Ulysses by James Joyce

I’ve read a few chapters of this for my litterature science. And my brain is coming out through my ears. My question is, can anybody who’s better at interpreting really WEIRD stuff explain to me WHAT the HECK is going on in this thing? O_o

Sorry, the only Joyce book that I’ve read is Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man. I haven’t read Ulysses. Do you think I should?

From what I’ve heard, Joyce wrote Ulyssees with the intent that you need to be extremely intelligent to understand it. Needless to say, I’m not even going to try (understanding literature never was my strong point).

Originally posted by Ivan
Sorry, the only Joyce book that I’ve read is Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man. I haven’t read Ulysses. Do you think I should?

That’s a big NO. Worst crap I’ve ever read O_o

Originally posted by demigod
From what I’ve heard, Joyce wrote Ulyssees with the intent that you need to be extremely intelligent to understand it.

Ah, I see then, the rest of us are idiots… sheez, “great” authors… I’d try to translate a bit, but I think I value my sanity a bit more :stuck_out_tongue:

Joyce books are notoriously difficult to understand. Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man is an interesting piece of work, but I didn’t understand heads or tails of it.

Portrait seemed to me to be about someone who would paint himself unusual mental imagery, and then try to make sense of it. Thus, the not understanding bit seems to be built into the story.

I reread the book more recently. When I did, it was like a completely different (and much less deep) book. It looked more like the story of a boy that would employ his imagination to exist apart from authority and structure.