Tonight, I fermented my own alcohol

200 proof ethyl alcohol used in research will make you go blind. Or you could get the cheaper (very cheap even) 190 proof they sell in 5 gallon drums.

Zep wins the prize for the funny. And yes, your room will smell like yeast.

A thread of scientific interest that appeals to me? Excellent!

For Sin - we go through so much 200 proof ethanol at work, it’s not even funny. It is a little funny, in a cheesy way, when someone has a bottle of Everclear in the reagent cabinet.

When we work with controlled drugs, we have to work in teams of at least two and keep the drugs in open view at all times (just can’t sneak a thing, can we?) until the drug is in a non-consumable form. For everything I’ve worked with so far, we just put it in methanol. Not worth going blind to get high, I guess!

For zepp - I’m very excited to see how this experiment concludes. On a separate note, is that your underwear for posing and being proud?

Hope it turns out good, if its not too nasty, ill try it myself, lol.

I remember when I fermented some grapes in my Biology class. Not to say that’s as cool as this.

Haha… funny story about that, but when my Dad bottled it… he put it in his wardrobe…
Hah!

Ninten:cool:

Whoa! What sort of controlled drugs have you worked with? I’m just kind of curious, but I’m not sure if you’re allowed to say or not. But in any case I’d imagine it’s a lot of stimulents and research chemicals.

I love you, Zepp.

If this shit tastes at least semi-good, I know what I’ll be doing next month. >_>

My brother has some friends that bought a beer making kit. It took like 30 days to make and when they tried it they all got sick because of how bad it tasted. Hope the same thing doesn’t happen to you.

Oh poo… I was beat to it :frowning:

try making homemade whisky… that can kill ya. >.>

Fuck that, he’s a man’s man with all that hair. He’s the kind of guy that puts on a kilt, grabs a huge ass fuck sword, and attacks Britain from the North. All while drinking his own home distilled alcohol. Soon his muscles will begin to bulge out of his skin and he’ll develop a thick tough-guy accent, thus completing his transformation into 100% man.

hahah this thread reminds me of when my dad told me about how he used to make his own beer in his basement. He said he didn’t drink much of it, but his friends apparently really liked it.

Don’t you love confidentiality agreements? :smiley:
We have DEA licenses to work with compounds in every controlled category. Also, depending upon the drug in question, extra clearance for individuals involving more forms and background checks is required. It’s really not all that it’s cracked up to be, though - it requires twice as much paperwork and twice as many people, the lab work’s audited to hell and back, and reconciliation inspections to be sure nothing’s missing are just wild. It’s fun to charge extra for the effort, though.

Interesting. I’m assuming the excessive security involved has a bit to do with America’s stance on drugs, or the DEA’s for that matter. But I’m sure it’s also because a lot of controlled drugs are dangerous, especially if misused. I’m kind of jealous that you get to deal with so many high class drugs(hahah), but at the same time I’m not because like you said it’s not all cracked up to be, or something. That cracked up phrase totally just lost all meaning to me just now.

Neat but meh. It’s probably nothing to a bottle of heimebrent.

Before I die there always was an anonymous dream of mine: to make my own alchohol.
You sir can now die happy