Voice Acting in games.

-It shows Fanatic has never met people like Colette. Fanatic hates the character, not the voice acting.

-I’m not fond of Japanese voices. I know plenty of people that stick to subs over dubs and usually they say its because dubs are awful, which I will admit some are. However, when they aren’t, I like my dubs over my subs. While I usually have a preference for the original, I can only do that with English and French and so Japanese does little to me. Sometimes the voices of characters are realistic, sometimes I find they’re really not. Like I looked at the FFXII trailer and while it looks amazing, the voice of the main hero yelling at some point made me laugh because it so did not fit the profile of the character. Obviously there are other situations.

Oh, I have met people like Collette, and I like them, it’s just that her character and personality seemed fake. Like saccharine. It’s that all she -ever- was was optimistic and cheerful, instead of that she was at all, that really made me angry.

Or maybe I wasn’t paying as much attention as I should’ve. That’s one of my major faults. :frowning: But the way I saw it was that her personality was a little one-sided.

…Maybe there simply are people and characters like that. I don’t know. Thanks for the food for thought, maybe I need to pay more attention.

Back on topic, Skies of Arcadia seriously needed more voice-overs than it got. The battle quotes were very good, but the occasional chuckle, uh-ah (Nope), and “Thank you” in tandem with the text didn’t cut it. From what I could hear, the voices fit the characters, but I can only wonder how it’d have turned out if some scenes had been fully voiced.

Put your Skies of Arcadia Dreamcast disk in a CD player, and you’ll hear a little speech by the cast. It gives you a feeling for what the game would be like if it had a little more voice acting.

If the soundtrack is cool, I don’t care if there is or isn’t voice acting. The only voice acting I really hated was in the Dynasty Warriors games.

Agree. I forgot how good he was:

off topic: Any news a propos your voice reels?

No, as I can’t afford to prepare the packages required to deliver said reels. There’s also the fact that I’ve been forced into going to back university by my parents who loaned me the money on the condition that it not be for voice acting. So I start game design, against my will and better judgment, on the 27th of February.

I’m not particularly fond of voice acting in games. I find it’s usually really annoying… But I suppose it adds some sort of depth to the gameplay. I kind of like giving the characters my own voice though; I don’t do that much anymore but I used to do it a lot when I was younger.

I also prefer dubs over subs - I tend to leave the subtitles on while listening to the dub, though. :smiley: For me, most times it’s more of an “I can’t really get the feeling of what’s being said in Japanese.” Yes, of course I can read it, but I just don’t feel it. I don’t know why I have this problem with Japanese and not another language I don’t understand - maybe it’s because a good bit of it all sounds alike to me. I hate to say that, but oh well.

I hated that so FUCKING MUCH in Icewind Dale that I just deleted all but one member from my party and played it solo. It was worth it to never have to hear that son of a bitch again.

The only voice acting I really hated was in the Dynasty Warriors games.

Oh sweet jesus. I’d forgotten all about that. I need to go drinking and never come back.

We forgot to talk about how good Lunar SSSC and EBC were.

The voice acting in the LUNAR games were one of the best things about the games. The plot was so-so in each game, but the characters were great. I loved hearing each and every one of them, and grew to love them all. Well, not Alex, he was too 2-D for my tastes, but the rest were great.

Agreed, they had great acting. And the blooper reel was hilarious too. 8p
Shame about the actual gameplay. >_>

Icewind Dale solo!? Man, Yxunomei and the lower levels of Dorn’s Deep must have been a bitch. What class where you?

By the way, the Baldur’s Gate II mod community cam up with a patch specifically to get rid of that voice :stuck_out_tongue:

Even I can find within me no criticism for the voice-acting in the Lunar series.

… Mitch Pileggi (Skinner, X-Files, y’know?) as Dak’kon in Planescape: Torment. What limited voices that game had, they sure hit the spot.

Doug Lee as Indiana Jones in Fate of Atlantis. That was one helluva good job there.

Geez, haven’t you guys played PC games that are worth mentioning? :confused:

__

Also, Scott Menville, Robin |=| Lloyd. It still causes me a headache at times. RAINING TIGER BLADE.

Well if we’ll talk PC games, let’s talk Blizzard :P.

Give me dubs any day, if there’s voice acting I prefer to be able to listen to it rather than have to read it. Probably why Shenmue 2 grated so much.

Ah, Shenmue, now THERE was a lead character whose voice ran the gamut from ‘android’ to ‘confused android’. For such a high production budget, you’d have thought better voice actors could have come in somewhere in the budget. The only good one I can think of is the actor who played Gui Zhang and, for what little we heard of them, Iwao and Lan Di. Ryo was alright but after hearing “I see” for the millionth fucking time I’d nearly lost the will to live.

Planescape’s voices were really good, which only makes me even sadder when I think of how little they were used. Every one of them fit their characters like gloves, especially Dak’kon and Fall From Grace.

Damn, now I wanna play PS:T again.

Oh, and even though none of you ever heard them, the spanish versions of Monkey Island 3 and Grim Fandango were absolutely magnificent. Murray is right up there with Morte on the “funniest disembodied skull ever” list.

I’m ashamed that I forgot Lunar. :expressionless: No complaints there, and the villain just sounded sooo evil in SSSC!

I think all games would be 50,000% better if they had voice acting bloopers at the end like in LUNAR. THose things are comedy gold.

“Sometimes you need to know when to walk away…AND KNOW WHEN TO RUN!!” Ahh, Ronfar. Thou makest me giggle.