10 Years of Doom

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/december03/doom/

With daily updates until friday =)

That’s cool. I personally think that Doom is one of the most influential games in history, in more ways than one.

Ahh Doom. Never played it. When it came out I was scared to death of FPS’s but that’s because I was like 6-8. The first FPS that was shown to me was Wolfenstien. Yeah it scared me to death as a kid, but hey, I can look back on it and laugh now. Especially since I’ve gotten over my fear of FPS’s and play Bond games and Metroid Prime when I can.

I remember playing Doom in school (I was 13-14 when it came out) and loving it heh. It is defiently a classic game =)

DOOM is from a time when we didn’t need epic stories or bad-ass gamplay mechanics to enjoy a game. All we needed was a shotgun, a few shells, and a couple hundred enemies, and we were all set. Needless to say, I still love DOOM.

Big Fucking Gun :thud:

Big Fucking Gun 3000 :wink:

Originally posted by d Galloway
DOOM is from a time when we didn’t need epic stories or bad-ass gamplay mechanics to enjoy a game. All we needed was a shotgun, a few shells, and a couple hundred enemies, and we were all set. Needless to say, I still love DOOM.

That about sums it all up. Story, snorey. Games like Doom and Duke Nukem 3D were just FUN.

DIE DEMONS, DIE!!!

Doom 3 is gonna own all. It does have a story, but it is like the story to HL (Read as: Well done and doesnt interfere with game)

Doom is indeed a classic: Gamespy, as lame as it can get, is wise to recognize it as one of the most influential games of all time.

MAkes me miss the Shareware system, really.

I remember getting that game back in 1995. Now that was a blast to play. I think i want it back for some nostalgia. I doubt there is an XP version though…

I used to play that all the time when I went to visit my uncle in Florida…

i remember my brother got a set of Shareware games by Aztech it had doom 95 on it and got me started on FPS games like wolfentsein 3D(also on the disc) and even jhon romero’s commander keen games on it!damn it was awesome. i wished they would run on the computer i have now

It’s that old already?

Watching/playing FPS for more than 5 minutes makes me dizzy for hours on end and nausea feeling…dunno why…so I can’t share into the meaning of the thread

I never saw what the big deal was with DOOM. Technologically speaking, DOOM -> Descent was a much bigger technological step than Wolfenstein3D -> DOOM, and Descent came out not long after DOOM. And DOOM wasn’t really even that good of a game, if you put it up next to something like Duke Nukem 3D. I’m supposing that Descent never really caught on because the gameplay was more complicated than DOOM, but still, I could never understand DOOM being any kind of a hit.

While I’ve never been a big fan of Doom, I still want Doom 3.

Originally posted by Amerycinsycho
I remember getting that game back in 1995. Now that was a blast to play. I think i want it back for some nostalgia. I doubt there is an XP version though…

There are versions out there. When ID released the full source code a little while back (Was a great holiday gift heh), people made versions for all OSes =)

Doom will always have a special place in my heart and my hard drive.

I still play it semi-regularly, whenever I’m particularly stressed. I think I have most of Episode 1 of Doom1 and the first group of levels from Doom2 practically memorized :stuck_out_tongue: