What is love?

An electro-chemical reaction in the brain. *Nod, nod.

Love is the ability to be both happy, content, and sad at the same time.

Originally posted by Trillian
Love sucks.

[holds up a sign that says “ditto”]

I don’t think I want to be here when Valentines day rolls around.

For me, love is a warm and tender feeling of intense affection and compassion felt for another. It is an intrinsic part of my life and something which I know that I shall experience again and again throughout my life. When I am in love, I am filled with happiness and some anxiety, because I am unsure about how it will develop and change my life. Love is so powerful that it can affect all parts of one’s life, both positively and negatively, to various degrees. Loss of love is painful (to various degrees), but in order to fully understand love and how truly wonderful it is, one needs to experience a loss of love.

I believe that understanding and appreciating what love is is the key to finding it. Achieving those two, in turn, requires a thorough knowledge of the self, because love will be different from person to person and at different times in one’s life. Of course, understanding others certainly helps as well. An optimistic attitude towards love may also help (it has helped me).

Originally posted by ClothHat
I don’t think I want to be here when Valentines day rolls around.

YOU don’t wanna be around?!?!?!?

:smiley:

Love is something different to everybody, as mentioned before.

But love isn’t always good. There are always those obsessed with the person they’re supposably in love with, or there are always those obsessed with the idea of being in love.

I could add my own definition but I’d go on and on and on and on. Seriously. I’ll just add little bits and pieces to add to everyone else’s.

“Love makes you do the wacky.”

It really does.

I also favour another quote about love, pertaining to women, from a book I read for school recently.

“Women like to think they’re in love when they marry; they feel it’s a justification which helps their self respect. No harm in that, most of them are going to need all the illusions they can keep up anyway. But a woman who is in love is a different proposition. She lives in a world where all old perspectives have been altered. She is blinkered, single purposed, undependable in other matters. She will sacrifice anything, including herself to that one loyalty. For her that is quite logical for everyone else, it looks not quite sane…socially it is dangerous…”

I know from experience that men can just as easily feel the same way… dreamy sigh but mind you it can apply to women more often than men, obviously.

I’m not sure how common my experience with love is. Maybe it’s affected everyone else here totally differently. In that case I can’t contribute much to anyone’s understanding. I’m not certain enough about anything regarding love, to define it for other people. It was on my mind today, though, before I read this thread. I can talk about how love has affected me.

I often see things in other people that I like or admire. When I do, I’m naturally affected to make myself better in a similar way. In a sense, I respond by trying to inwardly move closer to that person by becoming more like the person in some good way. Usually I’ll change a little, or I won’t, and that’ll be the end of it.

Sometimes, though, two people see each other in that way. Each reacts to the other by wanting to become more like him or her. As they try to assume the good things about each other as parts of themselves, they simultaneously become more and more like each other at heart. They continually bring out the good things in each other, so that each likes both him or herself and the other continually more. It’s a process that spirals upwardly out of control, until each so relies on the other for inspiration and example, that each becomes for the other the primary, human source of meaning in his or her life. They become so inwardly alike that, historically, they are said to be “one in mind, heart, and body”. Then, they might marry.

The unending process of inspiration between them, I think, the process by which each becomes better and more like the other, is love.

Xwing1056

In one word, fiction. Really bad fiction. It only exists in someone’s twisted imagination. It’s a lie, a convenient excuse for many stupid things. Lust, murder, jealousy, irrational desires to control someone, lies, treachery, all of them are often justified by that nonexistent concept.

An aimless feeling of goodwill toward another human being, caused by the random increase in the amounts of seratonin being produced by the brain.

And i hope it never happens to me.

Originally posted by Xwing1056
Sometimes, though, two people see each other in that way. Each reacts to the other by wanting to become more like him or her. As they try to assume the good things about each other as parts of themselves, they simultaneously become more and more like each other at heart. They continually bring out the good things in each other, so that each likes both him or herself and the other continually more. It’s a process that spirals upwardly out of control, until each so relies on the other for inspiration and example, that each becomes for the other the primary, human source of meaning in his or her life. They become so inwardly alike that, historically, they are said to be “one in mind, heart, and body”. Then, they might marry.
Dood, you described my thoughts perfectly.

