Vote Kefka! GameFAQs Character Battle

Kefka was insane. So are about nine billion other RPG villians. Kefka had no back story. Same with nine billion other RPG villians. He was stereotypical, sure. However, he was just so crazy that you couldn’t help but love him. He did more evil things in a day than Sephiroth did PERIOD.

However, Sephiroth wins for three reasons:

1. He has cool hair, while Kefka doesn’t.
  2. He has a big sword, while Kefka doesn’t.
  3. He isn’t a transvestite clown angel, which Kefka IS.

But I don’t care for a villain who’s pure evil. To me, a villain is nire based off of his motivation and his intent, and very little off of his actions. And people always seem to forget that Sephiroth burned an entire town to the ground, and slaughtered 60 floors worth of Shinra execs. Also, he was sealed away for years, so he didn’t have the opportunity, time, nor need for senseless killing like Kefka did.

And l-o-s, from knowing you, I believe your reasons for not liking Sephiroth as much, and I can understand it. There are a lot of annoying fanboys who say “Sephy r0x0rz cuz f his jiant sord!!!”

In fact, Val. I’m sorry I have to use you as an example, but this was the best one. From the coolest villain poll:

Kefka: Insane Transvestite Clown Angel who gained the power of a friggin GOD and killed nearly half tohe people in the world and reduced it to a barren wasteland for the most part.
Sephiroth: A pretty-haired bishounen who just wields a big sword and had a big rock try to hit the Earth. Big whoop.

And say Sephiroth’s plan had succeeded. Would he not have killed many people? Would he not have obtained god-like powers? You see, a lot of people just plain don’t want to like Sephiroth for whatever reason. I think it’s nostalgia that people have for the old fashioned games. Maybe they didn’t like FF7 because of the new graphics, or because it was the first FF on a non Nintendo system, but I’m sure some people didn’t give it or Sephiroth a chance.

Originally posted by Jenova’s Witness

And say Sephiroth’s plan had succeeded. Would he not have killed many people? Would he not have obtained god-like powers?

Well, you see, that’s the big clue, right there. With Sephiroth’s plan, you have to ask “What if he had succeeded?” You don’t have to ask “What if Kefka had succeeded?”

Because he DID.

:wink:

pwned

But Kefka was in a better position to carry out his plan. He was part of the empire, with tons of people at his disposal. Sephiroth was working alone, after spending years frozen in a cave.

You can’t say, “Well one succeeded and the other didn’t” because the factors are completely different. Sephiroth was limited by his means of domination. Meteor took a lot of time to get to the Planet. Kefka just up and switched sides.

I don’t want to make a generalization, but most of the FF6 fans I’ve seen seem to have this huge way of oversimplifying everything, like the above quote of Val’s. FF6 has a very simple story, and FF7 doesn’t. Most of the people who started before FF7 try to simplify it like they could FF6, and ruin the game for themselves that way.

EDIT: Just saw Dante’s post. It’s a little much to say I was “pwned”, especially with you not even waiting to hear my reply. It’s total ignorance and mob mentality.

I only simplify things when I’m looking at it from a comical pov, just so you know.

I hate the Gamefaqs battle spammers, I bet we’ll get a few more threads like this.

Originally posted by Valkyrie Esker
I only simplify things when I’m looking at it from a comical pov, just so you know.

I’m sure you do, but you’re not the first to use the whole “he summoned a giant rock” thing that I’ve seen. Again, I was making a generalization, not a specification.

Quite frankly, the reason I think Seph is overrated is just because he’s too damn popular. ANYBODY who’s that popular is overrated, regardless of how cool or deep or interesting he/she is. There’s a limit.

JW’s has a point. Seph was my favorite FF villian probably, but not because of the hype. He had a background and his motives were exposed.It’s probably because FF3 is such an old game, and it didn’t have much dialogue, that Kefka is second to Sephiroth. Kefka didn’t evolve as a character and villain, he just simply…did stuff. He wasn’t even that “insane”, just a bit cliche.

I wouldn’t say Sephiroth is a bishounen boy for a lot of reasons.He was walking the FF7 world in a daze, with a big ass sword on his back mercilessly killing all in his path.(A Midgar Zolom comes to mind). He is searching for his mother the whole time, who is, in fact, not really his mother at all. (That’s kind of creepy) When he did find her body, he dragged the bloody thing up a bunch of staircases in Shinra and actually manages to keep it. Actually I’m a bit fuzzy on those facts, it’s been awhile. But what other villain went and searched for their <b>mother</b>? He was deluded and corrupted and quiet and he had a breaking point, which we saw in flashbacks.He came close to destroying the world. Sure Kefka annihilated a few continents but he didn’t actually destroy the world.I could go on.

Maybe Kekfa wasn’t that great and popular (great, as in mighty, and “everlasting” like Seph was/is) because of the gameplay. FF3 was no way as deep as FF7 and the game never really centered around Kefka. If he had a chance to speak more, and actually had a cause behind his motives, he might’ve overtook Sephiroth. But that’s just me.

Originally posted by Cidolfas
Quite frankly, the reason I think Seph is overrated is just because he’s too damn popular. ANYBODY who’s that popular is overrated, regardless of how cool or deep or interesting he/she is. There’s a limit.

Well that’s the main reason I dislike Kefka. I wouldn’t mind him so much if so many people didn’t think that he was the greatest villain of all time.

And I don’t necessarily think that Sephiroth is so overrated as a character, I think what bugs people is that he’s liked for the wrong reasons, like his appearance. These are things I know a lot of RPG fans couldn’t care less about. I certainly couldn’t.

BTW, so that I could be more informed in this conversation, I finally read about the ending to FF6 (I got far enough through that I knew what was going on. Generally I don’t like spoilers but I’m not sure I care so much about this). It did make Kefka seem cooler in that he was completely devoid of positive emotion, but he’s still WAY too cliche for my tastes. The ending, I thought, seemed rather corny. Give me FF7 any day.