Xenosaga

I borrowed this from a friend of mine, and I think I’m almost done - so I figured I’d stir up some conversation.

So far, I think the game has been great. When I’m done I’ll probably put togehter some sort of a review or something, but the game is great, if not somewhat confusing. However, I must disagree with anyone who said that there are no links to xenogears, I noticed 3 or 4 in the first few hours of gameplay.

Anyway, yea, chatter.

Sorc: Mind telling me what those links are? I played both games (and loved them both) but I saw no such links (at least not DIRECT ones). I assume Xenogears COULD happen (at least) 6000 years AFTER Xenosaga, though.

Off the top of my head:

-The Zohar appears in the final moments of Xenogears, after you defeat the Omnigear as Fei.
-Vanderkaum is mentioned twice; once in a conversation between Commander Margulis and some lowley techie person, and in the quiz game at the AGWS shop at the Kukai Foundation. There’s also a man that bears a striking resemblence to Vanderkaum working on the Woglinde in the beginning of the game, the man bossing all the people around who are working on the Zohar.
-The necklace with the cross on it that sways back and forth. In Xenogears, that was used to show the transistion from Fei to Id (where Fei remembers the murder of his mother and such).
-The girl, Nephelim, also bears a strong resemblence to a girl in the scripted sequences of the second disk of Xenogears (at least, to me).
-Shion of Xenosaga and Citan of Xenogears share the same last name (Uzuki).

Like I said, that’s off the top of my head. I noticed a few more throughout the course of the game, however I don’t really remember them all right now.

Detective Sorcerer :smiley:

There IS a link. It isn’t explained. $_$

I noticed all of the stuff on that list too. And there’s obviously a link… that’s the point. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: That’s one of the things that makes Xenosaga fun, being able to go “oh oh!! that’s just like blah blah in xenogears, I wonder what it all means??”

The number of small links to Xenogears is absolutely insane. I really liked Xenosaga though I feel that without all the cutscenes, the game was a bit short =/. I definitely plan on playing it through again after rebeating Xenogears to catch more of the links.

Originally posted by Sorcerer
Nope. Remember, Citan isn’t really Citan’s name.

It’s still a link because why else would he choose to call himself that?

I love Xenosaga, but have never played Xenogears.

:frowning:

None of them were even released in Europe!! cries

In the ending…

Wilhelm mentions that “All the pieces are now in place. Abel’s Ark can finally be constructed.” Do you remember how earlier in the game, Margulis was talking about how people in this world no longer have any will? That life is just an endless cycle of consumption? Well, this Abel’s Ark may have had something to do with it. I believe that Wilhelm (as well as the U-TIC) are planning to create an “Ark” (known as the Elsa, renamed the Eldridge) to start a new civilization on another planet, allow them to grow and prosper, and eventually terraform their entire planet into a weapon, just to have an excuse to wipe out civilians by blaming it on another planet.

Or not… 8P I’d love to hear what everyone who has completed the game thinks of the story.

if perfect works still applies in any way then XG occurs approx. 10000 years after XS1. many sites seem to think that XS is an attempt at removing the earth references rampant in XG, among other things.

a good site for info like this is guardian.leamonde.net

Euhm…The way XS worked, it does anything BUT remove Earth references. I don’t remember too many Earth references in XG either. The Elsa’s a tad too small to be the basis for the Eldridge and I’m not too sure what the purpose of the Eldrige IS since it IS carrying a planetary scale weapon.You don’t just colonize planets with stuff like that and from the sound of it, they don’t have problems colonizing planets as it is.

i mean the references saying that the planet in XG is earth.

I played Xenosaga and Xenogears and absolutly loved it.Well about the links to Xenogears i think we beter not make to many asumptions since there is the small chance they might change a lot of things when they reach Episode 5(Xenogears) since we know the game was rushed especially the second disk were they took things out that werent even in perfect works.

Originally posted by Sinistral
Euhm…The way XS worked, it does anything BUT remove Earth references. I don’t remember too many Earth references in XG either. The Elsa’s a tad too small to be the basis for the Eldridge and I’m not too sure what the purpose of the Eldrige IS since it IS carrying a planetary scale weapon.You don’t just colonize planets with stuff like that and from the sound of it, they don’t have problems colonizing planets as it is.

if i remember correctly, the eldridge was a “refugee ship” that they just snuck deus on to transport. its pretty obvious i think that deus is a gnosis, or an artificial gnosis perhaps. we have really no idea what vector has accomplished in their secret death labs. also, U-DO played a big part towards the end of XS 1 and we have no idea of what thats about, or the real purpose of kos-mos.

-The Zohar appears in the final moments of Xenogears, after you defeat the Omnigear as Fei.
-Vanderkaum is mentioned twice; once in a conversation between Commander Margulis and some lowley techie person, and in the quiz game at the AGWS shop at the Kukai Foundation. There’s also a man that bears a striking resemblence to Vanderkaum working on the Woglinde in the beginning of the game, the man bossing all the people around who are working on the Zohar.
-The necklace with the cross on it that sways back and forth. In Xenogears, that was used to show the transistion from Fei to Id (where Fei remembers the murder of his mother and such).
-The girl, Nephelim, also bears a strong resemblence to a girl in the scripted sequences of the second disk of Xenogears (at least, to me).

the “zohar modifier” is the power source of deus, its a very obvious link. especially when the zohars are the primary story driving elements in episode 1. the nisan pendant is completely obvious, and i have a suspicion that the pleroma is the nisan cathedral, if not just because they have similar shapes and both contain churches. i thought it was pretty obvious that nephillim was elly (or elly is nephillim). xenosaga so far is full of gnostic and psychological references, that it wouldnt hurt to learn more about if you want to understand more of the story. i found out recently that there was an early French psychoanalyst by the name of Lacan. sound familar?

I’m not so sure about Elly being Nephelim or vise verca - it doesn’t really add up. It might, but I don’t really have enough information to make that kind of assumption.

I also made a correlation between the Nisan chapel and Pleroma though, specifically with the bridge that towers above the pew area - the structuring of that specific room bears a striking resemblence to the cat walk above the Nisan chapel.

And, I am surprised no one pointed this out: The phrase Shion used to open KOS-MOS’s guarded memory is the same phrase that was taking over the view screen on the Eldridge in XG: “Ye shall be as Gods.”

i have another theory that when the contact met deus’s computer, kadamony, that created the first people, it used the contact’s memories to create the other humans, which might explain the recurring likenesses of citan, vanderkam, elly (who bears a striking resemblence to either the nephilim or the captain of the eldridge’s daughter, or both) etc.