Wonder Woman : a retrospective

You know, Wonder Woman’s twisted history can be seen as a highlight of the issues that come with a male writer scripting a strong female lead. Wonder Woman can be seen as both an image of female empowerment and equality (she is certainly able to hang out and hold her own with the likes of Superman and DC’s pantheon of heroes) and an idol of female submission and sexism (her ever-shrinking shorts, her bracelets in the Golden and Silver Ages). This whole retrospective has actually made me want to go back and take a look at her new series; maybe it’ll mark a bit of an improvement.

And man, did they try some fucked up things in the Modern Age. I’m half-interested in reading “Amazons Attack!” just to see what they were smoking with THAT idea.

Hey, look who is in the news!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080607/ap_en_tv/people_lynda_carter

How ironic!

Gallo: I don’t think WW’s problems are really about the writer’s gender: both Moulton and Perez, for example, wrote some very good WW stories with a definite pro-Women’s Rights agenda. And just because Simone is a woman doesn’t mean her run will be good. I think the actual problem with WW is her lack of a clear mission and supporting cast. But I’ll analyze that after I’m done with the specific reviews.

And if you want to read “Amazons Attack!” I’m sure you can find copies for sale in the Net- cheap. But I’d recommend for you to look for the (inevitable, these days) trade paperback collection in a bookstore and just look it over.

Part Five: The Animated Wonder Woman

Just as Diana has appeared in many comics, not just her own, over the decades, she has also appeared in many cartoons (her first animated appearance was, of all places, on a episode of The Brady Kids show!) but again, I’ll stick here only to those where she had a starring role.

…Which strangely enough, means only her appearances as part of the animated versions of the Justice League. That’s right- WW is the ONLY major DC hero to never have had her own animated series. (Even Aquaman starred on his own segments in the old Superman cartoon show.) Why is this? Did producers think a female hero couldn’t support her own series? This is of course not true, there have been lots of Superheroine Cartoons since then- in fact, He-Man’s sister She-Ra was pretty much a Wonder Woman rip-off. And having starred in her own Live Action show, you’d think WW would be a better candidate for a cartoon than relative unknowns like Spider-Woman. Or was it that they felt she didn’t have enough “material” to work with? (More on that later.)

Thus, in this section, I’ll only cover two adaptations: The Wonder Woman in Super Friends (the kid-friendly version of the Justice League) and the one in the Justice League series proper, which was more all-ages.

The Super Friends show ran for a surprisingly long time (the “Super Powers Show” in the 80’s was just a renamed SF with new characters added) so this version was in the air for quite some time (and in fact you can still catch it in some cable channels such as Boomerang.) Without a doubt, this is the best known version of the character as a result. She in turn is based pretty much on the Silver Age (Pre-Mod) version. If memory serves me, she was never given much individual coverage in the series (but then, neither did the other heroes) though I do remember an episode where the Amazons participated, and it was revealed that ALL of them possessed Wonder Woman’s powers (if they still were like that in the comics, “Amazons Attack!” might have been a little bit more credible. It still would have had plot holes the size of Utah, mind you.) The SF Wonder Woman was also seen doing some tricks that she has never done anywhere else (like having her lasso change shape) but again, SF played it loose with facts, both of physics and comics lore. SF also featured some of her enemies, though they were never clearly stated to be her personal foes (I used to mistake Cheetah for Catwoman when I was a kid.) Curiously, Giganta was used, but was given the power to grow into a giant, which she did not have back then. (I guess they wanted to explain her name. No reference was made to the fact she was originally an evolved gorilla, however.)

The WW of the Justice League version (in the 90’s) was both better and worse. Better, in that more detail was given to her personality, and some episodes specially focused on her. Yet, this WW had an attitude problem, something no other version did; I guess the writers were basing this on the fact she was an Princess of a warrior culture. It made sense, if you think about it, but it also made the usually cool-headed character into something of a jerk for a while. Thankfully, JL was a series that allowed character development, and she got better eventually.

In this version, Diana actually stole the WW armor from her mother and went to help fight the alien invasion that brought the various JL heroes together (in the pilot) so (unlike the comics of the time) she WAS a founding member of the League. Her lasso, for some reason, lacked the truth-inducing power it had always had, until a later episode were it was “activated”. My guess is that such a power made adventures too easy, especially in a show with as much intrigue as the JL cartoon had. (Such plots would not have lasted long if people could be easily forced to reveal what they knew.)

Another curious detail in the series: there was an attraction between her and Batman! While this has been hinted at in some comics too, here it was more possible to explore since Diana had no boyfriend (Steve Trevor was eventually introduced, but Diana met him during a time-travel adventure- in World War Two! That meant that Steve was WAY too old in the present to have been her lover.) It was an interesting take, though it never went anywhere like, for example, the relationship between Green Lantern and Hawkgirl did in this same series.

There is an animated direct-to-video WW movie currently in the works. Reportedly, this is based on the early Perez version of the character, which means it will likely be very good. There have been quite a few DTV animated features recently, both from DC and Marvel, and they’ve been pretty good. However they’ve also had some wild changes on them. It will be interesting to see if the “murdered women reborn” idea is used for the Amazons in this movie (I’m betting it will not.) Hopefully this will be a hit, and thus help push that Live Action WW movie closer to production.

NEXT: A comparison between the origins of the various Wonder Women, as we look for what they have in common- and what went wrong with each.

Wil: You should check out the animated version of Justice League: the new Frontier. Granted, she doesn’t appear much (nor does Superman or Batman, giving other superheroes a chance to shine), but it’s still a good movie. I cried. With tears of patriotism.

