Writer's Block - Help

ok, I just need some ideas… heres the scenario:

Sirria - Princess - main character

Her family has ruled this country bumkin continent for centuries, all the males of the family have been inventors and had a knack for creating and using mechanical or biological devices… theres some plot stuff… yadda yadda…

Sirria goes to get some supplies in town for her father (the king)'s inventions. When she returns, the castle is empty, the lab is destroyed, her brother dead… father disappeared into a portal that is engulfing the lab…

She and her friend go through the portal to find her father only to wake up somewhere neither of them had seen…

ok - Now, I’m in search of ideas as to WHAT could have really happened in the lab or what her father uncovered in his research.

Plot points worthy of note - The continent they live on was once floating in the sky in ancient times as the vessle for the “Temple of Wind”. You end up exploring the ruins of the temple of wind and finding all of this out before you find your father missing…

Yeah, this is all kinda convoluted but if you can make sense out of this, please offer some suggestions. Its like 7:00am so Im a little out of it…

~Izlude out

Maybe a time portal or something… go back to the time when the continent was still floating in the sky, and have a chance to change things so it doesn’t crash to the ground. (maybe father kidnapped by someone from the past to help invent something that can change things…for evil purposes)

Then you can throw in some emotions…like what would happen to the current state of things if the main characters change things…will their family/friends still be there… blah blah. I think I’ve given enough ideas :confused:

badass, thanks for the ideas.