Tales of Symphonia advice

Alrighty. I’m at Triet, going into the fire seal dungeon thing. I’ve been looking at some FAQs to get oriented as to what titles I wanted and how to get some.

Questions I have:

Should I bother getting the Berzerker title? (256+ fights in hard or mania mode). What boosts does this give me?

Should I bother getting the eternal apprentice title? (using the wooden swords until I kill Kilia at Palmacosta)

Also, I’ve been using mostly strikes and not techs with Lloyd because well…I just can’t keep using techs. I need to do strikes to get his TP back up. This is boosting the gauge in the strike position. How do I get that into the tech position? I figure I’ll have to wait til I get some of those TP rings to regenerate his TP so I can use more techs.

Furthermore, some FAQs say I should have double demon fang after using demon fang 50x. I have used it over 100x and I do not have it. The same applies to other techs like sonic strike. Do they mean 50 KILLS? I don’t get it.

Last question: how do I perform long combos?

Thanks guys!

I usually don’t bother with titles by the end of the game I have everyone wearing costumes. For the the combos usually unison attacks work well try, attacks that give you a lot of hits such as Air Thrust or Tempest. However the way to get the most hits with a unison attack is by using prism stars (the unison attack used by Genis and Raine). Prism Stars alone hit for 30+ hits. To make it you need to use either Genis’s Tidal Wave, Explosion, Ground Dasher, Cyclone or Indignation and Raine’s Ray spell. I think ground dasher gives you the most hits followed by todal Wave then Cyclone. Indignation and Explosion only hit once. Other good techs for getting lots of hits include Triple Ray Satellite and Lloyd’s Tempest attacks.

What is this costume thing?

Costumes are titles you get very, very late in the game that change the outfit for the characters. Some are cute, some are silly, and so on. They provide no stat bonus however so you shouldn’t use one when levelling. The costumes are a formal wear outfit, a beach outfit, and a specific one for each character (all but one character have three outfits).

As for Double Demon Fang, you can only learn if if Lloyd is on the T side of the scale. Since you said he was on the S side in another question, he will learn Fierce Demon Fang instead.
(You also have to be level 16.)

As a side note, you can only learn techs that are listed in blue in the move list. This means that you’ve met the level requirement, but not another requirement (usually having to use another move 50 times).

Just curious… are you using my FAQ at all? =P

Should I bother getting the Berzerker title? (256+ fights in hard or mania mode). What boosts does this give me?

It gives Lloyd the best HP and Strength boosts at Level ups, but it really doesn’t matter if you get it or not, since you’ll most likely have tons of HP once you’re done with about half of the game.

Should I bother getting the eternal apprentice title? (using the wooden swords until I kill Kilia at Palmacosta)

I see no point in getting it. Unless you want all the titles in the game, then no, I wouldn’t bother with it.

Also, I’ve been using mostly strikes and not techs with Lloyd because well…I just can’t keep using techs. I need to do strikes to get his TP back up. This is boosting the gauge in the strike position. How do I get that into the tech position? I figure I’ll have to wait til I get some of those TP rings to regenerate his TP so I can use more techs.

Are you asking how to switch to the T side? If you look at the Ex Gem’s descriptions, to the right of them, there should be either S-Type or T-Type. Majority rules in this game, so if you have three Ex Gems equipped, and you want to be a T type, then change at least two of the Ex Gems to T-Types.

Furthermore, some FAQs say I should have double demon fang after using demon fang 50x. I have used it over 100x and I do not have it. The same applies to other techs like sonic strike. Do they mean 50 KILLS? I don’t get it.

Double Demon Fang is indeed on the T side. Fierce Demon Fang is on the S side.

Last question: how do I perform long combos?

You’ll be able to perform higher combos as you learn more techs that do multiple strikes. Most of them usually include two attackers to perform.

Thanks guys!

Sure thing.

I can’t get Lloyd to go on the T side. He is all the way on the S side.

If you want to change him to the T side, open up the Ex Gems section. Highlight the Ex Gems you’re using, and it’ll give you the description of the power you’re using on it. To the right of the description, it says either S-Type or T-Type.

If you only have one Ex Gem equipped on him, and want him to be a T-Type, then change the power you’re using on that Ex Gem to a T-Type. If you’re using two, then switch both to T-Types, etc…

It’s pretty much majority rules, so if you have three on, then at least two of the three must be T-Types if he’s going to learn the T-Type skills.

One last thing, if you want to learn his T-Techs, you’ll have to forget all the techs he learned while he was on the S side.

Except for the ones that are neither S or T type.