Wireless USB Adapter Trouble

I’m trying to install a D-Link USB router to my dad’s laptop so he can walk around the house with it. I’ve been using it on my laptop to connect to the same newtwork/router for years.

After I install it, the network does not show up in “My Network Connections”. I’ve gone into the adapter’s program that I installed from the CD that came with it and manually made it find the netword. However when I try to connect to it cannot seem to get an IP address. It just hangs on that step when it tries to connect to the network? It just comes up with an error message saying it can’t connect because it can’t get an IP address.

Without telling me what an idiot I am (I’m talking to you TD and 984…) does anyone have any idea what the problem is and perhaps how to solve it?

wait wait wait
usb router?

what are you trying to connect to, a wireless network?
I need a better description

Steve,

I have a USB adapter set up to detect the router I have connected downstairs. This adapter picks up the signal given off by the router. I’m using one right now. I had to buy a new one because my old one didn’t support Vista. I am trying to install my old one on my dad’s lapop, like I used it to connect to the internet with my old laptop.

If you need any other specifics, let me know. Thanks for helping.

Here’s a link: http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=384

Problem solved. Aparently my sister didn’t completely uninstall the adapter she was using with it and it was somehow not allowing the other to work. Another stupid thing I should have caught, doh! ::doh::

yeah that would do it. it’s not common for something like that to happen on vista or xp though, that’s a pre-xp problem :confused: