The Light Fantastic - My brain tied itself into a knot, help me

At the beggining of the book, Rincewind is falling from the Edge. Then, when he falls, he finds himself into the Forest of Skund.

When I read it I thought the disc had a kind of 2nd level below, as if it were actually 2 discs one above the other and the lower one being wider; but both of them being a single piece (Yeah, I know I’m being confusing).

but then, a few minutes ago, I got a map and by luck I found the forrest, not far from Ankh-Morpork.

That’s what’s annoying me. If Rince and Twoflower fell from the Edge, how come they fell almost on Ankh-Morpork?

By the way: i have already finished The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic and I am close to finishing Mort. Next I’ll read Equal Rites and Sourcery.

Think: “A wizard did it.”
Because if I remember correctly, Rincewind has the spell of Octavo stuck in his head

Besides… When the whole world is on a turtle swimming though space, it’s possible that the turtle just picked them up…

And another thing… You gotta use Discworld logic…
“Mathematicians on the disc has calculated that the odds of something like that even existing are millions to one.
But Magicians on the disc have calculated that thing that have the odds of millions to one of hapening actually come true nine times out of ten.”

And I’d say that the odds of falling of the edge and then landing in the middle of the disc are about… Say… Millions to one. :stuck_out_tongue:

It doesn’t make sense. It’s Pratchett, deal with it.:hahaha;

Originally posted by Pierson
It doesn’t make sense. It’s Pratchett, deal with it.:hahaha;

It does make sense, but you have to use Discworld logic…

(Examples of Disc-logic)
Things that have the odds millions to one almost always come true…
If you can tell someone’s personality by “reading” the bumps of a persons head, then you should be able to alter it by giving that person bumps at the right place :stuck_out_tongue:
The fastest you can ever go is the speed of night. Because no matter how fast the light travels, there will always be darkness there until the light gets there, i.e. the darkness travelled faster and got there first. :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, the fastest thing is Monarchy. Night is darkness, which is absence of light, and therefore can’t have a speed properly said. But check this out (Extract from Mort):

Practically anything can go faster than Disc light, which is lazy and tame, unlike ordinary light. The only thing known to go faster than ordinary light is monarchy, according to philosopher Ly Tin Wheedle. He reasoned like this: you can’t have more than one king, and tradition demands that there is no gap between kings, so when a king dies the succession must therefore pass to the heir instantaneously. Presumably, he said, there must be some elementary particles — kingons, or possibly queons — that do this job, but of course succession sometimes fails if, in mid-flight, they strike an anti-particle, or republicon. His ambitious plans to use his discovery to send messages, involving the careful torturing of a small king in order to modulate the signal, were never fully expounded because, at that point, the bar closed

Originally posted by Ren
Actually, the fastest thing is Monarchy. Night is darkness, which is absence of light, and therefore can’t have a speed properly said.

Speed of Night exists… Death travels at the speed of night once… I believe it was in Mort actually :stuck_out_tongue:

Ohhh, what a coincedence. I just started reading The Light Fantastic, I’m at around page 107. I’ve just got into Discworld books and I read The Wyrd sisters before this one.

From what I’ve read so far, Pratchett is an excellent and very funny writer. The discworld series is also very surreal, which I ALWAYS love in books. I think I might be hooked on Discworld.

I would hardly call Pratchett surreal at all.

THIS is surreal. =)

The book says pretty specifically why it happened, although a second reading would probably point it out more clearly. The spell in Rincewind’s head stopped him from dying because it wanted to be said, which it couldn’t do if he died of asphyxiation in deep space.

Yeah, Cid’s right, although I thought it was the other seven spells that did it – the Change Spell that spouted up from the Book in the beginning changed the entire world from one in which Rincewind, Twoflower, and the Luggage were falling off the edge … to one in which they weren’t.

Simple common sense. You’ll figure it all out soon enough.

The medal goes to Yar. I had forgotten all about the change spell.

My current progress: I’ve read The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Mort, and now I am 50% done with Equal Rites.

And Poke: night’s speed has to be the same as light’s speed, otherwise what would there be between light and darkness? Since everything can travel faster than light, everything should be faster than night too.

One of the later books has the wizards postulate that there are two kinds of Discworld light - the regular, slow kind, and a faster kind that lets you see the slow kind. Unfortunately, the latter is too fast to see, so no one has ever actually been able to observe it. 8p

In “Thief of Time” it is said that light is three hundred miles per hour; “Small Gods” indicates that a) it is roughly equal to that of sound, and b) the Sun travels around the world at roughly twice that.

Yeah, but it gets slower under magical fields. And in The Light Fantastic, they say its speed is subsonic.

Originally posted by Ren
And Poke: night’s speed has to be the same as light’s speed, otherwise what would there be between light and darkness? Since everything can travel faster than light, everything should be faster than night too.

First of all, subjects like this weren’t made to be seriously discussed, and second, the darkness waits until the light gets there and then moves on. That’s why there’s no gap…
(Or we could call the gap Twilight Zone and send in gremlins to tear holes in the wings of airplanes and stuff…)

Well, since we’re on Discworld: I finished Equal Rites yesterday, and now I am almost 1/3 done with Sourcery.

Now, another thing that Pratchett left unclear except for those who are masters in paying uber attention: Eskarina got to understand what the carvings in her staff were during the battle against the monsters from the Dungeon Dimensions. Then, after the battle, the carvings were gone. But he does not say anything else about the carvings. What was their meaning, or at least what were they supposed to do?

Cuz they were a sort of “signature” of the staff’s previous owner, I guess. I may have to reread it, though.