Wert and Info got pwnd

Everybody else I’ve asked who’s tried it says that portage > apt

Originally posted by Sinistral
they’re good when they’re designed to reduce schizophrenic hallucinations.
Are you kidding? Hallucinations rock!

Try LSD.

Hallucinations do rock, but schizophrenic hallucinations suck. Trust me man.
Sin’s right though, if you want to hallucinate, do LSD.
errr, but yeah, Microsoft and their crazy antics…

Originally posted by Gila-Monster
Hallucinations do rock, but schizophrenic hallucinations suck. Trust me man.
Sin’s right though, if you want to hallucinate, do LSD.
errr, but yeah, Microsoft and their crazy antics…

NO! LSD BAD! GET AWAY, FLASHBACKS! AAAAHH!

And this further proves why XBox is bad, besides the fact that all the good games aren’t exclusives and the controller is still a bit freaky (although mercifully smaller now, and nowhere near is insane as the Gamecube’s controller). Linux users will still find a way around it, though. They have enough time to work around with an insanely complicated OS just to backlash at Microsoft for bugs that have only happened to about seven people, they have enough time to work around every defense Microsoft tries against them.

Oh, and if someone tries to do the MSBlast thing on the XBox (which will probably happen someday), I want everyone to rise up, hunt him down, and kill him.

Originally posted by Martin Jigmar
Everybody else I’ve asked who’s tried it says that portage > apt

Yes. Portage as a program is indeed better than apt, but from what I’ve heard Gentoo doesn’t have nearly as many software libraries and repositories as Debian does.

The difference between portage and apt is that the former takes the source, optimises it for your system and compiles it. Thus you get a very slimmed-down system, which is something you won’t get from Debian (although Debian’s not nearly as bad as Redhat/Mandrake/Whatever). It’s the same principles that the BSD ports system is based upon.

Plus, you need a really good CPU if you want to run Gentoo… 500 MHz takes 5 days to install the fricken thing on. So my advice is wait a while until technology has caught up with it, THEN switch to Gentoo. Right now, go with Debian.

Bloody. I guess I won’t be using Gentoo for my NAT server…it’s got a 700 MHz CPU.

I wanted to play with it, too.

Heh, Gentoo is great for a desktop system, and if you want to try it and play around with it, go ahead. But it’s most definitely not a server OS.

Debian is good on both server and desktop but doesn’t excel in either, same thing for Slackware.

And then there is OpenBSD which is the best server OS ever. :smiley:

I’m using either Linux or Windows 2000 Server, I don’t know enough about any other OS.

If not Gentoo, I’m tempted to go RedHat, since that’s the distro I know best.