Wise is the bible

>But seriously. I think, personally, that on the long term the mainstream of religious people (read that twice so you won’t feel offended if you are religious) have only made religion to something not even worth the effort: an excuse to hurt others and build themselves up in society. No matter what century, what country, what religion… If it were my choice, there would never have been any religion. It would have saved us MILLIONS of wars and drama’s.

Religion can be a stabilizing factor too, and is most of the time.

In some cases, eventually.

But stabilisation makes sacrifices… And what I’m saying is that those sacrifices are chosen by the wrong people… From that point, it has nothing to do with religion anymore, but with corruption… Which is only human, ofcourse… :slight_smile:

Originally posted by One Winged Angel
[b]Like I said… it’s the way you read it :wink:

But seriously. I think, personally, that on the long term the mainstream of religious people (read that twice so you won’t feel offended if you are religious) have only made religion to something not even worth the effort: an excuse to hurt others and build themselves up in society. No matter what century, what country, what religion… If it were my choice, there would never have been any religion. It would have saved us MILLIONS of wars and drama’s.

In the end, it’s here, and I’m glad to see there are still people in power of giving a positive approach to something that should be handled so carefully in this time of day and age. :wink:

Damn, I’m being heavy on my first day… [/b]

There are many positive aspects about religion, and not all wars are fought because of religion. if some people didn’t have that stabalization or disipline, i shudder to think of how many other lunatics we’d have walking this earth. And I’m not saying that if you’re not religious you’re not a nice person (because that is obviously wrong) but condemning all religion…well you just have to take into consideration what you’re saying there.There are thousands of religions, probably, and a lot of it factors into ancient history, and some of it is interesting to study. I mean, would Japan not be a bit less interesting when its Shinto religion is taken away?That’s just an example, and your statement is impossible.I know that’s in your opinion, but I don’t think you understand the impact of what that’d have on the earth:p

sighs

I understand your point… This is what I was afraid of…

I am not condemning religion as a whole. I am not condemning any religion on it’s own.
I agree with you that religion is something that has given shape to our world since day one, but look at it from another point of view: Whose religion are we actually following? God’s? Our priest’s? Our parent’s? Our own? That of a maniacal king in medieval times who rewrote the entire thing to his own hand(not referring to anybody, just giving an example)? See what I mean?

I respect those who live by their religion and live it with honor. I honestly do. But I can give no mercy to the thousands at this moment, and millions through history, that used religion as a base of power and dominance over misguided people.

Not all wars are about religion. True. Not all battles, arguements are. Again, that wasn’t what I was saying. That, as well, was an example of my opinion (and I am not saying my opinion is correct to everybody, I am just sharing it out of interest towards this discussion), an example set to show how people abuse religion.

I rest my case here. Hope I cleared myself out. :wink:

This topic tends to get heated, no matter how we’re taking it. Stay civil people, it might explode in our faces so thread carefully.

As for religion, I believe that the mainstream is actually peaceful and keep their views to themselves, only celebrating on special occassions. However, as it is with everything else, those who scream are the ones who are heard.

Originally posted by Faetan
I’m not sure who’s telling you this about Mormons, but that’s not true at all! We believe he DID die for all sins. Not sure what the alterable bible is supposed to mean, though… Anyway, I don’t like being referred to as a non-Christian when I believe very strongly in Christ, as do the rest of the Mormons I’m acquainted with. Please stop bashing on my religion and beliefs, it’s something I take very personally.

My information has come from personal contact with some mormons, and www.mormon.org.

What I mean by saying they believe the Bible is alterable is that they believe that they have the athority to determine what in the Bible is false, and what is true. For instance, they beleive that John 1:1 is an untruth. They are not interpreting it differently, but rather “removing” entire texts. In my opinion, either the whole Bible is true, or the whole thing is false. There is no middle ground. My question is how can one truly believe that this is the word of God, and at the same time believe that portions of it are false? God is not a liar.

I must apologize if it is coming across as bashing. Feel free to correct me in any places I am wrong. I don’t doubt your faith in Christ, but you you believe in every word he taught?

I bet most didn’t even care about things I’ve said, that’s why I don’t like these kinds of discussion.

