the game a sense of depth.

3D is already 4D, there’s quite the depth of time in waiting for it to load if it’s on a CD. I miss the days of popping in a game and within 1 second I was already playing the game; when saving the game took all but 1 second. Seriously, though, there’s decent 3D RPGs, and the combination of the two can come out quite nice for 2.5D, like Castlevania Symphony of the Night. But I’ve played far too many masterpiece-RPGs in 2D in my life that 3D RPGs have likely no chance in hell of surpassing 2D for me. Things come better in twos anyway.

Cough And yes, I just noticed this topic is 4 months old, but it was like the twelfth topic down. This forum seems dead…