Well, I have a virus

Apparently it’s been doing…not a lot, since I recognize the file name from over a year ago. It sends through MSN (which is how I got it) because a friend of mine had it and the link sent itself to me through an IM, and I clicked on it, and told my friend that there was nothing there and she didn’t know what the hell I was talking about. Then I showed her the lnik “she” sent me and understood, but she said she ran a virus scan on her computer and it didn’t detect anything. Well I’m running one now, and it showed up:

W32/FunkyPic.worm

But I can’t find ANYTHING on it…does this go by a different name? Since McAfee wont give me any search results, I don’t know how to properly destroy it, or whatever you do with viruses. Should I just locate the folder and delete it? i’m hoping someone will give me some insight on this because I can’t find anything else, and I’m quite intimidated by computers, so I’m not sure what I should do in case I screw something up.

Help?

EDIT: ARRG TWO! TWO! I cant believe I havent run a scan this long. This one is:

JS/Noclose

How do I get rid of these things?:too bad;

Double Edit: Forgive me bad grammer and run on sentences.

I had W32.klez awhile back, perhaps the fix for that one would work on your “funky pic” one.

JS/NoClose sounds like 'JavaScript NoClose." Try searching that?

Easiest solution:

Back up everything you want to save on a CD-ROM and do a reformat & reinstall.

Originally posted by Wertigon
[b]Easiest solution:

Back up everything you want to save on a CD-ROM and do a reformat & reinstall. [/b]

Right like I so know how to do that :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually 4 things showed up, one virus and three trojans which Im working my ass off to get rid of (apparently my virus protection ran out ages ago, and McAfee doesn’t seem to remove the viruses as well as scan them, and the other two I tried, you have to pay for…I downloaded a firewall to avoid this in the future and Im running another virus scan which is said to REMOVE all the shit after it detects them which is what I want)

Nothing’s damaged, the trojans are minor annoyances I have to get rid of and I haven’t figured out what the Funky pic one does, but I’ll take your advice Dev.

Some computers come with a reinstallment disc that will start the computer completely from the scratch, as it were when you bought it, I don’t think aol computers has such a thing, but mine hat one… I reinstalled, it was great… ahem…

You must have a pretty crappy virus scanner if it doesn’t clean the files for you. The only time I’ve ever had a problem with a virus scanner not cleaning files is when my dad had a one that created files with names XP couldn’t handle. I solved that by using a win 98 bootdisk to run the old scandisk, which renamed the files.

yeah I know, but I had so much shit installed afterwards, so there’s no point in that, I’ll keep that in mind though if I ever reformat (and here I thought they was jus’ useless discs)

I’m just going to try and hunt them down with whatever little or no knowledge of trojans that I can. Or let EZ antivirus do it for me >.>

EDIT: Epic it was McAfee. I guess it’s crappy?

Drop by Norman. They have fixes for the most recent viruses and provide a trial version of their AV.

Bless you, Eva (or your computer, for that matter).

BTW, try Norton. I have it here, never had any serious virus problems.

Is it free? Will it delete any birus and trojan it scans?

I’m kinda reluctant to switch now, cuz I got the whole EZ armor thingy installed, and I want to keep the firewall, but if I delete the virus protection (which I need to do, apparently, to get another type of protection) the firewall goes with it as well and arrg I’m so aggravated Im not switching over, and I will continue to hunt those little bastards downp:unch::

Originally posted by Evangelion
[b]Is it free? Will it delete any birus and trojan it scans?

I’m kinda reluctant to switch now, cuz I got the whole EZ armor thingy installed, and I want to keep the firewall, but if I delete the virus protection (which I need to do, apparently, to get another type of protection) the firewall goes with it as well and arrg I’m so aggravated Im not switching over, and I will continue to hunt those little bastards downp:unch:: [/b]

Your system is already breached. A firewall will do you little good. You are under attack, get the stuff you need to defend that. Do you think that say… a city being invaded by barbarian hordes would be like “Damn- we have to get rid of these barbarians… BUT NOT UNTIL WE FIX THE WALLS!”

Originally posted by Cybercompost
Your system is already breached. A firewall will do you little good. You are under attack, get the stuff you need to defend that. Do you think that say… a city being invaded by barbarian hordes would be like “Damn- we have to get rid of these barbarians… BUT NOT UNTIL WE FIX THE WALLS!”

haha nice way of putting it. But nothing seems wrong with my computer. The virus seems to be gone since it seemed of little importance and I deleted it (it didnt show up the second time I scanned through) It’s just the trojans are bugging me. There’s that no close thing, which is minor (yet annoying) and the other two, I have no idea what they do, it’s just that they cant seem to be deleted and Im at my wit’s end. my boyfriend is gonna try and help me to get rid of them but Im getting paranoid in the process that my comp is going to suffer NOW. Nobody’s hacking me, I’m not losing anything important, they’re just annoyances, which I why I’m choosing to keep my firewall.

Or do you have a better suggestion? :\ I don’t want to sign up for any new protection unless I know it’ll scan, delete and protect my comp, because I installed/removed so much stuff yesterday and I don’t want to go through it again, I just want a nice reliable software to do it’s job…

Norton will do all that, efficiently and automatically, and you don’t need to remove other anti-virus to install it. It also updates itself automatically when you are in the internet about every other day when there is a lot of virus activity around, otherwise it’ll do it mostly on wednesdays.

Oh Ren you are so loved! Thanks to everyone else who had a say in this too.:yipee:

grumbles and curses virus makers and their mothers
Let this be a lesson to you. The standard Windows firewall sucks. Keep Norton updated.
grumbles, curses some more and leaves
Only having one contact on the list is better than what you may think.