the beauty of HDTV

I’m bitching about jaggies. I don’t like them. I don’t like seeing pixel noise or hard edges where there aren’t supposed to be any. Standard definition signals on HDTVs make everything look cell shaded. The highlights and shadows are all flat chunks of color and you can see hard edges between them if your eyes are used to picking up on that kind of thing. Mine are, because I spend a lot of time on art.

Go to youtube, find a relatively high quality video, and watch it in fullscreen. That’s what HDTVs look like to me all the time unless I’m playing 360. 360 gives the only crystal clear signal I’ve ever seen.

Whereas CRT TVs are always smooth as silk. The only downside is scanlines, which can make the colors look a little unsaturated, but that’s never been a problem for me.

Exactly, you’re not using an HD signal. If you used an HD signal , you’d see everything as if it was on the 360.

:thud: Most games you can’t tell the difference, unless there is optimization for one system over the other (this was the case with the Madden 2007, early in the ps3 life cycle).

Actually you picked them for the finals. Do you ever have any fucking clue what you are talking about?

The irony is that the PS3 is supposed to be a superior machine. While graphically its been difficult to find differences in the games that were released on both consoles, in terms of performance, there’ve been complaints with the PS3 especially (like the orange box).

The Windows and Xbox 360 versions were produced and published by Valve Corporation…The PlayStation 3 version was outsourced to and produced by Electronic Arts

If EA did a rushed / low budget / shitty job, it doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with hardware capabilities.

Valve outsourced it because they found the platform unworkable. EA apparently didn’t have much luck either.

EA has published multiple titles for the PS3, they can work it just fine. Valve’s co-founder doesn’t like the cell processor because it’s not Microsoft. It’s easier and cheaper to make apps for one system, so he cries because of the additional expense:

“Absolutely. I think [PS3 is] a waste of everybody’s time. Investing in the Cell, investing in the SPE gives you no long-term benefits. There’s nothing there that you’re going to apply to anything else. You’re not going to gain anything except a hatred of the architecture they’ve created. I don’t think they’re going to make money off their box. I don’t think it’s a good solution.”

It’s the same as saying “why bother with W3C standards for web applications when we can just make them for IE?”

So basically we should just eliminate all competition and games should only be developed using the Windows OS. He’s FOS, just wanting what’s best for his profit margin in the short term. Which is fine from his perspective…but it’s obviously a horrible philosophy for the industry and the consumers. See 2600, N64, etc.

You conveniently left out "Newell has criticised Sony’s console in the past, once referring to it as “a total disaster on so many levels.”

I didn’t see that quote; it just further illustrates his shitty attitude towards the console because it’s not MS. Is it any surprise his feelings were reflected in the final outsourced product? Quality comes from the top down, and requires the appropriate budget and resources. If EA isn’t paid to do a quality job, they’re not going to.

If you look, you’ll easily find plenty of quotes of programmers / developers praising the PS3’s multi-processor capability and horsepower. The TOB patch also allegedly fixes the issues - EA just did it wrong.

Hmmm nothing in his statement even refers to ms.

MS and ps3 cell are the only two platforms for the game - he has a strong preference for MS and I’ve never seen any other quotes with so much disdain for the cell.

My point is I think the performance issues with TOB came about due to poor development by EA, not inferior hardware. And Valve fixed the problems with a patch after getting feedback from customers, which shows EA & Valve didn’t perform adequate testing before releasing the PS3 version.

:chupon:

Actually you picked them for the finals. Do you ever have any fucking clue what you are talking about?
No. I said I wanted them to win but that they weren’t playing like they deserved to. Get your facts straight or shut the fuck up, hypocrite.

Exactly, you’re not using an HD signal. If you used an HD signal , you’d see everything as if it was on the 360.
Exactly indeed. I like HD material. I don’t like HDTVs playing SD material, which is mainly what I’ve seen put through them. That’s what gets my goat.

Also yeah, I’m one of the people disappointed in the PS3 so far. It’s supposed to be powerful but it seems like all the games are underproduced. I guess no one wants to dump a lot of cash and manpower into such a question mark of a console yet. Or I dunno, this whole last paragraph has mainly just been bullshit, just throwing that idea out there. The point is, I’m not impressed yet and that’s not a good sign for a console that was built to impress. I’m still pumped for FFXIII though.

Tell your friends to not be such cheap asses.

:ulty:

I played Half Life, TFC and Counter Strike for years and to see Sinistral cite Gabe Newell made me almost fall over. That makes me pretty happy lol.

If you’re gonna spend the money on an HDTV and the 360 with the cables and whatnot I don’t see why you wouldn’t be down to pay for the actual HD Signal from your cable company. Hell, if you live in an apartment you could probably get it for free along with the rest of the cable channels. You get lucky sometimes.

It sucks though, for me, because the guy I’m living with for the short time I’m still in Columbus has a nice HDTV and I have a 360. So I bought the cords and it has been totally worth it.

Speaking of - Sinistral I need your gamertag.

I need yours, too. Mine’s RPGCLunaris.

My gamertag is GeneticSin but I disconnected XBL Gold since I wasn’t really using it for anything. I liked Halo 3, but since I rarely played online, I never got good enough to play competitively, which got irritating.

Aw man, bummer. Hook that shit back up dude I can always use a good doubles partner. I thought you played on Legendary? That’s a good start, I can’t believe you got owned that hard. Most people don’t even play the campaign.

Well, let me know if you turn it back on at least. We haven’t played anything together in a loooong time.

To be honest I only had one month of the Gold account, and that was the free month that came with the console.

GTA4 online is frickin’ sweet, thought.