What makes you nerd out?

Yay Math!

Fuck Math.

Fuck that, math is actually fun once you get it.

I will fucking cut you Kasey.

And that is no lie.

Math is wonderful.
Trying method after method to solve a proof is so stimulating. And when you find that one obscure lemma that will link everything together in your proof the feeling you get is just riveting.

I think it’s hilarious you have a differential equation and say, “Well crud, I can’t do this in real space.” So you go into pretend Laplace Space and solve it using basic Algebra.

Explain yourself.

I think one of my favorite things was when we were given some integrals that are near impossible/really hard to solve in real plane. So we raised them into the complex plane and suddenly they were easy. The answers just fell out of the problems beautifully.

If you think math is fun, I feel bad for you because you have no life.

Dates are fun. Lollipops are fun. On the right lady, a tight sweater can be LOTS of fun. The quadratic equation? Not so much.

I have quite a good life, actually.
The coolest thing about a quadratic equation is all the different methods you have to learn to solve it. You start off with a pretty simple guess and check method that looks a little like this (x +a)(x +b) when you solve it. You then learn that there are special equations that factor quite nicely(Difference of squares and such). Then you come across a problem where the factor method fails. Then what?
Now is the time to learn a new technique: completing the square. But completing the square is a long process. So we generalize the quadratic equation and use the completing the square method on this equation. Suddenly a beautiful result falls out of the problem. The quadratic formula. Now all your problems are solved. Now there is no quadratic equation you can come against that will not be defeated by this formula.
It’s really an exciting section to teach.

Math CAN be a lot of fun- if you have the mind for it. Some of us just don’t “get” math. I had great grades in every subject in my life except math. Never could handle anything beyond basic algebra, nor wanted to. However I know people who had lots of fun imagining 4th dimensional constructs and calculating them. More power to them.

Haha. Well, that came as a side effect after people started calling me Poke. There was a LOT of “/me pokes Poke”, and me poking people back.
Actually, I still use “poke poke” as a way of getting people’s attention if they don’t answer me in an instant messenger chat or things like that.

I understand math. I pass math in school. I do not think of it as entertainment.

You’re not getting my point, KC. It’s not about understanding mathematics; it’s about having a natural talent to mentally juggle, even visualize, it. Believe me, some people can even design stuff in their heads that most of us couldn’t even see even if it existed! (Quantum physics and such stuff…) ::dekar!::

I get what you mean, Wil my man. I just think that math should never, ever be recreation.

Well Kasey, once you finish having your kid you’re gonna have to enjoy math because NO ONE WANTS A BARREN WOMEN. >:E

:kissy:

I have to agree with mythology on that one because everyone seems amazed how much I know about Greek/North myth. Yeah they know the “Midas’s touch” turns things to gold but they have no clue about the myth behind it.

That and when anyone has a computer problem that I know how to fix or advise them in any way. I tend to go overboard with that especially if it’s a damsel in distress.

I tend to nerd out most about geography and weather. I was charting courses via the Cartesian system before I knew how to read and I was reading at the first grade level when I was four.

There is absolutely no flaw in callin a mother of two barren…none at all…

To follow-up on my nerding out on sheet music, I found the sheet music for “Bratja” from Full Metal Alchemist. I am really glad I found this. It’s one of my favorite pieces from the series - very pretty. It’s a fun song to play, too, and I’ve been killing two nerd-birds with one stone over on the piano :slight_smile:

If you’d like to know what it sounds like (or to jog you’re memory if you’ve watched FMA before), check it out.