The Last Samurai

Oh my god, Hades. You were so right. This movie does kick <B>ASS</B>

Even though it’s got Tom Cruise in it, it’s still a cool movie to watch.

Go see it, if you haven’t done so yet.

I hate you ;_;

Damn right it does. And not just because I’m a superhyper happy japanese ninja fanboy or whatever term you’ve coined for me :stuck_out_tongue:

If you haven’t seend it, you’re missing the best movie you’ll ever see. Ever.

points to “Favorie Movie” section of profile

I don’t know, it just seems like one of those movies that was created with the sole purpose to win Oscars. Plus, I can’t take Tom Cruise seriously since he’s so godamm short.:hahaha;

Originally posted by PanamaJack
I don’t know, it just seems like one of those movies that was created with the sole purpose to win Oscars. Plus, I can’t take Tom Cruise seriously since he’s so godamm short.:hahaha;
Actually, TLS was one of the only movies this year that wasn’t created to win oscars. They actually put effort into making it and catered to every detail of japanese culture during that time period. It’s not some crappy amazing-guy-with-katana-goes-on-killing-spree movie. In fact, there’s hardly any fighting at all untill the last 30 minutes. It’s mostly about story and atmosphere. It’s the type of movie we need more of.

Surprsingly, Hades is right. The movie was obviously built around atmosphere, and they did strive to get a lot of the culture right, such as the flowers at the end and the seppuku (or however it’s spelled). The movie, while oscer calibre, was not created for that sole purpose.

Plus, I can’t take Tom Cruise seriously since he’s so godamm short.

I think his alterior motive for going to Japan in the movie was so he could find people the same size as him.:hahaha;

But seriously, that movie did kick a whole lot of ass.

I’ll see if I can get a chance to see it. Something is seriously wrong about having Tom Cruise in the lead role in a movie called The Last Samurai though.

Everyone I know is raving about this film, I’m gonna go see it sometime next week.

It was allright, but I guess I didn’t like it as much as everyone on the boards.

Tom Cruise really should have died in the end

I thought it focused more on Tom Cruises character and less on the actual history of that time in Japan

Tom Cruise is not the lead character in this movie.

Let me repeat.

Ken Watanabe who played Katsumoto is the main character of the movie. It’s about him and his people, not Tom Cruise. Tom Cruise as Nathen Algren comes to a realization through Katsumoto and the other samurai and villagers. People need to stop saying oh this movie is silly with Tom Cruise in it. It isn’t. Hell, Tom Cruise doesn’t even do his usual overacting and overdramatizing of scenes.

I didn’t mind tom cruise,I thought he did a good job in the movie, and portrayed the “fish out of water” theme quite well.

The movie could have been much better if it did in fact focus in more on Katsumoto, but of course, most people would rather watch Tom Cruise then a japanese actor they haven’t heard of.

Originally posted by Kagon
[b]Tom Cruise is not the lead character in this movie.

Let me repeat.

Ken Watanabe who played Katsumoto is the main character of the movie. It’s about him and his people, not Tom Cruise. Tom Cruise as Nathen Algren comes to a realization through Katsumoto and the other samurai and villagers. People need to stop saying oh this movie is silly with Tom Cruise in it. It isn’t. Hell, Tom Cruise doesn’t even do his usual overacting and overdramatizing of scenes. [/b]

But he is still there, and they keep putting him on the posters. So it is still seriously wrong. *Nod, nod.

Yeah, most people won’t know who Ken Watanabe is. They put Tom Cruise and him on the posters because they could be considered the two main characters.

The moment when Katsumoto died was so sad ;_;

And I agree with Kagon.

I thought it was a good movie, although…

It was kind of… I dunno, phony maybe, when Tom Cruise survived at the end. I mean come on, out of all those experienced samurai, he lives?

It wouldn’t have been as good if he died, because then he couldn’t have done the speech at the end and made the emperor tell the other people to fuck off, and he wouldn’t have been able to kill Katsumoto honorably the way he did.

It was a good movie but,I’m going to petition about the innaccurate portrayal of ninjas in the film. Not one of the ninjas flipped out, and the fact they lost is symply absurd.

Originally posted by Frameskip
It was a good movie but,I’m going to petition about the innaccurate portrayal of ninjas in the film. Not one of the ninjas flipped out, and the fact they lost is symply absurd.

Did they use REAL ULTIMATE POWER at any point?

And I really, really need to see this film.:too bad;