Vampire Day

It’s official now. On October 1, the house of representatives of São Paulo approved a new law that makes August 13 a municipal holyday. It’s the Vampire day. The representative responsible for this law says it’s “a humorous, yet serious law”.

It’s not about having a pseudo-haloween whennobody works or goes to school. The idea is having people to donate blood to hemocenters. There is some prejudice about blood donation that keeps people away from these centers - and when someone gets seriously hurt and needs a transfusion, they may be in trouble because the blood stocks are always low. It’s a live example of how urban legends may be destructive, specially among layspeople: a lot believe that if you donor blood once, you’ll have to donate it again in a monthly basis or you’ll get serious blood or blood related diseases (leukemia and all that). Many also believe that they can’t donor blood because they think only athletes may do it.

The original idea came from an actress called Mariliz Marins. She’s the daughter of Coffin Joe. I think some of you know who the man is. The idea eventually reached the house of representatives. Jose Laurindo (remember this name, if this idea catches on throughout the world he’s the one to thank) said in an interview that he had seen laws creating the “donor day” a lot of times, municipally, “statly” (I don’t know the word for things concerning states >_<) and federally but the holydays would never catch on so these laws were all cancelled after some time. Now, with all the vampire stuff, he expects to call a lot of attention. Further on it, there are superstitions about August and superstitions about number 13. That’s the reason for it being on August 13.

There will be a few attractions like gothic-themed parties - I’m eager to see the reaction of gothics - , debates, theatrical performances in public places and all the etc. that would make a small festival. All these things will keep the focus on blood donation, and I think people who give a little blood to those in need of it might get some benefit like the right to spend 2 days without having to go to work, or they would be given stuff like t-shirts and those sets of teeth that come with vampiric canines.

Mariliz created a vampire character for theater plays some years ago. Lizvamp is a good-aligned vampress, and has promised to take active roles in the campaigns for blood donation that will take place on every Vampire Day.

-CS Ren is a reporter wannabe who unfortunately could find no source in English for these news, so instead of posting an easy link he had to type all these 2634 characters.

Watch all the “real vampires” come forth and proclaim vampire day to have nothing to do with giving blood, but in actual fact it’s to celebrate their heritage :open_mouth:

You know some loonies will come forth and think that. Silly vampire wannbes. But good intention, though in Canada they’d call it Red Cross day or something if it isn’t official

Originally posted by Evangelion
[b]Watch all the “real vampires” come forth and proclaim vampire day to have nothing to do with giving blood, but in actual fact it’s to celebrate their heritage :open_mouth:

You know some loonies will come forth and think that. Silly vampire wannbes. But good intention, though in Canada they’d call it Red Cross day or something if it isn’t official [/b]

There is absolutely nothing wrong with “real vampires” and I’d be hard pressed to call them any crazier than any of us.

yeah people who are prone to violent outbursts because they believe they are superior and “special” and 2000 years old. Yeah they sound healthy and friendly to me.

If you caught unscrewed on monday night you would see that these people have some serious issues. But i really doubt they are a threat to anyone so let em do what they want. I guess thats rhetoric though.

I doubt all self-proclaimed vampires are as violent as you think.

yeah people who are prone to violent outbursts because they believe they are superior and “special” and 2000 years old. Yeah they sound healthy and friendly to me.

Well, a lot of “real” vampires AREN’T prone to violent outbursts… a LOT of them.

Cool.

Yet it’ll be annoying as every single kid in the city runs around with a cape and plastic teeth and saying ‘Bwah, Bwah’.

Originally posted by Cybercompost
Well, a lot of “real” vampires AREN’T prone to violent outbursts… a LOT of them.

Oooh I know that. A lot of people who consider themselves vampires are just downright cool. Just the ones who believe they control society and giving out threats and orders (sigh don’t ask-stumbled upon very bad website awhile ago) for their own benefit really <i>bug</i> me. For example, I do not regard “not looking a true vampire in the eye” as “proper vampire manners”.

Sorry, rant over. Point being people like that are funny. Especially when sucking blood isn’t good for your health.

Ever heard of the silent majority? >.>

http://www.believeyourbeliefs.com/undead.html

Vampire lore is cool, people who think they are vampires are not.

I’m gonna act like that article <b>wasn’t</b> laden with stupidity, and just agree with you a tiny bit.

Originally posted by Steve
I’m gonna act like that article <b>wasn’t</b> laden by stupidity, and just agree with you a tiny bit.

…only I disagree, completely. :stuck_out_tongue:

http://reapersofblood.org/entrance1.html

Knock yourself out

I agreed with the lore being cool. :stuck_out_tongue:

[b]http://reapersofblood.org/entrance1.html

Knock yourself out [/b]

That’s like linking to that one guy that makes the religious pamphlets and saying he represents all christians.

Edit: Bah, fuck, forgot to just copy the quote. Sorry for the double post. Delete this!

Originally posted by Steve
[b]I agreed with the lore being cool. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s like linking to that one guy that makes the religious pamphlets and saying he represents all christians. [/b]

Yeah but I disagree with both then, in that sense. Both concepts are horribly ridiculous but I guess both believe they are doing what’s right.

Though I can’t determine if that vamp side is based on the sole fact that modern vampires do exist. I mean, of course they do, but I’m wondering if that site is for people wanting to explore the fantasy of it or if they do believe they harbour a beast within themselves, or if they have an intense lust for blood or good night vision that they’re a mutant of mother nature and therefore a being originally from mythology. It’s quite funny, but quite sad if you ask me.

Though the same can be said about Christians thinking themselves to be superior over non believers so it works both ways. I guess my surprise and distaste for “vampyrism” just sprang forth from reading on this disgusting site.

[b]http://reapersofblood.org/entrance1.html

Knock yourself out [/b]

Read the disclaimer.

Yes, I’ve read it before, but that wont stop me from commenting on it. I suppose my arguement is as valid as yours with the “Remove the Under God from the Pledge and I’ll be fine”.
I’m not blaming anyone nor being judgemental, I’m just viewing with common sense.

Are faithful people always considered religious? No.
Are people who are sensitive to sunlight always considered creatures of the night? No.

A lot of what they have posted is common human nature and it’s basically alienation, regardless of what they post being serious or not.

They want people to donate blood and go call it Vampire Day? Yay for positive reinforcement!

As for modern vampires, I’m quite content with what I read on that page by Razor the Tormented, thank you muchly, no more for me.