The RPGC Universe

It would be cool if there were other types of games too, a lot of them have good stories and…stuff, that you could probably use. Points to her first suggestion.

There are some cool new races in FinalFantasy XII, might want to look into including them somewhere, too.

Ah, Wilfredo… your mind is quite a gateway, I must say. Reading this is really making me think.

I hope to read more… or, I will do some other cheesey threat.

Ah, that is no wonder; I have never played FFTA. As far as I know, there is no real place named Saint Ivalice, although you could easily create one. The name sounds French or possibly Italian.

I am not terribly familiar with Valkyrie Profile, but I have also thought the setting a different world. Nevertheless, other than the Norse Mythology, here are some other aspects of the game that seem to have links with things in our world.

There is a place in the game called Salerno Academy. Salerno is a real city in south-western Italy and has had a famous medical school since the ninth century (CE), which eventually grew into a university in the later Middle Ages.

There is also a place called Arianrod Labyrinth, which is probably named after Arianhrod, a character in the Mabinogion, although as far as I know there is no place in the real Wales or elsewhere in the Celtic world with that name. The character Arianhrod has no relation to a maze or labyrinth, either.

There is a sword in the game called the Walloon sword (I believe that some other games have a sword of the same name), which I suppose purports to be from, or of the style of swordsmithing from, the French-speaking parts of Belgium. As far as I know, this part of (present-day) Belgium was not well-known for swords in the Middle Ages.

The Tombs of Amenti are perhaps named after Amenut, a goddess from Egyptian mythology. I do not know of any Egyptian archaeological site directly related to her, although she does appear inscribed on sarcophagi and in tombs, since she was supposed to provide comfort and welcome for the newly dead in the underworld. I believe there was a tree in Heliopolis associated with her, but whether there are nearby related tombs I do not know.

Except for Salerno Academy, I should say that everything else is quite a stretch, and I still think that the game takes place in another world.

eats the cheesy treat Yum! :stuck_out_tongue:

But seriously, thanks for the flattery, PC. Btw sorry I wasn’t online on Xmas Eve like I said I was going to be, I ended up feeling too weak. (I’m better now.)

Val and Percival: Thanks, you’ve helped me decide about Valkyrie Profile. Without clear evidence (just names are not enough; after all, we see references to things like Excalibur or Masamune in lots of games) I cannot set it on Earth. But remember, this is a multiverse, so even if it takes place on another world (“Midgard?”) we can still do crossovers. Specially since the main characters in the game are gods and demigods, crossing dimensions should not be too unusual to them.

As for Saint Ivalice, the impression I have it’s that it’s supposed to be a small (fictional) American town, but it could also be located in any other modern country, I guess. Again, I 'm researching the game to decide, will let you know when I do.

If you do decide to include other games, then some time in the future (or a paralell earth), I think it’d be awesome if you could include the Half Life series. Seriously.

Also, this is a pretty cool idea just as it is Wil. :slight_smile:

I am glad that I could be of help to you! :ark:

I suppose that you might also include the main characters from Secret of Evermore in your principal Earth setting, even though Evermore itself is a separate world. The hero’s dog is probably dead by now, though, unless something extraordinary has happened.

You mean like, enter a comptetely different world where people from our world didn;t seem to age? I think one could justifyt a few lingerign side effects then, if you want…

If it’s already been mentioned ignore it, but what about games with multiple endings/paths?

The general rule of thumb with multiple endings and stories is go with the one that seems the most major of them. The ending people are msot likely to get, is what you go with. Except when your vision of the story requires otherwise. but only if what you use can still be cosndiered canon.

Percival: Secret of Evermore is indeed connected to my Earth, but since it really takes place on Evermore I decided not to list it; I may do so now. Oh, and don’t worry, if we want to use the dog, we’ll find some way to do so. (Fantasy rules!! :wink: )

Video: That is a good point. Personally, I go with either a) an ending that has been defined as “official” (Example: Shadow Hearts II assumed that the Bad Ending of the first Shadow Hearts was the one that happened) or b) the Best ending- because that usually means most of the characters survive and can be used again. Plus I’m a sucker for happy endings. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

OK, my next section of the article (which is about the games that do not take place on Earth) should be ready soon (remember, you people can make suggestions if you wish!) Wait for it!

Suggestions…uhhh, the Jak or Ratchet games? Those are pretty not-on-earth-ish. (Still stand by my previous suggestion though. :slight_smile: )

OK, continuing the Article:

OTHER WORLDS:

With the exception of those games set on Earth, each RPG takes place on its own planet, usually located in another dimension. There are three types of such worlds:

Parallel Earths: These are virtual duplicates of Earth, with the same countries and people, except for some important deviation (the Nazis might have won WWII, for example.) Why parallels exist is a mystery; some may have been created by time travelers tampering with reality. Note that some Alien and Average Worlds also have their own Parallels! (To accommodate different versions of a game, like Wild Arms Code F).

Alien Worlds: These planets are different from Earth, however the difference might be just that a race other than humans dominates it. Others feature markedly different lifeforms and/or forces.

Average World: This is the typical RPG world. They are not Earth parallels in that the countries, people and history are different, but they are usually inhabited by human beings (though other intelligent races may share the planet) and the cultures are usually very similar to Earth’s (mostly Medieval European, but also Modern American , Feudal Japanese, or others; more than one culture may exist.) Magic is usually known to exist openly (though usually only the gifted can use it.) Monsters roam freely in almost all of them, requiring heroes to keep civilized areas safe. Some have advanced technology (even if anachronical.) Every one of these worlds has something that is unique to it, be it a form of magic, technology, lifeforms, or social situations.

Notes on Interdimensional Travel:

-There are several means of interdimensional travel. By far the most common are portals; nearly every world has at least one. Most are invisible and can only be used with the right abilities or equipment, and the locals usually know nothing about them (Note: in game terms, the Saving Points ARE the portals!) Other means include spells and interdimensional vehicles.

-The Conspiracy knows about the existence of extradimensional worlds, but has yet to stablish a hold on any of them; they do have agents on various worlds trying to obtain as much information, powerful magic, and anything else their Masters might find useful. The Conspiracy is also trying to stablish deals with organizations like SHINRA. RPGC, on the other hand, is composed mainly of very active interdimensional travelers, and they help fight evil on any world.

-Each of these worlds has its own physical and magical laws (depending on the game system’s.) This means that a visitor from another world might find his special abilities useless there, or that any abilities he learns there won’t work on other worlds! Example: your character is a summoner from a Fantasy Game world, who finds himself in a Martial Arts Game world. Your summons won’t work there because they’re unique to your original world. On the other hand, you might find that you are now suddenly able to do all kind of logic-defying jumps and attacks in combat! (You still have to learn new combat moves on your own, though.) For story purposes, let’s assume that most abilities will work on other worlds unless otherwise stated. (All abilities work on Earth, except those tied to a specific World, such as the Ether abilities from Xenogears, which were dependant on a unique being (The “Wave Existence”) on that planet.) This also applies to magical items, though technological devices usually work well

-The existence of other inhabited planets (much less other universes!) is unknown on the vast majority of worlds, including Earth. Most Interdimensional Travelers (ITs) keep their origin a secret, often making up a cover up story. Talking openly about such things will either get the locals to think you’re crazy, or even get you pursued by mobs who want to destroy you or villains who want to exploit you! This is an even bigger problem for travelers who are obviously not human (or another local race.)

-Languages are, obviously, different from world to world. Most ITs use spells or devices that provide instant language translation. But note that oral and written languages are different for such purposes! Your spell might let you understand who you’re talking to, but not the book he or she is holding! (This is one reason to get local allies.)

