"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea

for the Devil sends the beast with wrath
because he knows the time is short…
Let him who hath understanding reckon
the number of the beast
for it is a human number
it’s number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Thus Iron Maiden opened… thus they blew me the fuck away.

But before we get to that, I guess I should talk about the rest of the concert…

The opening act was Motörhead- a band who sounds pretty damned good… in the studio.

Live? They were absolutely horrible. Every single God damned song by them sounded the same, the lead singer mumbled just about every line in the song, and worst of all didn’t seem like he even gave a fuck about being there. His attitude seemed to be, “Well, I already have your money- I really don’t care whether we sound good.” Not only that, but he made a “tribute” to Joey and Dee Dee Ramone… and… well… it was (quite frankly) an insult to their names. They even messed up “Ace of Spades,” and I really can’t see how you could possibly do that.

Dio was the next act- and I have to say that they were pretty damned good. I never really got into Dio, but I think that I’ll check them out now. One really odd thing: the drummer did a solo with the rest of the band offstage to a recording of the 1812 overture. It was really well done, but I must say that it was bizarre. Oh- and Dio (the lead singer, not the band) has an awesome set of pipes.

And then… Iron Maiden… They were just AWESOME! There really isn’t much I can say about it, actually… you can ask me any specific questions if you wish. They played some of my favorite songs, though- “Number of the Beast,” “Fear of the Dark,” “Run to the Hills,” and “Hallowed Be Thy Name” were among them.

Also- Bruce Dickenson is a pretty funny and charismatic man. In between songs he would crack some pretty good jokes- and after people were cheering for a second encore he started singing “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life” when the lights came on. I don’t know- I found that amusing… <<

All in all, it was a headbanging bootstomping good fucking time.

Yeah, I told you I knew you’d have a good time.
I’m surprised that Motorhead put on that sort of show… hmm, I would of expected more.

So they used the old trick of putting a bad preformance band before a good preformance band?: To make the good preformance band sound even better than they actually were. A true classic.

Sounds like you had a nice time.
Why can’t any good bands show up around where I live when I have the time, and money, to go and see them. Bah.

That’s interesting – and not encouraging – news about Motorhead. Though I’m still keen on seeing them when that tour comes through.

[A month from now, this same tour is coming through my area.]

Yeah, Bruce singing “always look on the bright side of life” does sound rather amusing. I can almost picture it…

Good to hear you enjoyed yourself though.