Oh, Ren got his feelings hurt… giggle

BJ, drop that down or there’ll be flame wars between you and me.

Oh I’m shaking!

I get your point, Ren… And I did like the phrase :wink:

But I must say it’s nice to see a forum which is supposed to be about Final Fantasy, with extentions ofcourse, that has people in it in power of having a discussion about something else than why Cloud’s hair is blonde and not brown. Or something like that.
Intelligence from time to time can be refreshing :wink:

takes a nice sip of his vodka-martini :wink:

Ren’s going to hell for evoking Buddy Jesus.

And Fae, doesn’t the Mormon belief state that only 360,000 people, the best Mormons essentially, are actually going to heaven? I don’t remember the exact details. I may be a little strict but I define “Christians” as people who believe that Christ died for their sins and he is the ONLY way to get into heaven, morality irrelevant. By that definition, Roman Catholics aren’t exactly “Christian” though. Don’t take it personally or anything, it’s not like I am a devout fundamentalist christian, I just understand their beliefs.

Well, this is the main forum so we talk about anything coming to mind. Which includes Charlemagne’s latest namechanges and the fact that Kag is the son of Sin and Merlin :o

For all the discussions about Cloud’s hair and more intelligent FF discussions, it’s the FFCompendium forum.

Originally posted by MegamanX2K
Ren’s going to hell for evoking Buddy Jesus.

I don’t think so. I already died once and the fiends down there said they’d go on a strike if I ever put a feet over their homelands. Soemthing about fearing that I could monopolyze their business and stuff. I can’t go to heavens so the only option left for the guys up there was ressing me. And here I am.

Nope X, that ain’t us! It might be the Jehovah’s Witnesses, but I’m unsure. As for the bible being all true or all false, I’d have to say that MOST of it was true. During the dark ages when the majority of people were illiterate, there were several literate men that were corrupt and changed certain sections of the bible to suit their own needs. All the various translations and retranslations made it so some parts were lost, and other parts confused. It’s true that God is not a liar, but some men are very much so.

I’m not the world expert on all the finer points of our religion, heh, but I’m willing to answer any questions or clarify things that seem confusing. Mormons aren’t as scary as a lot of people make them out to be. ^^

Originally posted by Faetan
It might be the Jehovah’s Witnesses,
I think it is.

Whoops, yeah, my bad. But still, Mormons believe that they can gain higher levels of heaven through good works and deeds, which directly contradicts what Jesus wrote.

Jesus didn’t write any of The Bible- his Apostles (allegedly).

And, quite frankly, I wouldn’t trust them.

EDIT: For instance- note how they give completely different accounts of the same event. If there were such discrepancies in their work, then who knows what else is wrong.

Although I do admit Jesus chose a great bunch of morons to surround himself with, where did you find discrepancies in their writing?

For example, the death of Judas.

Mathew 27:5 and Acts 1:18.

Oh, yes, the infamous “Judas hung himself off a cliff and fell to his death over a field” scenario.

That is a good case AGAINST the Bible being inspired by god; if it was, why would God allow for such inaccuracies?

Read the Bible with a 100% open mind. -Obadiah

How can I read this with an open mind:

Leviticus 20:13
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Isiah 3:9
The shew of their countenance doth witness against them; and they declare their sin as Sodom, they hide it not. Woe unto their soul! for they have rewarded evil unto themselves.

Romans 1:26 [for Cala!]
For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

1:27
And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

1 Corinthians 6:9
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

As for the shounen-ai:

1 Samuel

“The soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul … And Jonathan stripped himself of the robe that was upon him, and gave it to David, and his garments … and his girdle.” 18:1-4

“Jonathan … delighted much in David.” 19:2

Saul is angered by his son’s homosexual affair with David and says, “do not I know that thou has chosen the son of Jesse to thine own confusion of thy mother’s nakedness?” 20:30

David and Jonathan “kissed one another, and wept with one another” when they parted for the last time. 20:41

My source for all this is http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com

Originally posted by MegamanX2K
[b]Oh, yes, the infamous “Judas hung himself off a cliff and fell to his death over a field” scenario.

That is a good case AGAINST the Bible being inspired by god; if it was, why would God allow for such inaccuracies? [/b]

He could have hung himself by jumping off a cliff above a field.