What the hell were they thinking?!?

Originally posted by Kagato Toujou
[b]Actually, liked FFX’s regular battle music. It stayed true to it’s roots from way back when, while at the same time employing the new sound system technology of today (or a few years back…). And I only heard so much of the soundtrack, but from what I’ve heard, it’s pretty nice. The opening piano piece “Zanarkand” or whatever, it’s a pretty nice arrangement to do on piano, especially in the key it’s in.

Other than that, I have no real reason to suffer through FFX. I finally saw the game in action a couple of days ago, and I must agree it is all that is rancid poo in the FF world. 'cept the music. There isn’t a FF soundtrack I don’t like. (FF9 is my fav second being FF5) [/b]

In other words you didn’t really try it and go through it and see exactly how the game worked and why it was good.

I really liked FFX. My main complaint is that the mini-games to get the Celestial Weapons were murder and I so wanted to chuck the game out the window. The customizable weapons were good but I agree that some weapons should allow you to do more or less damage.

I heard FFX ripped alot of plot points and characters off from Grandia II

I don’t know, if it wasn’t for the system, I’d have finished FFX already, but I don’t want to, I just find the Sphere Grid/Tag Team system tedious.

I don’t know, the Tag Team system makes me think of Pokémon since each character is good against a certain type of monster.

And damn, did they have to have this much palette swapped monsters?

The fact that Yu Yevon was a fucking bug annoyed me alot!I thought that he was introduced to late, Just like Ultimecia. But the worst was Necron in FF9. WHERE THE HELL DID HE COME FROM?!?!?!?!

Well, since everyone’s giving their opinion on FFX, might as well add my own!

The Story: Like most people, I didn’t understand several things at the end, and that left me feeling unsatisfied. For example, WHY was it necessary to perform the sending EVERY time that someone died, or they would stick around as monsters? How come some became things like floateyes and others were just like human? What happened to people BEFORE the sending ritual was invented?
Also, What was the whole point with Sin? I understand Yu Yevon created it to destroy Zanarkand’s destroyers, but why then allow it to roam free? To keep the world primitive so no more weapons of mass destruction were created? But if so, why did Sin attack primitive villages? Did Yevon go insane? Or did he simply lose control of the thing?
And like everybody, I had a hard time swallowing the way fantasy turned into reality in the story.
STILL, although I found the story elements not explained well enough, the story DOES work, and the characters were likeable. Yuna and Tidus’ romance was the typical “shy” japanese romance, not bad but nothing special either. But I liked the variation of characters, and I feel they were presented (and voice acted) very well.
Game System: In general, I liked the combat system, like the fact that you could switch in the other members at will. The sphere system didn’t bother me much, other than having to hunt for the “key” spheres. However, I did NOT care for the minigames- I’m not a sports guy so Blitzball left me cold, and the chocobo races were infuriating.
Graphics: The one outstanding element of FFX, of course, were the ultrarealistic graphics. It was just beautiful to behold.

In general, I LIKED FFX- it wasn’t THAT big of an improvement over other FFs, but it delivered what I look for from any FF: Epic story, likeable characters, and interesting game systems.

hmm, that’s not what I understood (regarding Wil’s second spoiler)

When Bevelle’s troops arived at Zanarkand, it was already destroyed. That was when they first saw Sin, implying Yu Yevon destroyed Zanarkand.

Of course, it’s been a year since I listened to the old man who explains stuff tell that bit of the story. I think that’s who explained it. And I can’t remember his name or where I was when he said it.

Originally posted by Wilfredo Martinez
WHY was it necessary to perform the sending EVERY time that someone died, or they would stick around as monsters? How come some became things like floateyes and others were just like human? What happened to people BEFORE the sending ritual was invented?

I could write a big long Sociology essay pointing out how traditions and folkways are created and practiced, but I don’t wanna put everyone in a coma. :boring:

I haven’t played FFX yet. Like someone mentioned before ( I don’t remember. Sorry) it was because of the movie sequences , graphics and music that I want to. I’m actually glad to hear that character leveling is challenging. In FF8 all I did was stock everyone with the strongest spells and run around a lot. I finished off the bosses with countless Shockwave Pulsars and Renzokukens

FF8 lacked a lot in the story department. I’m hoping FFX will make up for that.

Trillian: It isn’t the CONCEPT of the Sending that I don’t understand (many cultures have something similar) it’s the NEED for it that was never explained. You noticed that ONLY in the case of those characters who conveniently for the story, remained in human form (like Auron or Yunalesca), but everyone else became bizarre things? WHAT was the difference?

Personally I loved this game. I actually liked the sphere grid, because I like the feeling of being able to create a white mage that has and attack of like 4000. That just cool. The story was another thing that I liked, when you played it you could really get into it. You know feel the pain, the happieness, everything. I also like the switch system, I felt that that was very helpful in a lot of battles. Just what would you would do if you didnt have auron or kimarhi in the battle and there was a strong defensed creature. You would be screw pretty much.

Well that pretty much sums up why I like FFX, it was just a good all around game. Not the best FF mind you but it was still good play. A game that I think deserves a replay every now and then.:cool:

I just started playing it, and it seems all right. The sphere grid so far, is a little annoying, but it’s kinda cool that you have almost compleate control over the development of your characters. I like the tag team system as well.

It seems good so far, but I wasn’t expecting much when I got it anyway (it was 20 bucks as best buy). Usualy as Final Fantasy games go, it is a pretty straight foreward quest to kill some evil being, but then on the way, you find out that you have to kill something twice as evil and powerful about half way through the game. And in the tradition of 3D final fantasy games, there is always a werid plot twist, that either doesn’t make much sence, or has you throwing your controler in anger such as FF8s orphanage thing

Oh, if you hated it so much, why did you keep playing it anyway?