Tell me about Preacher

This is actually a thread to rant on something that annoys the hell out of me.

My problem is with stores here. We don’t have that R, M, 17+ or whatever thingie parental-advisory related stuff. And there’s a lot of prejudice here against teenager and adult media. Stupid people just think that “if it has speech baloons, it is for kids” and “if it’s an electronic game, it’s for kids”. I’ve already seen many times Discworld, Sandman, etc. among books intended to be read by 8-10 year-olds. And those are just the lighter ones. The most surreal thing I’ve seen in my comic-addict life was Fritz the Cat-related. I was just a kid… The owner of the store was arguing with an adult (should’ve been a parent) and then he (owned owner) picks the magazine, opens, looks, shouts “What the hell! Do they put these things in comics?” and the other day there was no more Fritz being sold.

It’s not like they are trying to sell that stuff to kids in order to sell more. It’s more like they think it’s strange and look at you in a very worried way if you’re 21 and are buying comics or videogames. And then, here and there, we see stores having problems with the law for selling erotic or violent material to kids. Really, the only times they stop to ponder whether it’s okay to sell comic magazines to kids is when the eroticity or violence is stamped right at the cover, like with Serpieri and Manara works.

On Ocotber 12, we are going to have All Kids’ Day…

…Last thing I saw, there was a bookstore announcing comic magazines prices 20% off on this Wednesday. Among the magazines being sold, I could see The Authority and Sin City. None of the clerks had ever read it (and I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t even hear about the Sin City movie). A guy I know, who’s almost 30, picked a Sin City one and the clerks were saying among themselves “What a big kid! Isn’t he too old for this?”.

So here’s where this relates to the title of the thread. Hellblazer, Death: The Time of Your Life and Maus won’t have prices off, but somehow Preacher got into the discount list. So, I’ve been wondering… To hell with all the moral lesson above, this is a chance to replenish my magazine collection.

However, I know close to nothing about this series. So, talk about Preacher. I’d rather analyze whether I should buy some of it or not by hearing you guys than looking for reviews in Google.

Preacher is basically about Jesse Custer, a preacher who is possessed by some force called “Genesis,” which allows him to make anybody obey his commands. His goal is to find God, who has abandoned his creation because Genesis has more power than he does, in order to bring God to justice.

Here’s a LOT better info than I can provide:

It’s a good comic if you are a fan of people getting their faces ripped off, which should be everyone. Be sure to check this one out.

Preacher is a book you either love or hate. I quite enjoyed it myself, it has a great story.

Though I usualy skim over the most violent bits. :hahaha;

Garth Ennis has always hated religion and PREACHER was his way to mock it full blast. I’m not going to say he isn’t a good writer, but in the end his stuff always seems pretentious- like he claims to have a message but really doesn’t have any. Like GG said: you either like his stuff or you hate it; I hate it. But, your call.

Sorry to hear that your homeland also suffers from a lack of understanding of comic books and their fans, Ren; I went thru that myself. But that applies to more than comics. I remember when they aired the COBRA Anime in a local Sunday morning cartoon show… not realizing the series freatured frequent upper female nudity! (Look, mommy! Bouncing boobies!!) :hahaha; (it was yanked out of the air rather quickly.) :smiley:

Well, I got to see a couple of magazines from this series and they had nothing to do with the protagonist. One was about Cassidy kicking another vampire’s ass for trying to be like Dracula and that guy from Interview with the Vampire, and the other one was the story of Arseface as told by himself. And I must say, I liked the first one and laughed out lout at every other page with Arseface’s story.

to be honest i think that’s kind of a stupid storyline.

I remember when they aired the COBRA Anime in a local Sunday morning cartoon show… not realizing the series freatured frequent upper female nudity! (Look, mommy! Bouncing boobies!!) (it was yanked out of the air rather quickly.) :smiley:

Wait,what!?when did this happened?

Mune: About 20 years ago, in the Sandra Zaiter Kid’s Show. When I heard they were going to air Cobra (a series I was familiar with thru manga) I assumed it’d be a censored version.

Nope, there it was, right from the first episode: top-heavy women losing their dresses every episode with clockwork precision. I was stupefied that NOBODY seemed to be aware of the show’s content. And even more that it took like a month before they yanked it off the air. But HEY, I didn’t mind. :wink:

Nope, there it was, right from the first episode: top-heavy women losing their dresses every episode with clockwork precision. I was stupefied that NOBODY seemed to be aware of the show’s content. And even more that it took like a month before they yanked it off the air. But HEY, I didn’t mind. :wink:

That program was that old!? wow I certainly would have like to see how that was,ever since the program went out nothing has ever been worth watching at that time and any other time(I don’t have cable).

On a more recent case like the one you mention they once gave Family Guy at 7:30AM it didn’t last a month.

A man in a red coat wanders the Wild West on another planet eating donuts and not killing anyone. He is also a living battery and has a giant feathery cannon for an arm he calls out when he’s super-annoyed

That also sounds like a stupid storyline. The genius is in the execution.

Preacher is great but Ennis is very very very bad at not letting his prejudices and favourite archetypes get in the way of story and characters.

OH MAN ANOTHER GUY WITH GLOWING EYES AND SHADES AND AN IRISH ACCENT WE GET IT ALREADY ENNIS YOU’RE FROM IRELAND.

The Saint of Killers is a stone-cold badass however.

edit; so is Herr Starr. Read it for these two reasons alone.

at the risk of sounding crazy, it was not the wild west, though quite obviously made to resemble it, it was another planet. also, the whole thing is not about eating donuts and not killing people. Vash wandered around basically taking his time, but looking for his brother to avenge Rem and all the other people he killed, as Rem had said, “take care of Knives.” then there was the whole thing with the assassins and Legato, the psychic killer freak and the fact that he ended up with Vahses arm was pretty wierd, but the whole thing was pure brilliance as far as i’m concerned. there…now i sound like a freak.

Also, there were no obvious prejudices through the story like trying to “bring God to justice.” that’s an offense just waiting to happen for many people.

Oh yeah, and a priest lugging a cross around on his back that turns into a fuckign cannon isn’t offensive in the least.

Best priest ever.

But he still had the downfall for children.
>.>;;

Is it because I’m reading this out ot context, or am I right when I think this just had to do with pedophilia?

umm…no. if you remember, he had been physically abused by his father when he was young and this prompted him to work with orphanages. he didn’t want to see other people hurt like he had been.

and how is the cross punisher offensive? if you think about it it really is the most practical form to use for what it does.

kinda.

you have to FOCUS
<small><small>BIG POWER</small></small>