Yes, I'm alive & well....

Shrink one of those spider pictures down and use that as an avatar. Or not. Also hello.

You should post more pictures of tarantulas. They’re pretty. Scorpions too.

Welcome back DG.

GSG, you can stop demonstrating the depths of your stupidity now. You have nothing left to prove.

Huh, those are some surprisingly colorful bugs, I thought all tarantulas were just dark-colored.

Btw, while I may not care for arachnids as pets, I don’t fear them either. Still, arachnophobia is a pretty common fear, so you gotta understand the others’ reactions. (Personally, it’s centipedes that give me the creeps.)

Speaking of pets, I may very well end up getting a cat… again. As in, today. Yeesh, why do people keep giving me cats!? I’m a dog-kinda guy, not a cat lover! Only reason I’m taking her is that I have a mice problem and I hope she’ll scare them away with her presence. I’ll treat her nicely, but she’d better not make a mess around the house like the others did. -_-

How does one and how often does one clean the tanks for arachnids?

Depends which one you have. DG showed me a video where a guy used a tupperware with 2 holes for large tweezers to sequester his (dangerous) scorpion and used another long tweezer to pick out remains. It was pretty aggressive, the moment he removed the tupperware, it practically attacked him by lunging at the side of the aquarium. Its a good thing he kept his hands at a distance at all times using tweezers. This is probably more difficult with larger species.

Feeding frequency depends on the frequency the arachnid in question eats. Some eat more often than others, so how often you have to clean probably varies along a similar schedule.

I just thought he would like to see Red Scorpion and multi colored mice.

Keep digging. I’m not convinced.

Ok…

Thanks for all the comments, even from those of you that are disgusted by the pictures.

Wil : Let’s say I prefer animals that are undemanding and really don’t become a nuisance. The more quiet, the better.

Walhalla : I’ll try to get some pictures as soon as I can get my hands on a good camera.

Cro : Glad to be back !

Arac : A scorp that ate vegan protein ? O.o Is that thing still alive even now ?

Vicki : Aw ;_; But P. metallica is so striking ! How can you not love a blue hairball with legs ?

Cid : Ditto.

Charl : I’m still figuring out what to pick as an avatar. Give me some time, man.

Killmore : I’m thinking the P. metallica.

Nulani : There will be more if I can get a really good camera.

Generic : For the tarantula, I usually do spot cleaning a day or so after feeding. I just slide the cover enough so I can slip in the tongs… I’m not giving the spider any opportunity to get out… even tho she never attempted to escape since I’ve had her. knocks on wood For the scorpion… I didn’t get the chance to do any cleaning because I cannot find any remains.

Sinistral : The scorp I’ve linked you, Androctonus australis (Yellow Fat Tail) is on my wishlist. If I do what that guy did when it comes to cleaning, I doubt anything would go wrong.

If any of you have more questions, feel free to ask. I’ll answer to the best of my knowledge.

Congratulations you keep animals alive in a small cage for their entire lives when their nature demands wide-open spaces in which to make their webs, capture pray and breed to their heart’s content. You’re basically like the Hitler of the spider world, and your cages are the concentration camps.

Edit: This is where the Gooty Sapphire Ornamental’s natural habitat is. But I’m sure it would be just as happy being purchased for 500 dollars and living in a box in Canada.

Really, people like you should be prosecuted and have the key thrown away

I love you zeppelin.

I actually agree with this to an extent, regardless of whether it was a joke or not. I think it’s a lot better to leave exotic pets to do their own thing in the wild and stick with what we’ve already domesticated.

That said as long as the owner is responsible and the organism isn’t being used for malicious intent then it’s alright. I’m just more concerned about how they collect the species from their natural habitat, since I’m assuming exotic pet collection can have negative ecological effects. I know it does with fish and reptiles.

I’m currently taking a class on invertebrates so it’s pretty neat to see the videos and pictures. I hope you do post more pictures in the future. The people that don’t like looking at spiders can simply avoid the thread. Also good to hear you’re still rocking the music.

You should see what they do with horses and dogs and cats and cows and other farm animals and rabbits and mice and you get the idea.

Yeah, it’s lived about a year that way, now. I feed it crickets when it lives with me. When it lives with the other kid, though, I’m pretty sure it’s seitan and such. In that I have never seen meat, arthropod or otherwise, in his apartment.

The thought of holding them by a leg/tail over your private dungeon a la Dungeon Keeper is probably just an extra.

Uhh, Zepp? These are arachnids. Pretty low in the evolution pole. They barely even have brains. They probably cannot even tell that they’ve been crawling around the same place over and over. A cat or a dog kept in a restrained area would get depressed (which is why I don’t have a dog, I have no backyard or even a nearby park to walk one. The cat just crawls around the rooftops tho). Heck, they’re safer in their terrariums than out there with all their predators.

Arachnids have some of the most diverse and innovative mating and communication methods of any class in the animal kingdom. Just because their brains aren’t particularly large doesn’t mean arachnids are some sort of slack-mandibled morons; some species of spiders exhibit learning behavior of about the level seen in birds and mammals, with varying degrees of adaptive hunting strategies.

That said, they’re not very big, and they tend towards a predominantly sedentary lifestyle, on the whole, so captivity really probably isn’t a huge psychological stress, at least to most spiders. They’re surprisingly social, but would interact with a human in captivity, which is probably good enough. I mean, they’re incredibly smart for invertebrates, but that’s like saying someone has incredibly good teeth for a British person. :smug:

You are disgusting

You’ve got to admit though. He does bring up a valid point.

Whatever Zepp.

If you’d actually kept any of these, you’d see they don’t require a lot of space to be happy. A Chilean rose hair that sits in one spot and does absolutely nothing for hours/days is a happy spider. Hence their nickname “pet rock”.

For the emperor, it is always in hiding in its burrow and comes out once in a while. Therefore hobbyists named it a “pet hole”.

Trust me, they don’t care whether they are in the wild or in a small tank. They simply don’t move enough to require larger areas to be comfy unlike other animals.

Yes, rosies and emperors are boring compared to other species, but I’d rather get a good basic idea on their care than “shoot myself in the foot” by getting a more active/venomous species.