The CIA is recruiting...

Theatre Arts people. No joke. At first I thought this was some sort of scam, but I got this email through a legitimate source (college mailer). I guess it makes sense, but it’s still seems funny.

Actual message:

The Career Services Center was recently notified that the Northeast
Recruitment Office of the Central Intelligence Agency is in urgent need of
candidates for both a full-time and an internship opportunity for
someone with a background in Theatre Arts. The positions are located in
Washington, DC/Northern VA.

Full-Time: Specialty skills in make-up, costume, wardrobe, product
design, and set construction and design. Someone who enjoys working with
their hands. This position will be available beginning in the summer or
fall of 2006, depending on how quickly the applicant acquires the
required security clearance. Time is of the essence, so students must apply
quickly. Approximately $40,000 to $50,000 annual salary. Applicants
should be Seniors working in/studying Theatre Arts, or have the skills
identified above.

Internship: Specialty skills in make-up, costume, wardrobe, product
design, and set construction and design. Someone who enjoys working with
their hands. This position will most likely be available for the
summer or fall of 2006, depending on how quickly the student acquires the
required security clearance. Time is of the essence, so students must
apply quickly. Applicants should be Sophomores working in/studying
Theatre Arts, or have the skills identified above.

Thats pretty cool, actually.

You going to apply?

as bizzare as it seems, it makes a lot of sense. operatives often use disguises which utilize all of the things that a theatre actor would use (make-up and such). that and the fact that actors are (apologies to the actors among us) natural liars. it’s part of their job description as actors and will be as operatives. keeping a straight face would be a significant thing to look for if you’re looking for undercover agents. so it all makes sense…there’s just no denying it’s kind of wierd.

Heh. Cool.

I know a bunch of people who’d fit for this.

$40,000-$50,000…damn. :o

Is that much?

Thats a lot, especially for something that’s essentially an entry-level position.

It’s doubtful that this job would involve field work. I think it would more likely involve production of training scenarios for videos or live training. Maybe propaganda videos.

That’d be a hell of a propaganda video. What would the CIA be propagating? UFO cover-ups and stuff like that?

They’re trying to make a new moon-landing video.

One hell of a propaganda video? What, how much can two people do?

With Maya or Lightwave, quite a lot. >_>

Haven’t you guys watched Team America? Those who did will understand why they need actors.

Sorry, the first thing that came to mind when I saw the first post was “EVERY BODY HAS AIDS!” and my mind is refusing to work now.

Not yet, but I’ve seen the oringal Thunderbirds and few other series, they did use actors. Actual Actors for some sequences, becouse it was impossible via puppets. (I First saw Team America Trailer and thought it was another Gerry Anderson Project. It was that Bed scene convinced me it wasn’t.) Thunderbirds and Team America type Puppets are that tricky to control you have at least 2 people to a puppet, one controling the most of the action, the other Lips and possibly the eyes. Most of the time people doing Live action-type, puppetry/Animation, usually have acted the secene out before hand. Then there is Derick Meddings who does lots of dammage! http://imdb.com/name/nm0575439/

Plus it looks like you are to make a set and Dress and do Makeup for the actors. I think there are some area they better re-made in a Sudio, than disrupting a place.

///\ You completely missed the point.

Well you know, what is a spy but an actor who stays in character ALL THE TIME.

The fields aren’t that divergent, when you really think about it. And obviously the CIA has, and noticed an overlap in the sets of desirable skills.

Wow, it kinda reminds me of that team america movie, excpet this is the CIA, lol.

Okay, now that my brain is merely jello instead of mush, I think I need to comment that theater makeup and stuff … well, it sucks when it’s viewed up close instead of onstage. They’re made to be viewed from, like, a bare minimum of fifteen feet or so, and really don’t look realistic up close.

With the right tools and a bit of practise im sure they could look realistic right up close. Also, 90% of most field work would involve people not paying you any attention, so it wouldnt matter since no-one is really going to be in your face to see if you are real or not. Unlike a theatre where you KNOW the person is all dressed up, in real life you dont have that luxury unless you are a paranoid freak :smiley: