Warning: Political/Mature People Thread

oh Curtis, you mad duck you.

Originally posted by Curtis
I think some of you are expressing views somewhat disconnected from reality. Most kids don’t lose their virginity till the age of 16 or 17, and still a sizable chunk don’t lose it until they get to college.

That is what I have heard, too. But were you actually looking a study when you posted this or not? I should desire to see some hard evidence.

That can be different for any place, though.

“They’ll be just legalizing something people do regularly.”

But it sets something of a national standard for propriety.

“I think some of you are expressing views somewhat disconnected from reality. Most kids don’t lose their virginity till the age of 16 or 17, and still a sizable chunk don’t lose it until they get to college.”

Not most, but many do lose their virginity in the 12-14 years.

“A lto of kids that age are not educated, are generally horny and are not willing to slow down and take time to think over just what they’re doing.”

This is why we need to stop teaching abstainance-only sex-ed to high school students and start educating kids at a much younger age, as well as do away with the massive taboo on kids and sex.

Just because a lot lose their virginity at 12-14 doesn’t mean that the age should be lowered to that. That doesn’t make sense if you look at it logically.

Schools in my area aren’t teaching sex as being forbidden and abstainance-only…in elementary, they gave the information to us quite rapidly and graphically.That was in ELEMENTARY.Maybe it’s just school programs and certain areas that are different.Lowering the age consent wont do any good if pre teens dont know what they’re doing.Law officials are just basically saying, “It’s ok to have sex, even though you are not done growing physically, mentally and emotionally” and it is making it ok for pre teens to be pushed into a rather adult situation.Even older teenagers are sometimes not able to deal with sex, and people think a majority of today’s extreme youth are?

MY most-likely-unwanted-around-these-parts philoophy?
ABSTINENCE!!! - You have to admit, if you follow it, there are less STD’s, divorces, etc.
But I’m not thick either, if a person is dead set in their mind that they’re gonna get some, teach 'em so that they don’t COMPLETELY screw up their life.
As for the whole lowering the age of consent thing, it’s quite fine where it is. If underage people are gonna have sex, then they’re gonna have sex. it’s that simple. But, the whole age of consent thing does protect those (at least partially) who were forced into something. It’s a LOT easier to make something out to be consentual (sp?) when the victim is of legal age…

“MY most-likely-unwanted-around-these-parts philoophy?”

I respect your opinions and would like as many as possible to share theirs here.

“ABSTINENCE!!! - You have to admit, if you follow it, there are less STD’s, divorces, etc.”

There is also the notable lack of the enjoyment and closeness that can be derived from sex.

For all those who got little to no linking with the real world: have you ever watched Kids? Real world is just like that. Think of it.

I shall rephrase that comment into abstinence until marriage (or if you dislike that, at least until you can commit to having one partner)

EDIT: I said most likely :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Silhouette
There is also the notable lack of the enjoyment and closeness that can be derived from sex.

Yeah, but there are consequences, and I REALLY doubt anybody below 16 is really emotionally , mentally, and physically mature to take the consequences.

I really don’t feel anyone should ahve sex before they’re 16… 18 would be better. Hell, I wasn’t even introduced to sex until I was 16.

The problem with adolesence, is that it’s a time of major change: notably hormones. And hormones do a pretty good job about making some forget how sex SHOULD be shared, and go for putting thier load in anyone who’ll open up.

What difference would lowering the Age of Concent make? As Sinistral said: Teens shag already.
I personally’d keep the Age of Concent; which can’t be viewed as much more than a guideline, where it is: 16-18. I think that is when most of us mature enough to realize what consequences it might have.

Y’know, I lost my virginity at 15. I’m not going to go into it for personal reasons (for those of you who remember, I first went out with a guy; figure it out), but it did trouble me a lot. 15’s not a good age at all to set the AoC at. Not many people are ready to handle the consquences at that age (if they are, then they probably wouldn’t screw 'cause they do know the consequences). Hell, I know 20 year olds who wouldn’t be able – and can’t – handle it.

And about the girls and statutory rape: I don’t think it applies to us, which makes it a sexist law. Equality for women, my ass.

Another thing about 12-14 year olds having sex and raping/being raped: Who here has read John Grisham’s A Time to Kill? Think about the emotional and physical effects sex at such a young age would have on a girl (I say girl because a guy is less likely to be raped; another sexist thing).

Well that’s generally because it’s a power thing, rape is. For some reason men seem to be more agressive about it. Not to say women don’t, but men are more likely to, apparently, or very few are willing to admit to being raped/molested by a woman.

And the statutory rape, I figure it doesn’t apply because well… if a man goes to bed with an older woman, it’s a mark of pride for men I suppose. The other way around is seen as expoliting a woman who hasn’t fully matured yet.

Kinda like “If a guy sleeps with 50 women, and brags about the 100 he laid, and is jsut a pig, he get spatted on the back and congrats. If a woman does it, she’s a slut.”

Originally posted by StarStorm
And the statutory rape, I figure it doesn’t apply because well… if a man goes to bed with an older woman, it’s a mark of pride for men I suppose. The other way around is seen as expoliting a woman who hasn’t fully matured yet.

Read “On A Pale Horse.” It covers this briefly.

There is a part where Death (the main character) has to visit a twelve year old boy who has been regularly “educated” by his ninteen or so year old babysitter.

And there is a little boy in a town not too far from Oswego where there is a woman who has been having sex with her CHILD since he was a KID. In fact, when he turned around ten or eleven or something (I don’t remember the exact age), they had a kid.

Ehhhhhhh just no. No no no.

shakes head I just gave my thoughts on why, I didn’t say I agreed with it.

Yeah. The thing is, the babysitter (in the book) wasn’t prosecuted, because she “didn’t do anything wrong,” which didn’t sit well with Death, but he couldn’t really do much about it. :stuck_out_tongue:

(EDIT: Its a REALLY minor plot, I’m not spoiling much)

What I’m trying to say is, there is certainly a reason for these laws, and they should be implimented both ways.

EDIT: Another thing about that boy: he constantly humped his mother’s leg in public. Some said that he was living proof of Freudian psychology… but I think its more of proof of environment affecting behavior. He didn’t naturally want to have sex with his mother- he was conditioned that way.

That’s what I mean really. A man’s supposed to be getting laid at an early age, that’s they way our society (especailly among peers in HS)… a 15 yar old having sex with a woman twice his age isn’t as offensive as a 15 year old girl having sex with a 30 year old man. A woman at that age, I suppose, is suppsoed to be “pure” and “innocent”.

But anyways… I’ve never understood that, really. A woman is maligned if she sleeps around. A man is praised if he does (by some anyway). I just don’t see the point of haivng sex with anyone you could…

Edit: Uhhh… I’ll leave the leg-humping to the dogs, thank you very much. What happened to the woman?

Originally posted by StarStorm
Edit: Uhhh… I’ll leave the leg-humping to the dogs, thank you very much. What happened to the woman?

I honestly do not know. That part wasn’t discussed. :stuck_out_tongue:

Rountree: That’s terrifying…
And the sad part is, I don’t feel as shocked about hearing that as I WISH I did.

As for choosing to have sex, I’m going to turn 21 this summer and I’m still a virgin. I have never felt ready/met anyone IRL that I could trust enough. Most of my classmates lost their virginity at 14, and the worst part of all was that they were trying to talk me into doing the same. Hell, I wasn’t even friends with ANY of them >_< Bottom line is that it has to be a free choice, but there should be an age limit because most kids just don’t understand what’s it about.