-Currency from one world is worthless on another! A million gill may be a fortune on Gaia 7 (Final Fantasy 7) but it’s just a bunch of fake coins on Earth! (Note, however, that some worlds DO use the same or similar currency, usually those based on related games. The in-story reason may be that they were introduced by visits from ITs in the past.) To get money usable on a new world, you can sell items you are carrying (as long as they are familiar to the local merchants- don’t expect to sell a gun in a pre-gunpowder medieval town) but more likely you’ll have to work to get some. Most ITs just make money the old-fashioned way: salvage it out of the nearest dungeon!

-For my stories’ purposes, the events of all games (that are already on sale) have ALREADY happened, and just the way it was shown in the games. However, behind-the-scenes events (like RPGC or The Conspiracy being involved) may also have taken place at the same time. Also, optional sidequests are open fare. Example: While AVALANCHE fought Sephiroth, RPGC agents defeated the WEAPON monsters rampaging thru Gaia 7 at the time. (In the case of games with multiple endings or other variations, they will be decided on a case-by-case basis.)

-Time Travel is possible but it’s VERY limited: Powers, machines or portals that allow time travel are very rare. In addition, you can only visit certain moments in time, and changing history is very difficult (but not impossible.) The good side of this is that we can fight and kill our way thru most historical events without worrying too much about history being changed- as long as we don’t kill anybody who is historically important!

NEXT: Examples from various games!

Hmmm, I may be incorrect about this, but I believe the colonization of Wikld Arms Filgaia should also be noted somewhere in either the far future or the very far future. Reason I may be incorrect is that unfortunately I have not played any of the games enough to find such evidence and am basing it solely upon the anime, which may or may not be canon. Still, worth checking into perhaps.

Pink: If you mean the Anime that had one DVD packed in with Wild Arms 4, well I haven’t seen anything but that episode, so I can’t tell if it takes place on the future. In any case, THAT Filgaia is certainly not the same as that of the games, and in those I never saw anything directly connecting them to Earth (except perhaps for an obscure reference to interdimensional migration in the ancient past in WA3.) If anybody knows of any, now’s the time to tell me! :slight_smile:

Here are a few examples of various worlds for you.

Parallel: Worlds of Crono Trigger/Cross and Illusion of Gaia. Changes occur though influences of Lavos and the Light of the Comet)

Alien: Algo star system from Phantasy Star 1-4. Three planets with at least four different races, or more if you count atifical lifeforms.

Average: DW from 1-4 I think, (although it’s constistantcy may have only gone up to 3.) Breath of Fire 1-4, most of all RPG’s

Killmore: Indeed, Chrono Trigger and Illusion of Gaia have their own parallels, but I’m going to list them as Average Worlds to avoid confusion; the Parallel World listing is for games set on Parallel Earths.

The Phantasy Star games may be set on Earth’s distant future, I’m not clear on this, still doing research on them.

NOTE: I just updated my Interdimensional Notes section, please check it out!

I’ll agree with Crono Trigger as the only thing they had was the year numbering system and not much else. But Illusion of Gaia does take place on a Earth as pointed out at the end of the game when the world assumes its original shape.

As for the Phantasy Star games I don’t think they took place in the solar star system as pointed out at the end of Phantasy Star 2.

I also make a suggestion for Earthbound and Crystals. I’ll go on a limb a say that Crystals would have to be a parallel world since its big world ending war would have taken place in the early nineties. (provided its a future earth) As for Earthbound, I don’t really know.

I’d suggest putting Wasteland in your near-future earth, since it already fits with the post-nuclear war theme you have there, in a lot of ways. Fallout, as a direct sequal to wasteland, could go in, as well.

However coins that that are based off gold (gil surely sounds similar, though I don’t recall any official relation to gold) or other precious metals still have value.
If one tried to sell a gun in a place where noone had seen one, a demonstration of its qualities would probably a) Scare the people to death and make them lynch him b) Net him a hefty price for the weapon c) Make the local person of power ask for the secrets of the Fiery Arrow of Death/gonne . Of course if the local wizard can cast a fireball people won’t get impressed by a gun.

If you use Secret of Evermore, I think the Dog is a must. I second Arac’s proposal concerning Wasteland and the Fallouts.