Thinking Topic: EVERYTHING is popular in Japan

You konw. You start reading the anime mags. The most biased thing they say. “ITS POPULAR IN JAPAN!” Or animenfo reviews. “IT WAS BASED OFF THE POPULAR ROMANCE GAME!”

Think how many shows were “popular in japan” this year. There was Rahxephon, Read or Die, Onegai Teacher, Mahoromatic, Furi Kuri, One Piece Naruto, Spirited Away, Beyblade, Kirby, Chobits, Gudnam Seed, hak sign, azumanga, just to name a FEW. Eveyrhthing is popular in Japan.

But lets think. This one dudes site said spirited away was the most highest rating thing on tv in jpana, and ONLY 40% OF THE PEOPLE SAW IT when it came on!

And the supposedly popular Love Hina, only 4% of the people. 4 PERCENT. DUDE

If you think about it, NOTHING is popular in japan. Thers just a lot of people to see the stuff. And a lot of anime makes money. Right?

Wghat do you think?

You have to factor in Japan’s population, and the population of the ANIME FANS. For example, they might have meant 4% of anime fans have tuned in to Love Hina or whatever. They wont come out and say that though, but if you think about it, that’s a good chunk of viewers.

You also have to think about just when all of this was actually released/re leased. not all of what you listed just came out in 2003, and a lot of those shows didn’t last very long, meaning they were short running series giving fans a lot of time to finish up one anime and jump to another.

Everyone remember the dreaded American Idol? Well didn’t the series finale debut as the top rated show on FOX? About 29 million people tuned into it…America’s population is what, roughly 300 million? 29 mill isn’t even 40% and that was one of the HIGHEST AIRING EPS.

Japan’s population is somewhere around 130 mil (this is a guestimate, but I know it’s up there somewhere) so nearly half of that number is pretty frigging good. Spirited Away is popular so no doubt people saw it more than once, or it aired more than once, that 40% doesn’t account for just one showing, but if you really think about it that’s a hella LOT.

Stuff like this gets exagerrated anyways. if they’re released on DVD in North America, they’re popular. Think of it that way.

Originally posted by Evangelion

Stuff like this gets exagerrated anyways. if they’re released on DVD in North America, they’re popular. Think of it that way.

Not necessarily true. Alot of animes get sent to america because the marketers hope to find fans they couldnt get in japan.

you should also factor in the fact that japan is insane.

Insane? I dont know. I think their ideas for anime are usually pretty typical. Outside of GAinax

For instance, everything GONZO churns out is pretty much cookie cutter

Any nation that can put out so many things with tentacle rape incorporated into them is instantly insane.

Tentacle rape sounds normal to me

40% of ~160 mil is an enormous number of viewers.

rEAlly? But still like less than half the people see it. Yet everyoen says that all Japanese people saw it.

But if you think in america when the president made teh 9/11 speech, EVERY single person saw it

And whats even more inane is when they made a big deal about how EVERY signle american saw Gundam wing awhile back. But the truth is only 1% of the Americans saw it. And barely anywone knows what a Gundam is in America. Thats unnaceptable considering EVERY Japanese person knows what a gundam is.

Who cares about percentage. It’s only a number, it doesn’t control had good or bad an anime is. Or how many people actually like it.

Besides there were probably more people who saw, and the people who worked it out, were just inaccurate.

Originally posted by Mew64
Tentacle rape sounds normal to me

SEEK MENTAL HELP. ::dekar!::

Originally posted by Mew64
But if you think in america when the president made teh 9/11 speech, EVERY single person saw it

I didn’t ;p But i dislike the president and the media.

Everything is popular somewhere, and with someone.

Japan just happens to have a whole lot of people.