Terry Pratchett Knighted

Say hello to Sir Terry Pratchett.

Seriously, it’s great news. He completely deserves it.

Oh wow, that really is awesome news :slight_smile: Put a big, goofy smile on my face.

Slowpoke. Congratulations to Sir Terence.

'Bout time. Awesome. :victoly:

Awesomesauce. :smiley:

Does this mean Mister Pratchett will cover me if I’m attacked while in critical state? :3

Out of curiousity, is knighting someone these days basically a commendation of life achievements, or more like the ancient practice?

You pretty much get knighted for service to something or other… I imagine Pratchett’s was due to service in literature.

Do not accuse him of that.

'Nuff said.

he was knighted for both ‘services for literature’ AND ‘services for humanity’ (his alzheimers funding and publicity)
which is why he’s been knighted and not just any author

I’m sure the Queen just dug Night Watch.

Wait, is the Alzheimer’s thing for real? I thought it was one of his jokes.

In any case, congratulations to Sir Terry. I’m pretty sure he’ll find a way to turn his entire knighting experience into a joke in a book… :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s quite real, he was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s last year, and so far has donated close to a million bucks to Alzheimer’s research as well as gone on speaking tours and done interviews championing the case for funding dementia research.

Damn, sorry to hear that. He still sounds pretty functional, and sarcastic as ever, which is why I was doubtful. Hope they can help him or, at the very least, that he gets to write one last classic book while he still can. (And I’m not even a fan, I haven’t read any of his novels, mostly because I fell out of the novel-reading habit years ago, but in his case I’m sorely tempted to start again.)

Thankfully the type he has seems to be leaving his cognitive skills quite well at the moment, at least in terms of language and narrative. We’ll have to see how it pans out.

I have literally every Discworld book ever written except for one or two of the more esoteric ones (The Last Hero, the Science of Discworld ones). I have a shelf with nothing on it but Pratchett. :sunglasses:

I have every Discworld book excluding for the Science Ones, Amazing Maurice, and Mort (I had Mort, but I lent it out and never got it back. Oh well.) but including The Last Hero, which I rank among my favorates.

Cid: Have you read Nation?

No… I have it reserved at the library (did it as soon as it came out, but it’s still not in the library system) and am waiting for it to come out in paperback to buy it.

I’ve also read Pterry’s earlier books (Strata, The Dark Side of the Sun, The Carpet People) but they weren’t that great. I do have the Johnny books and Good Omens, which are all awesome.

I keep meaning to check out the Johnny books. I’ve only read Only You Can Save Mankind thus far.

I finished reading Interesting Times today; I wasn’t overwhelmed.

Really? That’s one of my favorites. 8-( It’s more of a farce though… his later books (starting around The Fifth Elephant, maybe one or two earlier) are much deeper and more intriguing.