Video game given R rating in Ontario

http://www.canada.com/search/story.html?id=0cad89d3-5eaa-471d-bc4c-ce04a27a9684

This is just so silly… why on earth would you bring in a movie ratings board to rate a video game? There already is a ratings board for games in the US. If you’re that concerned about it, make one for Canada. Or even better, just say that ESRB ratings will be enforceable in Canada, and see if more parents will start actually looking at the games they buy, and more employees will demand ID, when they or their employers start getting slapped with ginormous fines.

Games are slowly starting to get more serious (the National Post just started a weekly video game page). Eventually people are going to wake up to the fact that they’re just as good a medium as TV or movies, and we’re going to have to treat it as such.

That day may be sooner than you think, Cid. According to a recent GameSpot article, PS2 playing is beating out primetime TV ratings. More people would rather journey through Spira than watch sitcoms, it seems.

Any under-age person who buys or rents the game now risks a maximum fine of $25,000 or up to one year in prison.

That’s ridiculous. I say it should be left up to the parent and the child to decide what the child can play. The first video game I ever played in my life was Mortal Kombat at a department store, and I haven’t killed anyone yet just here “FINISH HIM! FATALITY!” Watching an episode of Friends is more hazardous to your health than Manhunt, IMO.

Mwahaha, I bought it before it went R RAted! Haha, nothing you can do to me!

Originally posted by Dalton Of Zeal
That day may be sooner than you think, Cid. According to a recent GameSpot article, PS2 playing is beating out primetime TV ratings. More people would rather journey through Spira than watch sitcoms, it seems.

Sounds good to me. :moogle:

sit … commsz ? what’s that :stuck_out_tongue:

And society continues to further progress its stupidity.

Originally posted by RedComet
That’s ridiculous. I say it should be left up to the parent and the child to decide what the child can play.

You are misreading it RC. The kid can still get it if their parents agree. If the parents are fine with their kid playing Manhunt, then they can get it for their kid or the kid can give the money to their parents. Basically, it just makes sure that the parents know if the kid is getting the game and controls it.

Then the parents sue Rockstar for creating violent videogames, and receive a huge cash settlement that they don’t deserve. If parents would spend less time shooting up, and more time taking care of their children and teaching them right from wrong, this kind of thing wouldn’t happen.

It’s hard trying to take care of kids, you cant always watch them and protect them. They will find these games and play them cause their friends have them. Yes parents should be able to control what their kid does and such, but maybe they just don’t have time.

That game sucked anyway.

Games should be given ratings. But it should be up to parents to decide what the brats can play. Anything else would just be offwriting of responsibility.

I can see why this has been done though. Parents love to not pay attention, not care, and to write off responsibility. A lot won’t start paying attention and care until it hurts the wallet to do otherwise.

Wait… why not just give it a ‘M’ rating?

Because, if I’m not mistaken, we’re talking about canada here (judging from the site name). The ESRB is only american, as far as I know. At least, I know it doesn’t exist in some countries.

Originally posted by Xelopheris
Mwahaha, I bought it before it went R RAted! Haha, nothing you can do to me!
You could have bought it anyway, R restricts to people under the age of 17. Unless you have some crappy Canadian law that says differently.

Not like it matters to me, I’m legal.

R = 18

Okay, so I just got back from work, and apparently nobody in Electronics new about it yet. We sold 6 copies today. We’re fucked.

R = 18

R means you can see it at age 18, not that you can’t see it until you’re 19. =p

[b]R = 18

Okay, so I just got back from work, and apparently nobody in Electronics new about it yet. We sold 6 copies today. We’re fucked. [/b]
MPA/MPAA Movie Ratings.

That sounds delightful. One of the little brats was probably on a police payroll and your store is going to be raided by a SWAT team soon.

Of course, this is Canada, so it might be the mounted police…

Originally posted by Cybercompost
R means you can see it at age 18, not that you can’t see it until you’re 19. =p
Yeah, and when did I ever say that?