Vagrant Story

Prostasia is a spell, it’s the one that increases the power of your equipment. You should have it already.

You’re 4 hours in.

This thread is about 12 hours old.

Five damage or zero damage, it doesn’t really matter if you learn to chain. For every successful chain hit, the damage dealt will increase a little until the chain is broken. The best thing is to try to combine two attacks that use similar movements, that means you’ll be learning when to hit the button (since you can’t use the same attack twice in a row while chaining).

If you build up your weapon by hitting the dolls (there are more than the human one, there’s one for each class) - DON’T chain. A chain counts as one hit only, and will raise the stats as such. Just hit without chaining, it’s more efficient to level weapons that way. However, if you want to destroy the doll - and it’s a good idea to do so a few times, you get some healing stuff for it - then you should chain. The doll will respawn if you back a few rooms and come back.

God I love this game pets Sydney You should’ve heard me and Jing screaming bloody murder at the plot towards the end. It’s heartwrenching.

oh wait yeah i got that spell

TD, y’know, humans require sleep.

You were actually talking for 3 of them.

Yeah, so anyway, just try again with Prostasia and Chain Abilities. You can restart if you want, but I remember that I didn’t bother to build up my weapons properly at all when I fought Duane, and I still had much less trouble with him than with the Dragon, so I don’t think it’s necessary to go back to the beginning. In general, Prostasia is necessary for practically every single boss fight in the game.

By the way, you can kill the dummies, they just have 999 HP. If you deplete this HP, you sometimes get Elixirs.

Some random advice:

I’m pretty sure you should have gotten a Rapier already. Even though it’s a Sword, it’s a Piercing weapon so you should train it against Dragons (the lizardmen back down are Dragon-types) and then forge it into a Spear when you get the chance. I’m saying this because there’s a bigass Dragon-type enemy after Duane that will kick your ass if you are not prepared.

Pick a sequence of Chain Abilities (The ones you use to combo) and use them over and over until chaining them is as natural to you as breathing. I mean it, pulling huge-ass chains is one of the few resources you have against most bosses and the accuracy is calculated according to the RISK you had when you dealt the first hit. So no matter if you chain twenty hits together, if you started with 0 RISK, the twentieth, thirtieth or hundredth will have the same accuracy as the first, even if your RISK reaches 100%. Also, another good reason to stick with only three types of weapons is that you’ll get used to chaining faster.

My chains were always a succession of Heavy Shot + Gain Life/Gain Magic, or Heavy Shot + Mind Assault.

Heavy Shot is indispensable because it deals 70% of the damage dealt thus far, so even if you deal 0 damage in the first four or five hits, the invisible decimals will pile up until Heavy Shot starts dealing 1 point of damage, which will pile up and eventually deal 2, then 3, then 4, etc. If you couple that with a weapon that actually deals some damage worth shit (Say, 10) from the start, you can imagine how much it can escalate.

The secondary Chain Ability is there only because you can’t use the same technique twice in a row. Gain Life and Gain Magic restore a bit of HP and MP (Which you’ll ONLY use for stat boosting and healing). Mind Assault drains the enemy’s MP, which is very useful against magical enemies like Ghosts.

Save before using the wines and other permanent stat-boosting items. Considering how the roulette can screw you over by not giving you a STR boost in like forever (It just kept pumping my HP >:/), you’ll want to get a 4 STR bonus instead of a measly 1.