Win 2000 Question

First person to suggest to change OS gets a mauling.

I want to disable some programs on startup, yet I can’t find the menu to control said startup, does anyone know where it is?

I’m not sure if it’ll work with Windows 2000, but try putting “msconfig” into the run box, then if a box pops up, click the “startup” tab.

Restart computer in MS-DOS mode, format C:*

In all seriousness, I’m not sure, my mum has win 2000 and asked me to do this exact same thing the other day, I couldn’t find the config ANYWHERE.

What GM said works, however, you could also just look around in the program for ‘Run at Startup’ options.

I’d need Dos in the first place and msconfig doesn’t work, and Xelo, you assume I wanted the program there in the first place

If you know the filenames of the programs that are starting automatically, you can search the registry (run regedit to get there) for those names. Then when you find 'em, delete 'em. And pray that those keys weren’t used for anything else that was important. :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Kero Hazel
If you know the filenames of the programs that are starting automatically, you can search the registry (run regedit to get there) for those names. Then when you find 'em, delete 'em. And pray that those keys weren’t used for anything else that was important. :stuck_out_tongue:
And fuck up your computer at the same time. Most ‘good’ virii registries hide in required microsoft registries.

Zero: I’ve never personally used 2000, but I know msconfig works on every single other version of windows. I’ll check with my sis’ computer once she gets home, since she has 2000.

Well, if you delete registry keys intelligently, you have very little to fear. If I had a reference to standard registry entries, I could just look up where Win2K stores the startup program paths.

Try putting in the start-up disk Zero, you’ll get options from there. Just try it ^_~

EDIT: Restart it with startup disk in the drive :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah I do. You go into /etc/init.d and…

Oh wait, Windows doesn’t have the neat file structure UNIX got. Nevermind.

Seriously though:

Searching around on Google gave me these two programs that should be of help to you:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Msconfig.htm

go to control panel–>administrative tools–>services

you can change how a bunch of programs load (manually, automatically, or disabled)… many are OS based and probably not pertinent to what you’re looking for, but it’s great for a few things in particular like disabling those grey pop-up boxes (disable ‘messenger’) which you probably shouldn’t be getting in the first place, and many times you can disable a virus from loading at boot through the ‘services’ window (you’ll probably need to run ‘regedit’ as well though). but if you’re getting the aforementioned problems, you should definitely look into a firewall and antivrus