Terry Pratchett Knighted

I’ve been reading any of his Discworld ones focused around witches. I love them, especially the footnotes. They’re my favorite thing ^^(my parents really enjoy those too)
I just finished reading Monstrous Regiment. Fun times! I love cross dressing.

Heh :wink: I don’t know, I liked Men at Arms better (haven’t read Soul Music yet), but it was better than Maskerade*. It’s not as if Times sagged somewhere or failed to keep my attention, but it didn’t really engage me. I consider The Horde its highlight.

*I don’t really like what I’ve read of the Witches (Tiffany excepted), so take that with a grain of salt.

That is great. Pratchett definitely deserves it. My favorite stories are the City Watch stories. I always liked how Vimes and Carrot are opposites yet alike.
In my opinion, though, the two funniest reccuring jokes are Sergeant Detritus’s “Piecemaker” and anything involving the Librarian. My dad, who’s a physicist, laughed so hard when I told him about L-Space.

My favorite books are the City Watch books (the best of them being Night Watch, in my opinion), and the Moist VOn Lipvig books. I love the watch because of a strange fascination with the law, and how it accurately portrays them as people who aren’t perfect, but have to try to be. Vimes’ struggle with what he wants to do and what is right is always fascinating to read about. And Moist, well… he just seems the most human character of the entire discworld. He feels more realistic than any other character I’ve seen.

I believe Pterry has said that Vimes is his favorite character to write for, so that probably comes across. Night Watch is definitely one of my favorites, as is Going Postal, but I felt Making Money and Thud! were a bit directionless.

really? i thought that making money was the best.
oddly i never really liked the rincewind books much.

due to his alzheimers he claims that he will only be able to write about 7 or 8 more books. (10 if it doesn’t affect him too quickly)

I actually have never read any of his books. He sounds interesting though so I think I’ll look for his books next time I visit my local library. Anyone have a suggestion for a good first Pratchett book?

Any of the books are good to start with, as they can all stand pretty well on their own, although some better than others.
E.g. Guards Guards and Men at Arms are a good start for the books centered around people in Ankh-Morpork, because those books are pretty much the start of the Watch and introduces Vimes, Carrot, Detrius, Angua and other characters that will reappear all the time.

I think I started with one of the Witches books, and then read a Rincewind (as far as I can tell, you can pretty much split Discworld in four. Witches, Rincewind, Ankh-Morpork and those few that don’t really fit into one of those three categories) before reading Guards Guards and Men at Arms, and I must say that I like the ones about Ankh-Morkpork people best.
They just seem to have a slightly different feel than the Witches and Rincewind that I like better.

On the one hand, the books generally get better as time goes on. On the other hand, reading the later books before the earlier ones may lessen the impact of the earlier ones. Although outside the Watch and Witch books there aren’t many character story changes, the Discworld as a whole evolves and changes as time goes on (starting as a fairly generic fantasy parody to what is now almost entirely a pastiche of the modern world). I find that growth really interesting, so I’d encourage you to start at the beginning if you can. The Colour of Magic is probably the worst Discworld book there is, but even the very next one (The Light Fantastic) is a lot better.

To sum up: The Color and Magic and The Light Fantastic are not great books, but they set the stage nicely, so don’t let them turn you off the series.

i started with mort and sourcery, the books have gone past the intro stage and actually start to get into gear. Starting with colour of magic isn’t always a good idea
(ive tried making people start with COM but most found it offputting.)

the tiffany books and the watchmen books worked best when getting others into the series.

Yeah, I’d personally recommend starting with Guards Guards and Men at Arms.

Check also the reading order. I’d recommend Guards! Guards! as it seems -to me- to be the most interesting of the intro books. Mort is good and you could try The Wee Free Men if you haven’t got a problem with child protagonists. If you get hooked read The Colour of Magic and the Light Fantastic; it’ll pay off later. Also, one of them has one of my favorite Pterry quotes.