Wierd things in RPGs...

Yeah, but Silver and Gold equipment look cool, which as you know is more important than the laws of physics. Speaking of which, anything can fly. (Balamb Garden, anyone?)

I’ve found two consistent facts in almost all RPG’s I’ve played.

1. Gold and silver are medium armor/weapons; silver is stronger.
  2. Almost everything can fly and will have at least one flying ship.

And a boat. Don’t forget the boats.

I have one for Wind Waker, it’s weird how they decided to make it virtually suck by making you wait hours to cross the damned oceans. Stupid ocean.

The really bad ‘Macarena’ reference in FFX after they leave Djose temple. I hated that song. And I hated Tidus even more for quoting it.

I had fun MSTing FFX.

Err… MSTing?

“Mystery Science Theather”, Pierson explained it to me yesterday :hahaha; It means watching something and inserting sarcastic comments in between, there are many fanfic parodies doing that.

Games that inexplicably use ‘Golds’ for currency.

Not gold. Golds.

Originally posted by Weiila
“Mystery Science Theather”, Pierson explained it to me yesterday…

I am the fountain of knowledge. Ommmmmm.

Weird: That Square persist in using old hackneyed character stereotypes for every game. One of the few complaints I have of the series as a whole. Come on guys, how hard can it be to think up some new personality traits?

Hey, they all based it off of FFI characters. They’re the best.

Secret of Mana, how the weapon forger just happens to always be on the same continent your on. They don’t even give the cliche excuse that he has brothers or something. It’s always a “Well, I wanted to get out of the cave in Gaia’s Navel and come to the desert [or arctic, mountains, middle of nowhere, ect.).” Same thing in Seiken Densetsu 3, except it’s with the two cats.

In battles in Final Fantasy I – VI, characters merely step forth, swing their weapons and then step back; they do not even smite the enemy, but the blow magically appears atop the enemy on the other side of the screen.

In many Dragon Warrior games, sprites move, as if they were marching, even when standing still.

Arche of Tales of Phantasia, upon either attacking an enemy or being wounded, lets fly cries which sound rather orgasmic. A sadomasochist?

Townsfolk and weak characters can survive in dangerous places. Watts the blacksmith from Secret of Mana has already been mentioned, but there are many more examples.

In the older games, towns and cities have no more than twenty houses and populations under fifty.

The fact that in many games, one character can potentially carry an inventory full of suits of armour, heavy weapons, hundreds of potions and restoratives and potentially whole cabins and houses, not to mention currency by the millions. I wonder how many tonnes such an inventory would way in real life? :stuck_out_tongue:

MSTing is something like:

Tidus: [to Lulu] Uh, what’s a “sending”? Are we going somewhere?
Me: Tidus was dropped on his head as a baby.
Lulu: You truly are clueless. Are you sure it’s just your memory that’s the problem?
Me: What’s more, he bounced.

Kind of silly, but I found the princess in Dragon Warrior bloody hilarious.

“Oh, CASE, dost thou love me?”
Yes
>No

:loop

“But thou must!”

Yes
>No

“But thou must!”

goto loop

Yes. What I find rather amusing too, is after you rescue her from that one dungeon, she leaps into your arms, and now you are represented by a brand new sprite: The DW carrying the princess in his arms.

All… the way… back… to… the castle.

Just trudging all that way, through the poisonous marshes, and the long fields, and over the bridges, I mean, it’s probably over a hundred tiles back to the castle (I wonder what that would be in miles? Way too long to be carrying that princess, to be sure).

And getting into battles along the way. Somehow he’s still able to swing his sword at slimes and ghosts and stuff while toting that Princess in both arms…

…yeah…

In breath of fire one, if you get put in prison in one town, there happens to be a ‘prisoner?’ in the same cell as you who just so happens to have the key to the celldoor everytime you get caught… What’s that all about?

Originally posted by KaiserVonAlmasy
[b]Yes. What I find rather amusing too, is after you rescue her from that one dungeon, she leaps into your arms, and now you are represented by a brand new sprite: The DW carrying the princess in his arms.

All… the way… back… to… the castle.

Just trudging all that way, through the poisonous marshes, and the long fields, and over the bridges, I mean, it’s probably over a hundred tiles back to the castle (I wonder what that would be in miles? Way too long to be carrying that princess, to be sure).

And getting into battles along the way. Somehow he’s still able to swing his sword at slimes and ghosts and stuff while toting that Princess in both arms…

…yeah… [/b]

Just like FF8 with Squally and Rinoa. it was supposed to be romantic and heartfelt, but I kept wondering just how much that chick weighed.

Originally posted by Frownguppy
In breath of fire one, if you get put in prison in one town, there happens to be a ‘prisoner?’ in the same cell as you who just so happens to have the key to the celldoor everytime you get caught… What’s that all about?

Yeah that would Karn…he slept their during the day because he’s a thief and he knew he could get out anytime he wanted to. He picks locks, remember? So he didn’t have the actual key, he just w0rkd hiz mAd sKiLLz.

Originally posted by FrownGuppy

Especially if a prisoner had the key, why didn’t he use it before?

When books have items in them, like in FF IV you can see the books on the shelves, and when you check, there’s an item.

In reference to the Cabin/Tent problem:

In the Nintendo Power strategy guide for FF1, it describes the items as magical. They are shrunk so they can fit into a pocket but grow to full size when used.

SoM’s Watts:

He travels a lot. It’s just a coincidence he’s in the some spot you are.

I used to think it was just strange that you could go into peoples houses and pillage all their loot, right in front of their face. And that person would probably end up giving you an item or information anyway.

Well ok I think you’re gettign a bit too nit picky. It’s a game, not all things are meant to reflect reality. And it’s fun looting everything without consequence. Face it, if a game was supposed to mirror real life 100% would we want to play it as much? I know I wouldn’t because there’s no escapism and no point, since I’ve seen everything with my own eyes.