Ehh, the final section is still not ready (I decided to rewrite it) but I wanted to assure the folks reading this that it’s coming soon. :slight_smile:

Btw, VE, I haven’t seen New Frontier yet (though I’m familiar with the comic it’s based on) but I’ll be sure to do so ASAP. Oh, and in case you are not aware of it: EVERYBODY who appears in the story were all characters who had their own comic book series back in the 1950’s! Even the island with Dinosaurs was the setting for “The War that Time Forgot” series!!

Wow, I’m glad I read this thread now, I’m actually enjoying learning all this trivia about the character! Thanks Wil. :slight_smile:

Cavalcade: I’m glad to hear that, I was starting to fear the thing had become too long and detailed for most people’s tastes. :stuck_out_tongue:

Final Analysis

Let’s go back to the original question: “What is wrong with Wonder Woman?” Let’s review the evidence and see what we can conclude:

• The Golden Age WW was obviously intended by her creator as not just a new superhero, but a mouthpiece through which he could espouse his ideals about Women’s roles in society. For all his “bondage” subtext (and I’m baffled he got away with that in those much more conservative times) WW was an interesting character with strong beliefs who actually even helped reform some of her foes (take that, Batman!) and she had a stable supporting cast. So in general, it was a good interpretation.

-When Marston died, Kanigher and the other writers who handled Diana afterwards abandoned the feminist and sexual subtexts (she still spoke for Women’s rights, but that was a minor part of the stories.) Her “imaginary” adventures are not that strange if you realize that, in the 50’s and 60’s, DC comics sold many of its comics through gimmicks rather than action (as seen in the wacky adventures of Superman, Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen.) Still, the Wonder Girl fiasco was just sheer irresponsibility from the DC editors- sadly only one of the times it would happen in DC’s history.

-By the 70’s, Diana had become part of the culture through the Super Friends cartoon and the TV show; however neither version used her full “mythos”, due to the limits of the respective mediums (in SF she was just one hero among many, in the TV show the superhero elements (except WW herself) were downplayed for ‘realism’.) Thus Diana lost her chance to impress her legend on the general public the way Superman and Batman have.

-When attempting to modernize the character, O’Neal removed everything that made the character who she was- it’s obvious he wanted to write Emma Peel, not Wonder Woman. That didn’t help things.

-For the Post-Crisis reinvention, Perez made a sincere effort to have the characters make sense, and make her relevant to the DC Universe. And (despite that business with the Amazons’ origin) he succeeded. He also drew the comic, which benefited from his great, realistic artwork. Aside from one or two things, it still stands as the best version ever.

-But, Perez couldn’t be on the title forever; it was up to DC’s editors to find the right followup. And they failed. Sure, there were some periods that were better than others, but in general, it’s apparent they had no definite idea what to do with the character, and they allowed the writers to try whatever they came up with… and this ruined Perez’ carefully build setup, removing or wildly reinventing her supporting cast. This is most evident in the absurd delays they allowed in the third relaunch, and the ill-conceived Amazons Attack! series that basically destroyed everything they stood for.

-Finally, the Justice League cartoon version, while being a reinvention in and of itself, did retain that sense of power and importance that Perez had brought back to the character.

In conclusion: the problems with Wonder Woman have been two: first, through perhaps nobody’s real fault, she missed many chances to establish herself in the general publics’ mind as solidly as she could have; and second and more grave, she’s been the victim of careless writers who were more concerned with imposing their vision of the character and her world, than her long-term good.

Can Wonder Woman be fixed? Of course she can. She just needs the right writing, and the right “push” in the media. Most people agree that Simone was the best choice for her, and, had DC not been obsessed with pleasing more “famous writers” she might have solved most of the story problems by now. (Though the ideas she has come up with, if the rumors I’ve heard are true, do not impress me. But I don’t know them for sure so I won’t include them in this evaluation.) Also, the animated WW movie will hopefully show the brass at Warner Bros. (whose interference is the cause of DC running so behind Marvel in the movies department) that Diana can and should star in a big-budget Live Action Movie.

So yeah, I think things will improve for the Amazing Amazon in the future… provided somebody doesn’t screw up again.

And that’s it, I’m done! I’ll be taking questions from the audience now, if anybody still has any. Comments are welcome too. This was a lot of fun, I might do more such articles in the future (not necessarily retrospectives, mind you.) Until next time…

Great, but, uh, could you use a smaller image, or rescale that one? On my resolution it forces me to horizontally scroll the screen back and forth in order to read the text, which I find offensive to my web design senses and makes me want to set fire to the one responsible. :wink:

Odd, on the site I linked to it doesn’t look THAT big.

I’ll replace it with something else.

Edit: Done. For those wondering, the ladies behind Diana are Troia (left) and the (current) Wonder Girl (right).

Good news! The WW Animated Movie is moving along fine! Here you can see an article with some art (looks like they’re giving Diana a “Greek Beauty” look). She’s being voiced by Kerri Russell, she of “Felicity” fame (let’s hope they don’t cut off her hair THIS time!) :hahaha;

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-News-Blog/Todays-News/Exclusive-Look-Wonder/800042749

You can find art samples from the movie here: http://legionsofgotham.proboards70.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=dcuniverse&thread=5226&page=1

I like Diana’s nose. Sure, it’s different, but she’s supposed to be Greek, you know? Vive le difference! :stuck_out_tongue:

I see her shorts are still running up something fierce though… :wink:

You mean they’re doing something halfway logical instead of precisely mimicking a comic book that’s been around since forever and has had major changes since then? Heretics!