Ten thousand music downloads!

Hm, not sure if that goes here but I couldn’t find out a better board.

Now here’s the link:
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/9/5/05113/70314

Fed up with RIAA or similar institutions? Support those people!

Am I the only one who thinks the RIAA are going too far?

The RIAA has had limited success at suing the publishers of file sharing software. Some systems, like Gnutella, are so decentralized that there is little hope of finding anyone to sue. So now they are coming after the individual file traders - meaning you. The article above says the RIAA has already obtained subpoenas against 871 file traders, and will likely have obtained many more by the time you read this. They are asking for $150,000 in damages from each file trader for each song whose copyright they have violated. What will they use the money for? Suing more file traders, of course.

And this as well: http://theregister.co.uk/content/6/32731.html

Yeah. Really. That’s not fucked up at all. Nossire.

No. What exactly do they think they’re going to accomplish? They’ll never get even a few percent of downloading people to stop, so why bother wasting money on something that they’ll never profit from doing. Plus other countries (me!) don’t give a damn about them, so again; pointless.

Cool link though. Artist deserve more of their own money, not having it taken by the industries. That doesn’t mean Kazaa’s getting uninstalled though…

Originally posted by Pierson
Cool link though. Artist deserve more of their own money, not having it taken by the industries.

Yeah, they get like 15 cents per sold CD. They always earned money by selling fanstuff and giving concerts. So, spread the word and this link, this is most likely the most effective weapon against the RIAA other than lawsuits.

I’de rather download good music illegally than crap like those bands he listed.:moogle:

What is there to earn from suing people who doesn’t have any money, beyond bankcorruptcy?

Too bad too many artists are brain washed by the record companies, or has at least sold their soul.

Originally posted by Exo
I’de rather download good music illegally than crap like those bands he listed.:moogle:

That means you listened to all of them? Wow, you are fast.:noway:

Psh. There are ways to bypass the copyrighted music shit anyways.

1: Rename the title, info, etc.
2: Zip or Rar it
3: Reformat it (it is EASY to take an mp3, convert it to WAV and plug it into a MOD file or such as an unrecongnizable or unregistered banned music file type)

And does the list only ban p2p sharring? They can’t do away with FTP’s now, can they? Or LAN?

Or am I just computer illiterate?

Originally posted by Exo

Yeah, those bands are just bitching because they didn’t make money in the first place.

Heh, I heard the RIAA accidently sued a 15 year old girl on welfare. Yeah, the RIAA sure are cool.

…but really, I’m sure all of you hate the RIAA already.

Originally posted by Nulani
[b]What is there to earn from suing people who doesn’t have any money, beyond bankcorruptcy?

Too bad too many artists are brain washed by the record companies, or has at least sold their soul. [/b]

It’s not about the money, obviously. They know they aren’t going to get that kind of money. The point is that it is scare tactics. Sue a thousand people, how many more thousands will quit sharing files because they’re afraid they will be next?

The RIAA are f-cking liars and hypocrites. They claim to be losing money because of file-sharing, when the real reason is because of overpricing their products. They made $900 million alone last year. They claim that the reason CD prices are so high is “to cover production costs”. All these legal pursuits will do is drive the file-sharing community further underground out of their reach. One day, they will go the way of Standard Oil or even Enron. The day will come when music will be free whether the RIAA or the artists themselves like it or not. The days of the RIAA are limited.:mwahaha: :hahaha; :fungah: :enguard:

Originally posted by ahkeeyuu
The RIAA are f-cking liars and hypocrites. They claim to be losing money because of file-sharing, when the real reason is because of overpricing their products. They made $900 million alone last year. They claim that the reason CD prices are so high is “to cover production costs”. All these legal pursuits will do is drive the file-sharing community further underground out of their reach. One day, they will go the way of Standard Oil or even Enron. The day will come when music will be free whether the RIAA or the artists themselves like it or not. The days of the RIAA are limited.:mwahaha: :hahaha; :fungah: :enguard:

I find your naivety disturbing. The RIAA will still be kicking for a while; they have enough money and legal support to tough it out. And if music is free, nobody will be making it, because the REAL reason most artists make music is to get rich. Sad, isn’t it?

And has it really worked? Because I still get four million Kazaa users. Granted, it’s scared quite a few, but many of those have gone to more underground file sharing programs, such as eDonkey and Overnet. The RIAA cannot stop file sharing, much like we cannot stop Wert from trying to ram Linux threads down our throats.

Originally posted by Maboroshi Abyll
They always earned money by selling fanstuff and giving concerts.
This may be true for a few artists (the ones who draw stadium crowds every time they play, maybe), but for the most part, tours often lead to a <i>loss</i> of money. Artists tour because that is a very effective promotional mechanism, especially if their label doesn’t feel like promoting them anywhere, but it’s not a big money maker.