Yes, I'm alive & well....

What’s with the racism jokes, guys? Not cool. :noway:

Anyway, anybody remembers The Wonderful World of Disney TV show? They showed a lot of different stuff including nature documentaries; what they would do is film an animal in its natural environment and then edit it and add a narrator and music so that it looked like a scripted adventure show. There were a few about bugs, and I recall one where there was a fight between a centipede and a scorpion. I cheered for the scorpion. :slight_smile:

Right.

Time to get this thread back on track.

Here’s my wishlist of various arachnids… with pictures ! Also, I apologise in advance for the size of most of these images and feel terrible if any of you are still on Dial-up (God I hope not!)

Tarantulas

Mexican Red-Knee (Brachypelma smithi)

Usambara Orange Baboon (Pterinochilus murinus)

Cobalt Blue (Haplopelma lividum)

Goliath Bird Eater (Theraphosa blondi)

More on next post.

Scorpions

Yellow Fat Tail (Androctonus australis)

Desert Hairy (Hadrurus arizonensis)

Deathstalker (Leiurus quinquestriatus)

Black Spitting Thick Tail (Parabuthus transvaalicus)

The leftovers on the next post.

Whip-Scorpion/Vinegaroon

Giant Vinegaroon (Mastigoproctus giganteus)

Tailess Whip-Scorpion/Amblypygid

Tanzanian Giant (Damon diadema)

Camel Spider/Solifugid

Egyptian Giant (Galeodes granti)

So that’s pretty much it for the time being.

Yeah okay pal. First of all, you believe in evolution so you’re obviously not trying to look intelligent. You think we, human beings, evolved from monkeys? That’s so retarded. And you also believe those monkeys evolved from germs in the first place? I don’t get how you can honestly believe that. It’s sooo much easier to accept the truth, that GOD made us all the way we are. And made all the animals the way they are, for a reason. So just shut it, okay? Jee whiz.

Charlemagne Owens the idea of natural selection. What a dick, amirite?

Wow, you were right DG, those are some REALLY colorful Tarantulas! Strangely though, the Yellow Tail scorpion looks green, but I guess that’s the picture. And Deathstalker has to be the coolest name for a bug, ever. :slight_smile:

Too bad the scorpion isn’t as cool as the name.

Hey DG, nice to read you again.

I must admit that I am not a big fan of arachnids, but looking at some of specimens shown above (dangerously gorgeous), I might be tempted in acquiring one.

Did anything significant happened on the Gaming Industry front since you completed your EG Design course?

if you dont want a cat and you have a mice problem then get a ratter dog like the larger terriers. I have a patterdale and he cleared the basement in an hour…
(seeing as you said today i accept that i could be too late but if you hadnt…)

on the subject of spiders/scorpions - i know this sounds odd but try collecting their venom if possible. Some people pay decent money for it (usually researchers and toxicologists but some weirdo collectors too…)

By “weirdo collectors,” he means “people who trip scorpion venom.”

Can you do that? jk

according to my chem lecturer/tutor (an example of who i was on about) - some types if mixed with other stuff so i doesn’t kill can result in a sort of high (the immune system basically gets confused or something) and others can give you trips via paralysis of brain/eyes/etc, although he assures me he collects it for his research (toxicology)

but mostly people buy it for study and/or actually collect vials of them like someone would collect coins or models (or any other collectable you like to name…)

Wil : Despite the coolness of its name… it’s an oddity. While it does pack the most powerful venom of any scorpion(it’s on par with that of a king cobra), it just does not occur very often in areas where people live therefore very little if no accidental deaths are reported or attributed to it. More often than not, it will deliver what is called a “dry sting” in which no venom is injected. It’s the distant cousin, the Yellow Fat Tail, which is responsible for nearly all fatal envenomations recorded since it often thrives in human habitations and unlike the deathstalker WILL inject LOTS of venom with a single sting.

Seifer : I’ve given up on the game design route… it’s just too much stress than I could handle without losing it eventually. But I still buy games that cater to my styles.

balthierfan : I don’t think I’ll be risking my life to “milk” any species of scorpion, especially the lethal ones. I’ll leave that to professionals, thank you very much.

DG: Oh, I know about how exaggerated deaths from arachnid venom are. I meant that I didn’t know the word “Deathstalker” was an actual animal’s name. I had only read it as the name of a Marvel Comics villain (an enemy of Daredevil) who btw did NOT have a scorpion motif. That’s what happens when you learn English from comic books. :hahaha;

On other pet news, yes they did give me the cat… and she seems to like the place, so I guess she’s staying. She’s mostly OK, but sometimes she wants me to pet her (over and over again!) and won’t leave me alone even if I’m busy. Sigh. I’m trying to break her off the habit with the old water spray bottle trick.

And yet you refuse to read Belkar’s dialogue. At least HE cares about his cat.

That’s pretty harsh, man. Show your cat some love once in a while. Wanting attention shouldn’t be looked at as a “habit”.

Harsh? Spraying a little water on her face to get her off my case? We’re talking jumping-on-my-keyboard-while-I’m-typing kind of behavior here, folks. And it was a from a cat lover that I got the water tip; better than slapping her off, no?

She seems to have gotten the message btw, now all I have to do is show her the bottle and she goes sit on the sofa or something. And she still curls by my side when I lay on the sofa, so she isn’t bitter. :wink:

And Belkar doesn’t love Mr. Scruffles; to him it’s just another possession, and part of his “disguise” as a nice guy. I bet If it dares like anybody else better, he’ll drop it off a cliff or something.