Why is it so popular?

Just from my perspective and knowing more than a few people who do watch anime, part of its popularity may come from the subjects it addresses. Specifically, all the good fantasy and sci-fi with linear storylines that are written to make sense and have a conclusion, unlike the mainly episodic stuff in the 'states.

There are several tendencies of anime. One tendency I have seen incredibly frequently is that they manage to be humorous and serious at exactly the same time.

Cowboy Bebop is a good example of that type. (speaking of which, I need to go rent the next DVD of that…)

Note that anime are not your conventional cartoons. Anime such as Neon Genesis Evangelion is the type I would never allow small children to see.

“Cartoons are for kids” definitely does not apply to anime. Examine each show individually, then decide.

Originally posted by Chris StarShade
There are several tendencies of anime. One tendency I have seen incredibly frequently is that they manage to be humorous and serious at exactly the same time.

Again I reference Full Metal Alchemist. The anime begins with the attempted ressurection of the heroes dead mother, and then leaves him bleeding from severed limbs next to a pile of still-living mutated Akira-style blood and yuckiness. It’s a good series for kids to get into (Ed’s height inferiority complex and the other Alchemists are funny as hell to watch), but every so often it just throws something at you that makes you take a step back and think ‘wtf?’

And RPT is right. One of the main reasons I watch anime is that I know what eventually it will end, and that moment will not be ten years in the future after 50 recycled plots. Evangelion and other shows like Lain and Boogiepop proved it’s better to burn out than rust.

All Anime has it’s good sides. Hamtaro, Pokemon, ect are looked down upon, but those Anime are made to make kids happy.

Did it really matter for you ask?

Originally posted by Dark Sand
Yu-gi-oh are very popular with younger viewers they don’t really have an appeal that goes beyond that.

Funny thing. Yu-Gi-Oh is actually a TEEN anime in Japan.

Originally posted by Gizamaluke
Funny thing. Yu-Gi-Oh is actually a TEEN anime in Japan.

cough, splutter

Yes, Mercenary 09, of course I had to ask. You know why? Because… well… because I can.

Heh, I actually heard that Yu-Gi-Oh was a teen anime somewhere before. It’s sort of weird to think of it as one though.

When they brought Yu-Gi-oh over here they killed it with the censoring,the first 15 episodes never aired,i have seen some of them and they are really good.

I heard in the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh, Yugi killed people by “mind raping” them.
Also Yu-Gi-Oh is much more mature themed in Japan.
People actaully DIED in it, not go to some Shadow Relm crap.

I heard in the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh, Yugi killed people by “mind raping” them.

For what i have seen not exactly killed them,more like traumatizing them

Well I know he killed some people.

Yeah, it’s too bad about Yu-Gi-Oh. If they hadn’t done all that censoring, maybe I would be watching it. Of course, it wouldn’t be on Kids WB.