Manus, quit being a bitter motherfucker and get yourself an actual gf before condemning love invariably. You sound like a kid throwing a tantrum because he got his toy taken away.

Love is when you feel that it’s only you and that person in the world and nothing else really matters. Yet . . . you really can’t describe it. It’s just something you feel. When it hits you, it’s just like “Wow . . . this is so amazing.” You feel like you’re looking at everything through a new prospective.

When you’re in love, you don’t notice any fault, any wrongs or misdoings on that person’s behalf.

That’s what I think it is. But I can’t speak for the rest of the people.

Manus, you’ve dropped hints all over the place that you’re obviously still carrying the torch for <i>somebody</i>. Get over it. You can’t expect to marry someone within a month of internet chatting for frig’s sake, and you can’t expect your life to end because of it. Move on, and I assure you your attitude will change. Just because love is lost once does not mean it has to become eternally unfound thereafter.

I carry torches for no one. I serve no one. I am not anyone’s slave.

Love isn’t about being slave to someone it’s being slaves to each other. Apparently during your healing session you rejected this and all other ideas and concepts of love because you can’t handle them, and you don’t want to because you believe every woman, faceless on the net or smack right in front of you, is going to leave you forever scorned.

There are other people out there you know. Building yourself up to hate any signs of love be it friendship or romance is unhealthy and you’re only narrowing your chances of finding someone in the process.

And you know what I’m talking about. I know you’re talking out of a hole in your ass, Manus, and your other friends do to.

Originally posted by Phantasy_Starlight
[b]Love is when you feel that it’s only you and that person in the world and nothing else really matters. Yet . . . you really can’t describe it. It’s just something you feel. When it hits you, it’s just like “Wow . . . this is so amazing.” You feel like you’re looking at everything through a new prospective.

When you’re in love, you don’t notice any fault, any wrongs or misdoings on that person’s behalf.

That’s what I think it is. But I can’t speak for the rest of the people. [/b]

Thats about it.

God is love.
Love is blind.
Therefore, Ray Charles is God.

edit - Dammit Steve, I wanted to say it.

Seriously though, I’ve been in love, thought I’ve been in love, and fooled myself into thinking I was in love. I feel like I know a lot about it (at least enough to be able to express what I think it is), but I’m still learning.

Hate. Have you ever seen a relationship that’s lasted that hasn’t had hate in it? Hate’s essential to love.

Originally posted by VickiMints
God is love.
Love is blind.
Therefore, Ray Charles is God.

lol :hahaha;

I’ve not read any of the posts cos I’m tired and blah blah blah, so if this has already been said, whatever.

I feel that love is very strange and one of, if not the, hardest emotion to understand. It feels different for each person, and every time you fall in love it feels different. It’s a mixture of many different things; trust, joy, caring, enjoyment of one’s company, sadness, fear, anxiousness and need, as well as some others.

It is one of the purest and deepest emotions there is to feel, yet very rare. When you realise you are in mutual love with someone, it is the most wondorous thing in the world, yet when it ends, it’s shatteringly harsh.

For me, feeling love itself was like seeing a whole new colourful world for the first time and only one person mattered in it and even though I was so happy that I had this person, I was also sad and afraid because I knew that one day I would lose her. It was like there were no flaws in the world and everything was beautiful and calm. It was like a burning fire in the heart, it needed careful tending to keep it bright and strong and powerful. It was like she was the only person that could really see me and know me.

This is just how I feel though, just my opinion and I’m sure many people think of it differently as I said. Just the ramblings of a tired, ill, overworked college student.

Love hurts, love scars
Love wounds and mars
Any heart not tough
Or strong enough
Take a lot of pain
Take a lot of pain
Love is like a cloud
And it holds a lot of rain
Love hurts, (ooooo), love hurts
You’re young, I know
Baby, what’s so
I know a thing or two