There's war in Iraq, famine in Africa, but this is what occupies parliament's time...

clicka -I couldn’t believe it when I read this article- I never knew so many (important) people cared enough to make a genuine appeal to the Commons :mwahaha: Still, if it works (yes, it is my favourite TV show, incidentally :wink: )

Wow, that’s pretty sad.

You just gotta love the media, news television and parliament. Or dislike it intensely, such as I do. That’s why I quit watching stuff like Access Hollywood, I just didn’t really care if Jen and Ben are going to seperate or not :stuck_out_tongue: Far more important things out there.

Reminds me of Will Farrell’s inane questions in the SNL version of the British Parliament. But still, that is sad that it actually comes up.

Michael Shersby: [ seemingly distracted ] How can… the Prime minister… support a law… that makes it illegal for people… who… [ gets to the real point he’s been fidgeting with ] …What I’m trying to say is… Oasis rules!

Betty Boothroyd: [ sternly ] Mr. Shersby!! You’ve been warned seven times this month to stop bringing up Oasis!

Michael Shersby: But is not Oasis the greatest British band since the Beatles? Can we not vote on this?!

Ahh, I loved that skit.

But, yeah. Shallowness should be the domain of the half-hour OMG GOSSIP shows every network feels compelled to have. When government starts trotting out the trivial crap like that, it’s getting to be a bit much.

:fungah:

The populace treats entertainment as a basic necessity.

Originally posted by Sir Percival
[b]:fungah:

The populace treats entertainment as a basic necessity. [/b]

It is. If they aren’t distracted by it, they’ll use their time doing bad things.

Entertainment is a drug, and most people are addicted to it. Remove that drug, and they will be crawling in the mud, begging. nod, nod

Sadly, it is pretty much true. Television has become a drug to a lot of people, and because of that the Parliament has to put, in the whole, irrelevant things like this on the programme.

By the bright side, distraction caused by TV is good for birth control.

Think of a couple that has nothing to do and is just watching their favorite soap opera/soccer game/cooking program/whatever. Take their TV out, and what are they gon’na do? Babies.

Pretty sad that TV has become that important.

Originally posted by Ren
[b]By the bright side, distraction caused by TV is good for birth control.

Think of a couple that has nothing to do and is just watching their favorite soap opera/soccer game/cooking program/whatever. Take their TV out, and what are they gon’na do? Babies. [/b]

Haha you have got to be kidding:ah-ha!: What do you think people did back in them old days? They didn’t have sex constantly, silly. Other things can keep people occupied.

EDIT:However you’re right distraction caused by tv is good for birth control…it promotes birth control and I feel it has but there are plenty of other…programs that deny those little messages.

Originally posted by Ren
[b]By the bright side, distraction caused by TV is good for birth control.

Think of a couple that has nothing to do and is just watching their favorite soap opera/soccer game/cooking program/whatever. Take their TV out, and what are they gon’na do? Babies. [/b]

If they’re distracted from making out by a soap opera, or god forbid, a sitcom, I’d say the couples’ problem is not that there’s something to watch on tv. =P

Keep the plebians satiated and anesthetized with the bread and circuses…

Yeah, that was a great series of SNL skits. But it’s kinda sad when truth imitates fiction.

Originally posted by Evangelion
Haha you have got to be kidding:ah-ha!: What do you think people did back in them old days? They didn’t have sex constantly, silly. Other things can keep people occupied.

In medieval times it was common to see people with more than 10 children. And most plebians didn’t live to their 30’s. So…

Okay, a practical example will show my ideas better. My great-grandparents had 13 children. My grandparents, who lived in the radio era, had 9. My parents, who lived in the TV era, had only me. See?

Originally posted by Ren
[b]In medieval times it was common to see people with more than 10 children. And most plebians didn’t live to their 30’s. So…

Okay, a practical example will show my ideas better. My great-grandparents had 13 children. My grandparents, who lived in the radio era, had 9. My parents, who lived in the TV era, had only me. See? [/b]

Having lots of children in medieval times wasn’t for want of children. They had lots of kids because they needed them to work. Also, the infant mortality rate was significantly higher. My parents both also came from large families (9 and 6 kids), whereas I am one of 3. However, I disagree with the reasoning that television by itself is such a significant factor. It is part of the whole of a higher standard of living; it costs more to raise a child these days, or maybe more accurately, people are willing to spend more for each individual child.

Originally posted by Ren
[b]In medieval times it was common to see people with more than 10 children. And most plebians didn’t live to their 30’s. So…

Okay, a practical example will show my ideas better. My great-grandparents had 13 children. My grandparents, who lived in the radio era, had 9. My parents, who lived in the TV era, had only me. See? [/b]

I knew you were going to make that point, but they had other duties as well. Plus there wasn’t much to do in those days but <b>survive</b> so sex didn’t occupy their time a lot. 13 kids is only having sex 13 times, provided we’re not factoring in any freaky-deeky forms of birth control available at the time and so that’s not a lot of times.

Sad thing is, it isn’t even the first time it’s happened- when a soap character was wrongly imprisoned a few years back, it almost made Prime Minister’s Question Time :-/

Demi & Eva: I was just joking, you know…

Shh quiet you! I have no sense of humour as of late.

Do you seriously think that we’re going to adapt how we post just because one person, who I haven’t heard talking about said problem at all, does not have a sense of humor?