the best song ever written

Well, after The Greatest Song in the World (as to it being Stairway to Heaven is certainly under debate), the next best song would be Hotel California by The Eagles. :smiley:

well, seeing the choices that all of you have made, I can see that the crack dealers of the world are still in business. The best song of course is ahem
Detachable Penis by King Missile

please read for further proof

I woke up this morning with a bad hangover
And my penis was missing again.
This happens all the time.
Itā€™s detachable.

[background singing begins: "detachable penis" over and over]

This comes in handy a lot of the time.
I can leave it home, when I think it's gonna get me in trouble,
or I can rent it out, when I don't need it.
But now and then I go to a party, get drunk,
and the next morning I can't for the life of me
remember what I did with it.
First I looked around my apartment, and I couldn't find it.
So I called up the place where the party was,
they hadn't seen it either.
I asked them to check the medicine cabinet
'cause for some reason I leave it there sometimes
But not this time.
So I told them if it pops up to let me know.
I called a few people who were at the party,
but they were no help either.
I was starting to get desperate.
I really don't like being without my penis for too long.
It makes me feel like less of a man,
and I really hate having to sit down every time I take a leak.
After a few hours of searching the house,
and calling everyone I could think of,
I was starting to get very depressed,
so I went to the Kiev, and ate breakfast.
Then, as I walked down Second Avenue towards St. Mark's Place,
where all those people sell used books and other junk on the street,
I saw my penis lying on a blanket
next to a broken toaster oven.
Some guy was selling it.
I had to buy it off him.
He wanted twenty-two bucks, but I talked him down to seventeen.
I took it home, washed it off,
and put it back on.  I was happy again.  Complete.
People sometimes tell me I should get it permanently attached,
but I don't know.
Even though sometimes it's a pain in the ass,
I like having a detachable penis.

[background voices continue to sing "detachable penis" for
 a while, then out]

I just downloaded Blood Brothers - The Shame. IMO Itā€™s noise, and if you care to read on, hereā€™s why:

The drummer completely ignores his job, which is to keep the beat and accentuate the rest of the band. Even during slow segments, he plays as hard and fast as he can with no conscious effort to create any structure in the song whatsoever. In fact, he seems to play in his own little world, completely ignoring the fact that heā€™s accompanying a band to a song that requires a far less agressive approach, and a little more finesse.

The singing is out of synch. The lead is unpleasantly whiney and off key. The backup is nearly inaudible, his deeper voice being drowned out by the leadā€™s whining. Theyā€™re also antiharmonious. They sing to a completely different tempo than the song. They sing to a completely different tempo than each other. On top of this, they canā€™t keep tempo, their speed fluctuates and falters constantly. This band essentially needs to do two things to improve vocal quality: Make the backup singer lead, and buy a fucking metronome.

The bassist has just about the same problems as the drummer. He plays as hard as he can in his own little world, ignoring the fact that a song is supposed to be a solid piece, not groups of unsynchronized instruments creating a fragmented and self-conflicting product.

In a nutshell, the band needs two things: A metronome and general finesse.

If anyone wants to hear a band that does correctly what this band fails to do, I recommend The Used.

Edit: I wanted to mention this, but I forgot to by the time I was done typing my post: The last minute and a half of ā€œThe Shameā€ is literally pure NOISE. It was quite appalling x.X;;;

Feed me to the Forest is still way better >=(

oh my god, hades, youre a pretentious asshole, and youre stuck in the 14th century musically. not to mention, your entire first paragraph is just completely objectively wrong. playing as hard as he can? youā€™re a fucking loon. you should listen to the rest of that record, and you can hear that the instrumentalists OBVIOUSLY have their shit together, and that the drummer can OBVIOUSLY play atleast 15 orders of magnitude harder than that. heā€™s also drumming with near LASER PRECISION. i donā€™t even understand how you could have consciously thought any of those ideas in the first paragraph without either not having heard the song, or just being a ridiculous contrarian asshole parody of yourself.

the entire premise of your second paragraph is simply absurd. you canā€™t hear the backup singer as loud as the lead? NO SHIT, ITā€™S A BACKUP VOCAL. aside from trading lines in the chorus, heā€™s supposed to be mixed lower, sometimes heā€™s even whispering. thats on purpose. THATS WHAT MAKES IT A BACKUP VOCAL.

the bassist? youre fucking kidding. heā€™s playing straight quarter notes the whole track. hes setting a foundation and building tension for the vocals throughout the verse. your big argument that the bands needs a metronome is a joke, and its on you. it just shows that you have a narrow and immature grasp of their broken rhythms. you have no fucking idea what youre talking about. you are a charlatan and you should be ashamed of yourself for your pretentious, masturbatory fawning. on top of that, you recommend THE FUCKING USED!

oh my god, hades, youre a pretentious asshole, and youre stuck in the 14th century musically. not to mention, your entire first paragraph is just completely objectively wrong. playing as hard as he can? youā€™re a fucking loon. you should listen to the rest of that record, and you can hear that the instrumentalists OBVIOUSLY have their shit together, and that the drummer can OBVIOUSLY play atleast 15 orders of magnitude harder than that. heā€™s also drumming with near LASER PRECISION. i donā€™t even understand how you could have consciously thought any of those ideas in the first paragraph without either not having heard the song, or just being a ridiculous contrarian asshole parody of yourself.

the entire premise of your second paragraph is simply absurd. you canā€™t hear the backup singer as loud as the lead? NO SHIT, ITā€™S A BACKUP VOCAL. aside from trading lines in the chorus, heā€™s supposed to be mixed lower, sometimes heā€™s even whispering. thats on purpose. THATS WHAT MAKES IT A BACKUP VOCAL.

the bassist? youre fucking kidding. heā€™s playing straight quarter notes the whole track. hes setting a foundation and building tension for the vocals throughout the verse. your big argument that the bands needs a metronome is a joke, and its on you. it just shows that you have a narrow and immature grasp of their broken rhythms or rhythm in general. you have no fucking idea what youre talking about. you are a charlatan and you should be ashamed of yourself for your pretentious, masturbatory fawning. on top of that, you recommend THE FUCKING USED! i have no idea how you sleep at night. you are despicable. like any actual creative process ever went into any THE USED song, other than ā€œhow can i prove that im emo enough to bone some sad chick after the showā€. you disgust me.

No need to flame Hades, Sil. For once, he was actually rather rational without any sense of flaming.