The Tower of Druaga

Name brings back memories? It’s also one of the running series this season, set about 80 years after Gil rescued Ki, making it a direct sequel of the game. It also happens to be fairly entertaining.

Essentially, years after Gil’s adventure and his crowning as king, the tower reappeared. A settler town was built on its base and it became a hot spot for treasure hunters and adventurers seeking the tower’s loot and the honor of being the first one to reach the top and claim the crystal rod that supposedly would bring glory and prosperity to the country. Though most are only after the loot.

In that setting, Jill, a newbie Guardian (the Tank) tries to assemble a party and begins the climb. The other party members end up being Kaaya (The healer), who seems to be related to Ki somehow, the warrior Ahmey, the jackass black mage Melt and his servant Coopa. They are sorta eclipsed by Jill’s much more experienced brother Neeba and his fairly more effective band.

The whole thing shifts back and forth between a serious medieval-fantasy story and a blatant parody of typical RPG and MMORPG clichés, so far as to have Jill stand in the middle of a crowd shouting around to get party members. It also has the typical stuff found in Namco’s games, including monsters and… sprite animations. You’ll see what I mean.

All in all, it’s looking pretty good. Bad news is that it’s a GONZO show, so that makes the odds of a shitty rushed ending pretty high. I’m hoping for a Seto no hanayome miracle though.

One word: The first chapter is VERY misleading, make sure you watch it whole.

i like it my favorite episode so far is the one with all the traps and stuff.

This whole entire series is made of win imo!

Been enjoying the series as well so far especially episodes 1, 5, and 8. However, I’m still not really impressed with the main story (probably since I don’t really like Jil that much). Too bad there’s only two more episodes left I’d really like to see more non-Jil character development.

And though I haven’t seen most of episode 11 yet if it keeps up at the pace it’s going I have a feeling that I’m going to be left very disappointed. At the very least I can only hope that most of the cast doesn’t get wiped out in the next two episodes. I’ve pretty much resigned myself to the fact that there’s going to be a [STRIKE]Naruto vs. Sasuke[/STRIKE] Jil vs. Neeba showdown by the end of this.

Edit: Not as bad as I thought. Still have one more episode before we’re safe though.

Damn you Gonzo, damn you. I gotta give it to them, they managed to turn ana ncient dungeon crawler into a pretty interesting story. I guess we’ll wait then.

I’m sorry but our Blue Crystal Rod is in another tower for the lol.

It’s not the ending I was expecting, but at least it doesn’t feel rushed. In fact it’s probably one of the best ways they could’ve ended the season (rather than cramming it all in FMA style), and even helps to explain some of the things that I felt needed explaining (like the opening credits and what it was that was being advertised in them).

Also…

(editting due to the overly the fanboyish comment) This is one of the better anime I’ve seen recently. (it still has a chance to screw up but I still find it made of win).

Admittedly I will be significantly less pleased with these developments if this is continued in the form of an MMORPG.

Yes. I’m necroposting. However the second season is over (and thank god it wasn’t an MMO like I initially feared).

Ending verdict: [SPOILER]Not too thrilled with it, but since this is a Gonzo anime it’s probably the best we could’ve hoped for.

IMHO I feel that the plot should’ve ended in episode 11 and the last episode was spent tying up loose ends with the characters (plus being cute with them) instead of just allowing only 7-9 mins of characters and the rest giving us a Weapons Platform to God (I guess they were trying to give us a Tower of Babel metaphor or something but it was still rather ridiculous). As for the final battle I TOTALLY called it! (Though I still think the previous one was the better fight.)[/SPOILER]

Now looking forward to Valkyria Chronicles and FMA Redux.

Edit: Apparently, I also somehow managed to call the F***in’ MMO as well (though it’s not the second season). >:(